barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/12/22 2:44 p.m.

This is the desert. Why is there black mold? Why does it have to be seemingly in the vents and around the utility closet (that I don't have access to and so can't clean, apartment) so that we can't run the AC in berking August and the 6yo is sick so we can't go stay at grandparents. Just noticed last night but looking harder this morning we may have to do the hotel thing until management can get this properly sorted. I don't foresee that battle going well when I won't pay rent for the days we can be here. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/12/22 3:22 p.m.

Must you constantly, randomly, change between simple easy to flip through tabs and this listing bullE36 M3?

I like my tabs dammit. It's set on tabs in settings, but this keeps changing randomly throughout the day every day and it's really pissing me off

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
8/12/22 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

If it is 'Shop-Vac' brand they went bankrupt and liquidated 2 years ago so less planned obsolescence and more so the limited supply has been used up. If any other brand then yea, planned obsolescence sucks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My rant:

I haven't had a weekend off all summer due to being a wedding DJ, I started on June 11th and I am booked through til Aug. 20th, I get the 27th off (for now) then have 2 weddings at the beginning of September.

I am tired. I have had to miss everything *fun*(drifting, car shows, dyno days) this summer. I am financially in a position I haven't been in since I was in my teens and I do have excess cash flow right now and everything is paid up to date. I bought car parts / tools needed to hopefully *FINALLY* get my Intrepid back to properly running, I do not want to hear from people that 'It must be nice to just drop $500 on parts and tools, I wish I could do afford to do that'. 

No, just no. Your inability to mange your finances is not MY issue and I refuse to feel guilty about how I spend my money because it makes YOU feel bad. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/12/22 3:41 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Shoutout to a fellow Stardew Valley player. Though I haven't played in the better part of a year.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/13/22 10:23 a.m.

Drum brakes, how do I hate thee, let me count the ways...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/13/22 9:52 p.m.

Got a letter from the Government. Apparently they think unemployment overpaid me last year. They want $8,100.

Jesus Christ.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
8/14/22 12:48 a.m.

Amazon...

Regularly order a particular product in a 20 pack (4 boxes of 5) for ~$20.  Last week the price jumped overnight to $38.  After some searching, I found the same product in a 36 pack (3 boxes of 12) for $36.  Note that this option did not come up when I initially entered the search for the original 20 pack.  Another option was the 12 pack for $32...  Seriously?

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
8/14/22 5:51 a.m.
NickD said:

Drum brakes, how do I hate thee, let me count the ways...

I love drum brakes. So simple, so reliable, and I've never had a set of shoes last less than 200k. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/14/22 9:40 a.m.

I think uncertainty stresses me out more than actual problems. I'd rather have a major PITA problem with a route to fixing it, than an ambiguous issue that is a bit frustrating but with no clear path for me to work to a resolution. I also hate when I've made the decision to do something, start to act, and then have to pause what I'm doing.

Basically... trying to find a new job is frustrating.

Extra frustration when my brother throws a massive wrench into the plans.

Wife and I pretty much had a goal of relocating to be able to more conveniently visit them more regularly. My brother texts me with the news that, "Hey. If my company gets this contract, they might relocate me to the UK for a year or two. But it's not for certain, and we'd move back to Virginia afterwards."

Crap. Now I don't know what's happening. I don't know if he's going to move or not. I don't know whether to look for jobs there or here.

I hate uncertainty that prevents me from planning.

(Yes, I'm still looking for jobs, but I'm being super picky. Only applying for positions that would be worth relocating for even if he moves.)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/14/22 10:31 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Got a letter from the Government. Apparently they think unemployment overpaid me last year. They want $8,100.

Jesus Christ.

I guess the real question is, Did they?  If they actually did overpay you, that's one thing, andd can likely be solved.  If they didn't, you are royally screwed, because you are going to be dealing with a bureaucratic nightmare.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/14/22 10:35 a.m.
Rodan said:

Amazon...

Regularly order a particular product in a 20 pack (4 boxes of 5) for ~$20.  Last week the price jumped overnight to $38.  After some searching, I found the same product in a 36 pack (3 boxes of 12) for $36.  Note that this option did not come up when I initially entered the search for the original 20 pack.  Another option was the 12 pack for $32...  Seriously?

I was looking for a 32 pitch pinion gear on Amazon. Found one at a very reasonable price.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/22 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

If it makes you feel any better, Amazon seems to have hired drivers that cannot read. My last 4-5 Amazon packages have been dropped at the wrong address. My favorite part? It's never been the same wrong address! They pick a new one for fun every time. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
8/14/22 3:21 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Appleseed said:

Jesus Christ.

