cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/20/22 6:50 p.m.

3YO had a 103 fever and tested positive for Covid last Friday. He's feeling mostly better, but has been home from preschool all week (obviously). 5YO and wife are both starting to have a bit of a cough, but still testing negative. 3YO can hopefully go back to school next week, but 5YO will most likely be home for another week. I haven't managed to work a full week at my new job yet. I'm feeling like I'm out of persistence.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/20/22 6:56 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
mtn said:

I can hear my mom (aka Grandma) giving my kid some cookies for breakfast. 

My friends 85 year old mom would only eat cookies for most meals.  They gave up the fight and figured she was at least eating "something".

A doctor once suggested that my 88 year old mother was putting on a few pounds and should cut back on ice cream.  She's 88, weighs about 140, and has dementia.  

We'll  get right on that.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/20/22 7:32 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Datsun310Guy said:
mtn said:

I can hear my mom (aka Grandma) giving my kid some cookies for breakfast. 

My friends 85 year old mom would only eat cookies for most meals.  They gave up the fight and figured she was at least eating "something".

A doctor once suggested that my 88 year old mother was putting on a few pounds and should cut back on ice cream.  She's 88, weighs about 140, and has dementia.  

We'll  get right on that.

My wife is a dietitian. My aunt is too. 

At that age, both of them basically ask the same thing: does it make them happy? Basically the only consideration left. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/20/22 7:50 p.m.

Ok, you see this berkeleying assclown?  This monumental cow-tit of man?  He has a light bar on the back of his bed pointed at people behind him and turned on.  Bright enough even in daylight that it berkeleying hurts my eyes.
There are maybe three of these berkeleyheads on my drive to and from work.

They make me want to explode their vehicles with my mind.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/21/22 12:54 p.m.

Person has had weeks to get their stuff out of a shared space that soon has to be put back on the market. I've even offered to help move the stuff. Nope, still sitting where it was days ago. The fun part will be when I start hauling it to the curb at the end of the month because we already have a renter lined up. Then will come the drama of it being forced to move it at the "last minute".

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/21/22 4:43 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Some DJ on the local radio took his 85 yo mom to the doctor - they ask her if she exercises.  She says yes, I walk around in my house. DJ says that's not excercise.  

My thought is - who cares, she made it to 85.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/21/22 4:56 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Ok, you see this berkeleying assclown?  This monumental cow-tit of man?  He has a light bar on the back of his bed pointed at people behind him and turned on.  Bright enough even in daylight that it berkeleying hurts my eyes.
There are maybe three of these berkeleyheads on my drive to and from work.

They make me want to explode their vehicles with my mind.

Mankind should count it's blessings that I can't explode them with the power of thought.

The world would be a quieter, happier place under my dominion though

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/21/22 7:37 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Happened to my new room mate in college. He was the type to never ever answer his phone. Zero communication. Ever. He moved into our place at the first of the month. When he left the old place, he just moved his non essential items into his old room mates living room. Like 2 solid weeks go by and his old room mates are calling and texting with no response. When they finally catch up with him on campus new room mate promises to pickup his stuff on Saturday. Saturday rolls around and he was nowhere to be found. Not answering calls of course. His old room mates show up at our house and dump all his E36 M3 on our yard. It was great. New room mate was appalled that they did that to them. His response was "I was at the beer festival all day!" 

Remind you this was my incoming room mate. Needless to say we had tons of problems when he moved out. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/21/22 8:54 p.m.

I swear I'm going to put soft close dampers and soft magnetic catches on the doors in this house. I can't tell you how many times I've been woken up by a door closing. It's night time, people are sleeping, why are you closing that door like it just pissed you off? I can close the same door with zero sound. It's not hard. I've showed you how. Instead I'm started awake several times then my sleep is rough for the night. Thanks. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
1/21/22 9:21 p.m.

5:45 on Friday and the house is feeling chilly, check the thermostat and it's 64 in the house and no heat or hot water.

Check the boiler and there's an error code for the blower speed. A little troubleshooting determines the elastic fan has failed a keeping blower from working.  

Blower assembly is probably not available until Tuesday. So no point in even paying the man for an emergency call on the weekend.  . 

Outside temp is going down to 5 tonight, fun...

1/21/22 9:27 p.m.

I'm gonna have to yell at a person who has helped me a lot in life and has little left for being a total idiot.

It's warranted, it needs to happen and in the long run it's for the best but I really really don't want to have to bear the weight of this because it'll crush the person for the short term but I'm the only one that can tell them.

I berkeleying hate being dependable sometimes, why can't I just coast in life again????

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/21/22 9:39 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

When my daughter was little I'd show her how to sneak around the house, close doors quietly and be all stealthy.  I always told her it was "spy training" in case she became a spy.  

At age 19 she lives like an owl and comes and goes at all hours and slams doors and never quietly closes a door.  

I yelled at her the other day that she forgot all her spy training?  I too then sleep like crap.  

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
1/21/22 10:12 p.m.

My next appointment is 54 days from now. 3 of my meds have no refills left. Doing without one of these won't be pretty. And just WHY do I have to request more!? Get your E36 M3 together. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
1/21/22 10:29 p.m.
Shadeux said:

My next appointment is 54 days from now. 3 of my meds have no refills left. Doing without one of these won't be pretty. And just WHY do I have to request more!? Get your E36 M3 together. 

