Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/4/22 3:21 p.m.

Home "improvements".

For the longest time after my dad passed and I inherited this house, I disliked 2 things, the toilet seat and the shower.

The toilet set was an open ended, just like the public terlets, and raised seat to assist my mother who couldn't use her legs very much to get up and down. That was the easy fix today.

The shower, grrrrr.... It's a roll-in shower; doors slide in and out plus swing either in or out. The kicker here is unless you are shorter than 5'6", forget about getting anything wet from mid chest up, plus the "stationary" shower head leaked and the "wand" one didn't even work. I bought E36 M3 yesterday to fix alllll of this ridiculousness. Shower wand easily replaced. Now the crappy shower arm was getting replaced with something taller. Of course the previous arm had a full 4" to the water pipe... the new one? Maybe 3-3.5. frown One coupler and close nipple all fixed but damn...

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
8/4/22 4:01 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Usps shows today, 8/4, as expected delivery. I doubt it. Tracking says it's still in Seattle, and I'm in Utah. It is a minor rant, but still. 

Is it FedEx? Because as far as I can tell Seattle and Troutdale are where FedEx packages go to die

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/4/22 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

No. Postal service. You'll appreciate my urgency though as the package contains a 20" K custom dark ride. I need it. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/4/22 5:22 p.m.

I asked my stepson his opinion on a new laptop. Told him that I browsed the web, used email, word and excel.

He gives me a recommendation and I took it without checking. I start using it and find out that it has word and excel but I have to pay $69.99 a year to license it

berkeley that. I'm not paying that much every year.

Now I have a new laptop that I don't use because I'm not paying that kind of fee and I can't even complain to my wife because it will get back to my stepson and cause an issue.

So here I am, still using my slow as E36 M3 laptop from 13 years ago with windows 7.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/4/22 5:28 p.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

$150 one time purchase

barefootcyborg5000
8/4/22 5:29 p.m.

I could be wrong, but I think that isn't a hardware issue. My understanding is that with windows 10 and up all the Microsoft staples are subscription based. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
8/4/22 6:21 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

I could be wrong, but I think that isn't a hardware issue. My understanding is that with windows 10 and up all the Microsoft staples are subscription based. 

We've been using OpenOffice for our personal stuff & The Dancer's nonprofit for a while instead of MS Office and haven't found much that we're lacking in not using MS.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/4/22 8:02 p.m.

Start using Google Docs and/or OpenOffice.

OpenOffice can read Word and Excel files and save in those formats.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/4/22 8:30 p.m.

If you have the disks for MS Office you can install them and skip the subscription 

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
8/4/22 9:23 p.m.

Well, that credit card might have gone almost 6 weeks between episodes of fraudulent activity. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
8/5/22 12:11 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

No. Postal service. You'll appreciate my urgency though as the package contains a 20" K custom dark ride. I need it. 

Here's hoping it arrives soon and is awesome 

barefootcyborg5000
8/5/22 12:42 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Thanks. Tracking finally updated, in route to next facility, but the expected date didn't update. Tomorrow or Saturday would be good, but my hopes aren't high. As for the cymbal, no two are identical, but I've played this model before and my old drummer has a 22". I'm confident it was a good decision. Easier than choosing a crash when I can only really afford one right now. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/5/22 8:01 a.m.

Kiddos daycare had a covid outbreak. Kiddo brought it home to my wife and I. 

This is pretty miserable. I'm exhausted, achy, and either freezing cold or sweating through the sheets. 

Good news is that my doc said it is mild enough that she's not prescribing paxlovid, but holy cow is a mild case miserable.  The better news is that kiddo is now vaccinated and is doing well enough that we wouldn't have tested her if it weren't for us feeling like crap. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/5/22 9:08 a.m.
mtn said:

$150 one time purchase

Better yet, $0 lifetime solution (has been for me so far):

https://www.libreoffice.org/

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/5/22 9:19 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Take care of yourselves.  I hope everyone recovers quickly.

iansane
iansane Dork
8/5/22 10:38 a.m.
Antihero said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Usps shows today, 8/4, as expected delivery. I doubt it. Tracking says it's still in Seattle, and I'm in Utah. It is a minor rant, but still. 

