Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
7/11/22 2:20 p.m.

There is so much I want to say about things going on in my life right now, but I can't. And I won't. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/11/22 2:27 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

Many mornings, my wife and I look at each other and ask what we're doing with our lives. We both work high expectation jobs that take a lot of our time and most of our brainpower, neither of us is thrilled with that, and we don't exactly know what it's all for, given that we live below our means and probably don't "need" to be doing this.

I'm in a similar situation with my job.  The main thing that keeps me here is I believe the reduction in pay with a different job is way bigger than the reduction in stress would be.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/11/22 2:28 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

There is so much I want to say about things going on in my life right now, but I can't. And I won't. 

Sorry to hear that.  I suspect we might be in a similar boat right now.  I can't really talk about it to anyone, either.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/11/22 4:18 p.m.

My brother in law is an issue. He is probably $30k+ in debt. If he is not, it is because my wife’s parents have bailed him out. He is a leach, spending their money, living in their house rent free, driving his moms car (she is disabled and works from home, she rarely leaves the house) since his car hasn’t moved in probably 3 years. He is bipolar, or else severely depressed, but good luck getting him to go to a doctor or taking his meds.

Despite having a college degree, he has been unemployed for 5 of the last 13 years – 7 if we don’t count the 2 years he spent delivering food in his moms car. He is delusional about what kind of a job he deserves. Thinks he should be making $300k a year on Wall Street.

But I digress. He’s not working right now. Or if he is, it is something stupid and probably not even paying him minimum wage in lieu of something stupid, like networking, that he thinks he is getting.

Luckily my wife is pretty damn good at calling him and her mom (the enabler and apologist for his idiocy) out on this BS. She doesn’t really let it into our house at all.

So why is this a rant? Because my FIL has been in the hospital basically since January. He moved out of the rehab facility on the 4th, and into our house because our house has a downstairs bedroom and bathroom, and it notably has 2 fully functional and capable adults, as well as a very sweet toddler and a goofy dog instead of a disabled, abusive wife and a delusional refuses-to-take-his-meds man child who probably can’t even make a sandwich. But that isn’t the rant part. Happy to have him here. The rant part? My wife is going to a wedding shower on Saturday. I want to take my daughter to my parents vacation house for the weekend. I can’t, because we can’t leave FIL alone for that long – he still needs help going to the restroom, as well as getting food and drink. So you’d think that his son, who is unemployed and lives rent free less than a mile away in FILs house, who has been sucking my in-laws retirement dry for most of his adult life, could take the 4 hours out of his day that my wife will be at the shower to take care of his dad. But no, he has plans. No doubt the plans involve his friends and alcohol.

Seriously, what the berkeley. My wife quit her job to take care of my FIL (sad commentary on the state that Covid has left our healthcare system in). I work full time. We struggle to pay for daycare. We found a hospital bed for free, drove an hour to pick it up, ripped carpet out of the guest home, worked our asses of to get everything ready. BIL can’t do a berkeleying thing. What a miserable waste of a human.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/11/22 4:23 p.m.

Submitting job applications is stressful.

Not knowing where I stand is the roughest part. Waiting to hear back from a job I *really* want is nerve wracking.

Applying for positions outside my current industry adds to the anxiety. Every type of emotion going through me as I look at what I think I'm capable of, see salaries around 150% of what I currently make. Begin questioning if I'm overselling my abilities and wondering how much of what I know actually transfers.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/11/22 4:33 p.m.

For the 2nd flight in a row in less than a week I was pulled aside for extra screening by the TSA. I have a passport, TSA precheck, and a TWIC card.  Its not like they don't have my background, shoe size, favorite gin and finger prints on file already.  I'm starting to think the TSA agents find me sexy and use it as an excuse to get a palm full of Logdog.  In which case, maybe this should be a minor win?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
7/11/22 5:27 p.m.

Went out to grab a beer last night at the local tavern and got a text today that the bartender came up COVID positive today.

I guess I can be glad this happened on a week I don't have anything planned.

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/11/22 10:09 p.m.

MTN damn that's some Reddit worthy reading there. I'm a little closer to the forum as in Collin Wood. Does he do anything other than post over priced cars in the classic car section. 

I'm sorry if some idiot spends 100 of thousands of dollars on a restoration or so called one it's a freaking car. I love them like the next guy but have about lost my mind with the stupidity going on in the market right now. 

I've lost about all my enjoyment with BAT and the debacle it's become. Don't blame them but wished they would have started a different platform and left the old one alone.

Hoping my first trip as a spectator to the 2022 challenge helps me return to a healthy liking of the car scene as it's not to good right now.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
7/11/22 10:25 p.m.

The more electrical I have to fix in this house, the more I'm convinced to just build new walls and forget about all the old stuff. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
7/11/22 10:27 p.m.

I've been running a D&D campaign for a few months set in a world I've been slowly building for about 4 years. It's super fun coming up with story and lore and characters. But, and this is an extremely minor rant, it's getting to be difficult to keep it all in my head. I need to write. I don't type well despite having taken classes and applying real effort, and I can't hand write for any length of time due to wrist issues. I can't do talk-typing because wife is playing and I'd ruin surprises and give away the ending. 

is this how folks become authors? I never wanted to be one. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
7/11/22 10:32 p.m.

In reply to brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) :

I'm a die hard car guy. I dislike the local scene immensely. And the stuff I'm interested in is boring to most folks. I figure, dig what you dig, and scenes are for socializing, and have little to do with the cars. That said, go to the challenge. Get your hands dirty with strangers and meet some folks. It's a really special event and I'll be back as soon as I can manage even if I fly in and don't compete. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
7/12/22 1:15 p.m.