When I was practicing, I ran into this sort of E36 M3 frequently. MD would give patient a prescription for a 90 day supply of a maintainence drug with no refill and schedule next appointment 6 months out. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/21/22 11:00 p.m.

I am not sure if this is a rant or a win? 

I was able to actually accomplish some stuff. You know complete actual work without interruption every 5 minutes. 

The problem with my increased efficiency is  that my boss was out sick all week. Ugh.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/22/22 10:08 a.m.

Yesterday, we drove 100 miles to look at an RV.  I had specifically called the day before because the particular unit we wanted to look at showed "sale pending" on their website.  Told the salesman, 'we're not ready to buy, we just want to look at the interior because it's the only one in the state right now.'  "No problem," he says.

We get there, and the guy I talked to is out sick.  "No you can't go in that RV, it's prepped for delivery". 

Thanks, shiny happy person.  Guess who I just ruled out as a dealer when we are ready to buy? 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/22/22 10:30 a.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

I am not sure if this is a rant or a win? 

I was able to actually accomplish some stuff. You know complete actual work without interruption every 5 minutes. 

The problem with my increased efficiency is  that my boss was out sick all week. Ugh.

I hate to point out the correlation 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
1/22/22 3:32 p.m.

My wife and I went out for dinner with some friends last night.  The ladies went out earlier and we were to show up an hour or so later, the other husband was still working.  I pick up the other guy and we head to the restaurant.  We are about a mile from the place when someone pulls across two lanes of traffic, blocks a turn lane and nooses into the lane I am in trying to force someone to let them out.  The guy in front of me comes to a complete stop so I go to stop and almost make it.  As I am pushing harder on the brake the pedal goes to the floor and I hit the back of the guy who stopped.  It was slow enough that there was no damage to the other guys car, very small scuff on his bumper, but he had a small hitch on his CUV and it destroyed the grill and put a hole in the bumper cover on my car.  Minor rant because no one was hurt but now I have to replace a brake line, bumper cover and grill on my wife's DD in the middle of winter with no room in my garage currently.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/23/22 10:35 a.m.

A minor rant with a healthy serving of I love it when a plan comes together. 

Last night's low was 27. This morning the house was 57 with the thermostat requesting 68. I leave the emergency strips turned off most of the time and just let the house temperature fluctuate when it gets super cold outside. The inside unit was running. The outside unit compressor was running but the fan wasn't. It was just a little iced up. A few minutes with a volt meter shows the fan motor is smoked. These things never fail at a convenient time. That's the rant bit. 

20220123_081220.jpg

Luckily, I had walked by the unit a couple of months ago and thought the fan motor didn't sound right. Since motors are pretty cheap, and this unit eats one every other year or so, I ordered one to stick on the shelf just in case. This morning, after about 45 minutes the new fan is installed and we have heat again. 

Hannibal Smith | Sufficient Velocity

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
1/23/22 11:18 a.m.

Weren't you just complaining about still running the air?

We have two water systems, and a week ago we had no main water pressure. Thought it was a bad/dirty contact on the pressure switch. Cleaned it up and it ran great. For a day. It turned out that the arm the contacts are on was actually broken but still working sporadically. The old well pump that's sat in my basement for two years had a perfectly good pressure switch. But I'd taken it to work a week ago so the apprentice could tear it down for some pump experience. No problem. I text him, pull that pressure switch, bring it home with you, I'll pick it up tonight. I get it, install it and we're back in business. Mrs. Messages me yesterday at work. We have no pressure again. I get home, go straight for the switch, make it manually... hummmm.

Pump is seized and TSC had pumps on sale just before Christmas. I should grab one of those, I thought, just in case. Then promptly forgot about it. :(

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/23/22 12:40 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

Yep. 27 is glorious. High 50s in the house is lovely. 

My wife doesn't appreciate it quite as much as I do.  She wants the heat to work. 

1/23/22 2:37 p.m.

Sat down and tried to watch The Book of Boba Fett and it's.....less than impressive.

I'm finding it hard to believe that this character is a bad ass in any way since he basically has his ass handed to him every single time and the actor doesn't exactly seem action star capable. I'm really hoping they nerfed him a lot because his scenes in the Mandolorian were good.

I'm halfway thru episode 3, really hoping it gets better

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/22 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Pay attention rmto the bacta tank scene in episode 1. Hes not 100% healthy yet.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
1/23/22 5:36 p.m.

Lol. We watched the first episode after finishing the Hawkeye show. The contrast in the hand to hand fight choreography was pretty stark.

I like The Book of Boba Fett, despite the less-than-polished acting and action scenes. It feels almost exactly like an old timey western with laser guns :P

My rant: got to learn what frostburn on the eyeballs feels like after doing some work in a giant walk in freezer on Friday. Should have taken more breaks.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/23/22 6:05 p.m.

Yeah.  It was particularly noticeable that ILM was using apprentices during the speeder/bike chase.  Not high end at all.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AEeiZ8cwOaM58gQGmYnfaE5BzB2BMY4kNPNIzyrzfCC4sPc0Y2ifmwS4JM9PFxK7