Is it FedEx? Because as far as I can tell Seattle and Troutdale are where FedEx packages go to die

berkeleying Troutdale. Ugh.

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
8/5/22 10:49 a.m.
Karacticus said:

Well, that credit card might have gone almost 6 weeks between episodes of fraudulent activity. 

Actually, not even a month-- last card was activated July 5th after the bank cancelled it due to a reported breach (that they didn't tell me about).

And, someone appears to have fraudulently attempted to apply for credit with the same institution more or less concurrently.   Informed of that by credit agency after a pull was attempted on my frozen report. 

And no one answers phones for banks anymore.  

Is our consumer financial system this close to a total freakin' house of cards?  Pretty sure the answer is yes. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/5/22 10:56 a.m.

Dear FedEx, 

This is not a residential address, this is a commercial address in an industrial complex. 

This entire industrial complex is a ghost town by 4:30. We have all closed up shop and gone home for the day. It has been this way for most of the 15 years I've been located here. 

Trying to deliver packages at 6 pm is stupid. There is nobody here. Never has been, and probably never will be. This is why I never have items shipped FedEx if given a choice and frequently don't use suppliers that only ship FedEx. Get your E36 M3 together. 

wae
wae PowerDork
8/5/22 5:53 p.m.

When I become the (mostly) Benevolent Dictator of The World, any gas station that continues to use fractional-cent pricing will be nuked from orbit.

I noticed today the one of the local Speedway stations has, at the bottom of their sign, the price for a drink of some kind.  $1.009.  Apparently the cancer is spreading.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
8/5/22 7:34 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
mtn said:

$150 one time purchase

Better yet, $0 lifetime solution (has been for me so far):

https://www.libreoffice.org/

I actually use both OpenOffice and Libre... OpenOffice runs faster overall on my iMac and I like the user experience better, but for some reason OO hates doing things that involve linking between files (like Mail Merges...) so I use Libre for that.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
8/5/22 10:28 p.m.

Currently sitting beside some people in a restaurant that know nothing about construction but are pretty sure they know a lot.

They are planning on hand mixing 12 yds of concrete for a floor. This is incredibly stupid.

May be a Minor Win though because it sounds like they think they are so good they are gonna start a little business. This could be my competition soon lol

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/5/22 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

We hand mixed 90 bags for a small sidewalk for the father-in-law.  

I mixed 3 bags in a big wheelbarrow with a garden hoe and the brother-in-law mixed 2 bags in a wimpy wheelbarrow.  I was 40 years old and was in better shape but not today.  Biggest issue was getting the bags home.  

12 yards?  Yikes!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
8/5/22 10:47 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Antihero :

We hand mixed 90 bags for a small sidewalk for the father-in-law.  

I mixed 3 bags in a big wheelbarrow with a garden hoe and the brother-in-law mixed 2 bags in a wimpy wheelbarrow.  I was 40 years old and was in better shape but not today.  Biggest issue was getting the bags home.  

12 yards?  Yikes!

This would be roughly 540 bags for their project.

I've mixed a yard by hand before and it sucked, concrete trucks are a better option.

I'd say something if I thought it would help, but these guys think they are the E36 M3.

Stupid Should Hurt, right?

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
8/5/22 10:50 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Thanks. Tracking finally updated, in route to next facility, but the expected date didn't update. Tomorrow or Saturday would be good, but my hopes aren't high. As for the cymbal, no two are identical, but I've played this model before and my old drummer has a 22". I'm confident it was a good decision. Easier than choosing a crash when I can only really afford one right now. 

What kind of crash/budget are you looking for? I'll help find you a deal

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/5/22 11:02 p.m.

Looks like my flight home went from an hour late to 2.5h late. Which wouldn't be quite that bad if the original flight hadn't been scheduled for 10:30pm. Yay.

At least Costco should be open by the time I get there so I can pick up a replacement battery for the 997. Assuming I can keep my eyes open that long.

Guess this is going to turn into a waste of a weekend. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Gd1Oau14LysuszDKpgVKQGqT0tvb1hfdSI1moQAf5EnaqpExEXJCxJuwu1GBu3q