People, if the door operator and locking system have been working for years you do NOT, I repeat NOT!!! have a wiring issue. You likely have a component failure or possibly a connection issue. The system was wired properly and changing it will not magically make it work again. LEAVE IT ALONE!!

If you don't berkeley with the wiring, my guys can identify the problem and have you back up and running in short order. When you start changing the wiring, all bets are off. Your changes have erased all reference to how it was wired and we no longer know where wires go or have any way to guess. Without that information, we can't methodically troubleshoot the system to find and repair the fault. At this point, we are at the cut it all out, chase every wire in the system out to see where they go and what they are supposed to do, and then start from scratch to rewire the entire system. With multiple inputs from multiple systems, this takes time. When your guy lets the magic smoke out of security controllers, maglocks, and relays, it takes an insane amount of time.

Today's 1-hour project is going to end up costing you 8 hours at emergency rates, plus all the parts your dumb-ass employee burned up when he arbitrarily rewired the system. I know it's hard to imagine, but you can't just guess where wires go and what they do. Just like you can't twist all the red wires together and dump voltage to them because they are red. 

I know you have been trying to train your guys to do your own repairs but you might as well face it. You hired the wrong guys, they aren't that smart. By the time you pay them a day's labor to berkeley things up and me a day's labor to rebuild them from the smoke and crispy components that are left, it would be much cheaper to just call me first. 

Do us both a favor.

STOP berkeleyING WITH THE WIRING!!

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
7/12/22 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I love your customers, they provide me with a never ending stream of minor rants to chuckle at.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/12/22 3:56 p.m.

Put a salary range in your job postings! How freaking hard is that?

Holy crap is this especially prevalent in the brewing industry.

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
7/12/22 10:55 p.m.

Trying to replace the thermostat and water pump on my 128i is proving to be a lesson in humility.  Seems like every other bolt, hose & hose clamp are dead set on being stubborn, and all in different ways.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/13/22 7:21 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

It's also really prevalent in IT and usually means that someone is trying to underpay. Like wanting someone like me with 30+ years experience for junior developer money. Sure, I'm looking for a 50% pay cut. Not. 

wae
wae PowerDork
7/13/22 7:44 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:
Beer Baron said:

It's also really prevalent in IT and usually means that someone is trying to underpay. Like wanting someone like me with 30+ years experience for junior developer money. Sure, I'm looking for a 50% pay cut. Not. 

Pluralizing anecdote to "data" here but... I think it might be across the board at this point.  My wife was flipping across some postings in her field recently (which right now happens to be long term care medical billing - talk about your specializations...) and it's the same thing.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/13/22 7:51 a.m.

In reply to wae :

The trades are no different

If the wage is good they'll want you to know it.

So the jobs with no wage listed have to be something exceptional for me to even consider asking.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/13/22 7:58 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I have turned down two offers in the past six months because they didn't pay what I'm making now. I told each of them up front my salary requirements. I guess they didn't read that part of the application, or else they didn't care about wasting my time. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/13/22 8:00 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

This picture is from about 4 years ago, and If you look closely, you might see no window in the door.  I drove the car back from the paint shop Thursday, all yellow as can be, and thought, I'd better get that window ordered.  I then looked at the door, and it had a window in it.

I have no idea when, where or who it came from.  At all.  Like, not even a faint clue.

This concerns me a tiny bit for the future of my brain.

Did you ever figure it out?

I lock my bikes up in the shop and had a place to hide the key. That place was no longer a good idea so I found a new one last week.

Can somebody tell me where that new place is? I had to cut the chain to go riding

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/13/22 8:10 a.m.
Peabody said:

In reply to wae :

The trades are no different

If the wage is good they'll want you to know it.

So the jobs with no wage listed have to be something exceptional for me to even consider asking.

No wonder companies are complaining that they're not able to attract qualified applicants.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/13/22 8:28 a.m.

They have just doubled the scope of my responsibilities at work. Essentially adding another entire position to mine. 

Exactly what I was doing "temporarily" when this company picked up my territory. They hired another guy, and i went down to just the job i signed up for. 

Between the horrific management style, stress, hours, and now this, i think i will start hunting. Which makes me feel like a piece of E36 M3 because ive been here less than a year. 

Dammit, i just want to find a good company with a good stable position i can retire from. Is that too much to ask?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/13/22 8:31 a.m.
Peabody said:
Streetwiseguy said:

This picture is from about 4 years ago, and If you look closely, you might see no window in the door.  I drove the car back from the paint shop Thursday, all yellow as can be, and thought, I'd better get that window ordered.  I then looked at the door, and it had a window in it.

I have no idea when, where or who it came from.  At all.  Like, not even a faint clue.

This concerns me a tiny bit for the future of my brain.

Did you ever figure it out?

I lock my bikes up in the shop and had a place to hide the key. That place was no longer a good idea so I found a new one last week.

Can somebody tell me where that new place is? I had to cut the chain to go riding

Almost 2 weeks in, and no "aha!" Moment yet.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/13/22 8:39 a.m.

I am going berkeleying crazy being stuck in this damn house. Tested positive for Covid still yesterday but no symptoms now.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
7/13/22 8:47 a.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to Toyman! :

I love your customers, they provide me with a never ending stream of minor rants to chuckle at.

In all honestly, it's pretty minor but if people would just think a little everyone would have an easier time. Situations like that screw up my entire schedule because it takes one guy out of circulation for an entire day and I have 4 other customers I needed him to get to. All of that gets pushed back a day and it cascades from there.  

This is a good place to bitch about it so y'all get to read them. 

It's a wonder I don't drink. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mcV0PMWGckP591SlLXz7TGx00NcTUUHTIkrRtB00JdPM4gxtGQbm9Sp1oHiq92sY