I guess the real question is, Did they?  If they actually did overpay you, that's one thing, andd can likely be solved.  If they didn't, you are royally screwed, because you are going to be dealing with a bureaucratic nightmare.

I hope Streetwiseguy is being too pessimistic. 

I got a notice from IRS last week saying my Mother's estate owed over $3K for 2019 taxes.  I went through my records & got a copy of the canceled check. Called IRS and was on hold for 64 minutes.  However, when I spoke to rep, we had the issue resolved to my satisfaction in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
8/14/22 3:52 p.m.

I ended a relationship last night. I had known I wasn't getting feelings and that it wasn't gonna go anywhere, but man it kinda hurts- and now I know what kind of a fool I can be with them. A lot of grief and crying would have been avoided, had I asked openly if she loved me and if we had been up front about what we wanted with our relationship. I know better now; and I'm happy I do.

Appleseed said:

Jesus Christ.

My sister went through that; state government claimed she owned them $6,700 in back taxes for unlawfully taking unemployment during COVID. I can get all the details, but I think she just showed them her paystubs of going to ~18hrs/week for 6+ months and they backed off right away.

And yes, her company did this intentionally to screw them over.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
8/14/22 6:10 p.m.

Very minor but buying a scotch for my birthday that's gonna be as old as me I'd gonna be damn spendy.

I think pretty much any bottle of alcohol should be less than several challenge budgets

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/14/22 7:13 p.m.

I'm so god damned tired of this berkeleying rental house.  They never fix anything properly.  We got hung up on 5 (!!!!!) times trying to call in an emergency service job.  The box that has the main line was filled half a foot deep with dirt and tree roots, and was filled the rest of the way with water.  The main hasn't been touched in so long that I couldn't turn the valve off.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/15/22 12:01 p.m.

Shingles sucks, and not the roofing kind. 

That is all...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/15/22 12:21 p.m.
No Time said:

Shingles sucks, and not the roofing kind. 

That is all...

Yes it does.  If you haven't gotten a doctors appointment and a prescription yet, I'd recommend it highly.  There are drugs that should reduce the severity.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/15/22 12:34 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I contacted my Dr essentially the same day the rash started, after 4-5 days of just feeling "off" and some heighten skin sensitivity. Started on antivirals within 24 hours of the rash appearing, so hopefully that will help reduce the severity and duration. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/16/22 12:45 p.m.

Making fabrication drawings for the shop.  Get told to call out which parts are laser cut on the top level drawing.

"But why? Its on the individual parts drawings."

"Sometimes the shop will just look at something and start making it without looking at the rest of the drawings."

".... what?"

"Yeah, sometimes they do that so it needs to be called out whenever there is a part that they aren't making, but just fitting."

"Thats a problem.  Why are we allowing that?"

"Its how they work.  Everyone wants different things, so someone is going to end up disappointed."

"..... ok"

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/16/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

wae
wae PowerDork
8/16/22 5:20 p.m.

Wife goes to pick up kid from work and then drop off other kid at practice.  Arrives at first destination and eldest kid texts and says she is stuck closing by herself and they decided to keep things open longer.  She'll be out as soon as she can, but it'll be a while.  Wife flips out and gets all pissed off, basically demanding that she get her butt to the car because she said she worked until 5 and it's 5.

I mean, I get it: it's annoying to have the plans change like that.  But (a) she's already got to work late, so why add to the stress and (b) it wasn't her idea and she didn't have advance notice.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/16/22 5:59 p.m.

Remember in The Christmas Story movie where the dad's biggest headache is the furnace and all its issues?  

Mine?

Water softener.....

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/16/22 7:42 p.m.

My boss is a condescending dick. I hate having to ask him a question. He responds like he's talking to a 7 year old.

I'm new here and only have four months under my belt. I don't ask questions because I'm an idiot, I'm asking because this is the first time that I've had to deal with this issue.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
8/18/22 10:04 p.m.

The last 3 weeks have included being away from home for Thursday -Sunday, and spending the full remainder of each week trying to catch up on household chores and work to be ready to leave for the next. This weekend we will be balls to the wall to finish a home project and maybe spend time at the dream Cruise, which I can't drive anything in because I haven't had time to fix any of my broken cars. Sigh 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GCwnrAUlgwRS40G6N90v1IjAOcuuVQ79uGUm1K48MLU6rKwbSVkGwFYgKCo8IUba