Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
1/17/22 9:36 a.m.

Got our Covid booster shots Saturday afternoon- the 2nd shot had knocked both of us out of commission for the following day so we figured planning for that in this case was likely wise, and with dire warnings of a winter storm hitting on Sunday we figured it was the perfect time to be down for the day when we likely wouldn't have done anything anyway. We planned well because we were both pretty much out of it- but me far more than The Dancer. The fatigue I could deal with- but the varying nausea that kept me from eating much during the day was not fun at all. It's pretty rare that something will knock my appetite out- but it certainly did. 

Mostly back to normal this morning, but having eaten so little yesterday is making it hard to stick with my plan of intermittent fasting and not eating until after noon. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
1/17/22 12:25 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Mostly back to normal this morning, but having eaten so little yesterday is making it hard to stick with my plan of intermittent fasting and not eating until after noon. 

I'm not a physician, nutritionist, personal trainer, and nor did I stay at a Best Western last night... But it does seem like a recurring theme on training and nutrition is the need to adapt in the face of reality. Right now it seems more like you're trying to recover from a physical upset, not just having a normal morning. Yesterday was a spike of caloric deficit. Get yourself fed and go back to normal when you've gotten back to normal.

Says the unsolicited advice from a non-expert too late to do anything with...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/17/22 2:56 p.m.

Whenever I go to the grocery store, it's pretty much a given that there will always be one item I forget to buy.

Ashyukun (Robert)
1/17/22 3:23 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Whenever I go to the grocery store, it's pretty much a given that there will always be one item I forget to buy.

This is sadly very much me, much to the considerable annoyance of The Dancer. I can't count the number of times I've had to turn right around after getting home an go back for what I forgot (thankfully we live like 5 minutes from the store).

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/17/22 4:32 p.m.

Even when I have a list.

In my pocket.

That I forgot all about.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/17/22 4:37 p.m.

I put a line through each item on my list after I put it in the cart.  Helps keep me from missing anything.  I also try to order the list roughly based on the route I take through the store, so I should mostly be able to work from the top down.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/17/22 4:51 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Wife gives me a list and I fly through and get it all.  THEN she contacts me for one more thing and I reply that I've left the store and the window has closed.   

That really pisses her off.  Like I should linger and look around.   

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/17/22 5:20 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I put a line through each item on my list after I put it in the cart.  Helps keep me from missing anything.  I also try to order the list roughly based on the route I take through the store, so I should mostly be able to work from the top down.

This assumes you actually have a list.  wink  I somehow think I can remember everything I want to get, but unfortunately my memory capacity is (N-1.)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/17/22 5:22 p.m.

Smartphone-based grocery list apps are da bombitty-bomb.

DW and I share a list; it updates in real time, so we can add items at any time, and divide-and-conquer if necessary, with no duplication or missed items.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/17/22 5:31 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
eastsideTim said:

This assumes you actually have a list.  wink  I somehow think I can remember everything I want to get, but unfortunately my memory capacity is (N-1.)

More than 2-3 items, and it is guaranteed I will forget something if I don't have a list.  I'm extremely absent-minded, so have had to develop a lot of strategies to be a functional adult.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/17/22 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I wouldn't say I've watched enough to have defined reasons I don't like it except that I don't really like it. I had an ex gf that was into Studio Ghibli that she tried to get me to like but I didn't like any I saw. Other animated stuff I like a lot, like Futurama and I did like Avatar a lot( I don't think that's considered anime though) so it's not that.

I'll give the anime Bebop a try and maybe I'll have a definitive answer 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
1/17/22 6:28 p.m.

I woke up at 7am and started on my personal E36 M3 list. Installed some new LED shop lights, worked on my daughter's car, started laundry, etc. SWMBO crawls out of bed after 10am. She comes out to the garage at 11am while I'm in the middle of throwing out some of my old E36 M3. Her immediate response is "don't by throw out any of my stuff". You mean like the 10 boxes and steamer trunk full of mementos I moved out here two years ago, asked you to go through and hasn't moved since? Wouldn't berkeleying dream of it dear.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/22 6:36 p.m.

I forget.

Hey, you should write it down so you don't forget.

Then I forget where I wrote it down. 

If I could remember where I wrote it down, I would remember what it was I was trying to remember in the first place.

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
1/17/22 7:23 p.m.

Rant #2 for the day. WTF is the scent on the free dog poop bags at the park and why does it have to be so strong? I forgot to grab a bag. My fault. Dog poops of course. I grab a bag and pick up his poop and now I reek of dog poop bag scent. Even washing my hands doesn't make it go away completely and whatever it is makes me itch. berkeley.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/17/22 8:08 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Dog E36 M3 smells better than just about any perfume that they use on any bag.

I'd also rather smell trash than garbage bag. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/17/22 8:11 p.m.

Looks like I'll be spending a few days in the RV in the backyard to keep away from the rest of the family. I made it two years without getting caught. Two years of working in and out of hospitals, in and out of covid wards. I knew it was pretty much inevitable, but it still sucks. I don't have time to be sick. 

I will say, the RV is better than being stuck in a room. 

20220117_174851_HDR

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/17/22 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I hope it passes quickly.  

I got talked into watching Afterlife on Netflix.  This was a mistake, It's a really good show but way too relatable.     

mjrj (Forum Supporter)
mjrj (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/17/22 9:01 p.m.

One of the reasons I like the Reno/Sparks area is the clearance shelves at Summit Racing.  I can easily spend an hour or two just looking at everything there.

Went there with my friend that is a local and there's 1 clearance table, with a K&N filter kit, and three clutches for a Ford 4.6 engine.  Was told that they ship all their clearance items to their new Texas location.   I am disappoint.

At least Scheels is still there.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/17/22 10:04 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

If you get bored, hungry, thirsty or stir crazy you can drive away.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/17/22 10:40 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Looks like I'll be spending a few days in the RV in the backyard to keep away from the rest of the family. I made it two years without getting caught. Two years of working in and out of hospitals, in and out of covid wards. I knew it was pretty much inevitable, but it still sucks. I don't have time to be sick. 

I will say, the RV is better than being stuck in a room. 

20220117_174851_HDR

Get better soon!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/18/22 1:31 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Stop huffing trash bags.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/18/22 7:21 a.m.

At least you know who you will be staying with!

Mrs. DX and myself just started watching Vigil on Peacock and wow would subtitles help sometimes with their thick accents!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/18/22 8:19 a.m.

I binge-watched Cowboy Bebop Sunday. I'm a little disappointed with how that ended. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/18/22 8:39 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

I wouldn't say I've watched enough to have defined reasons I don't like it except that I don't really like it. I had an ex gf that was into Studio Ghibli that she tried to get me to like but I didn't like any I saw. Other animated stuff I like a lot, like Futurama and I did like Avatar a lot( I don't think that's considered anime though) so it's not that.

I'll give the anime Bebop a try and maybe I'll have a definitive answer 

Interesting. I'm not an Anime fanboy by a long stretch. I think it's a medium that comes out of a particular culture and tends to employ certain conventions. I think there are bad examples and good examples in the medium. There are examples that are good, but more esoteric and a bigger stretch from western norms (e.g. 'Ghost in the Shell' and 'Akira').

That said, studio Ghibli and Cowboy Bebop are the two things I would generally point non-anime people towards. So that may not be so hopeful. Cowboy Bebop may be more promising because it leans much more heavily on American and international culture influences (westerns, Bruce Lee, film Noir, 70's blacksploitation, etc.), where Ghibli is *very* Japanese with heavy influences from Shintoism.

Avatar is American. Just clearly heavily influenced by Anime.

Ashyukun (Robert)
1/18/22 9:44 a.m.
Duke said:

Smartphone-based grocery list apps are da bombitty-bomb.

DW and I share a list; it updates in real time, so we can add items at any time, and divide-and-conquer if necessary, with no duplication or missed items.

Getting her to use the app I use and add to it would be nice- but she usually just texts me with what additional things she wants if something comes up- but more often it's that I've forgotten something that is a normal component of what we're making (or more commonly a modification we've made to the recipe but that I forget about- I've taken to writing any additions into the recipe/cookbook). My scatterbrained memory drives her absolutely nuts. Not, I should note, nuts enough however that she will do the shopping herself...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T02QDylYIy5D7qOlVi7WtlsJ5hccM6lueZgXQn18QkV3VylbCbwfNkG4qek8SMaI