Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
9/15/22 10:23 a.m.
Peabody said:

My apprentice will make 6 figures this year. 

We hired a guy during the pandemic who only lasted a few months. When I asked why he was leaving he said, it's a decent job, but there's no overtime. I expected to make $150k.

It's a good time to be a millwright. As I'm preparing to retire...

The trades in general are this way, there wasn't a lot of new concrete guys trained in the last 10 years. In 10 years I've worked with 2 guys younger than me and one of them was last month. I'm 39 so not exactly young either

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/22 10:16 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I'm taking bets with myself on which thread gets locked by Saturday.

We got a winner. And it isnt even lunchtime Friday.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/16/22 10:18 a.m.
Appleseed said:
Appleseed said:

I guess the answer to the question was "No."

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/22 10:23 a.m.
NickD said:
Appleseed said:
Appleseed said:

my IBTLdar is strong

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/22 10:53 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I mean, that was pretty much a sure thing.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/16/22 11:00 a.m.
NickD said:
Appleseed said:
Appleseed said:

Exactly it was. Sad. I wonder why some people have to be so adversarial in their expressions of their opinions. Oh well. It was a little fun for a little while.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/22 11:24 a.m.
tuna55 said:
NickD said:
Appleseed said:
Appleseed said:

Exactly it was. Sad. I wonder why some people have to be so adversarial in their expressions of their opinions. Oh well. It was a little fun for a little while.

this is 100% directed at media and 0% directed at GRM forum members / management even though there may be some resemblances in some cases:

to your "i wonder why...", i suggest it is because science doesn't care about opinions, and because opinions aren't science. and some opinions are presented as science. and some opinions "become science" just by being repeated ad nauseum. which is not to say that opinions can never legitimately "become science" because sometimes that's exactly what happens when a hypothesis (a kind of opinion imo) is objectively tested and proved.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/22 11:38 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

The problem with science is not the science itself, it is the intersection between science / politics / public.

Science will say "Masks appear to reduce transmission of COVID under certain conditions."

In order to impress on the public the potential value of wearing masks, politicians will oversimplify and overstate this conclusion in press releases and conferences.

The media will then REALLY overstate this - or really attack it - in order to pander to their lowest-common-denominator customer base.

This establishes unrealistic baseline public perceptions.  Then, when this proves to be unrealistic (or the science changes, like it is supposed to), the public hears SCIENTISTS WERE WRONG AGAIN instead of MAYBE WE SHOULDN'T TRUST GOVERNMENT AND MEDIA MOUTHPIECES THAT MUCH

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
9/16/22 11:39 a.m.

Who has that quote as their signature? Something about we're almost all between 3 and 7 but tend to treat each other like 1 or 10. 

Im not unbiased, and sometimes my emotions get the better of me, but it seems like more threads than not just turn into pissing matches lately. It's pretty disheartening. We're better than how we've been acting lately. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/16/22 12:24 p.m.

There are a whole lot of situations in the world where we all want to know what happened, or what is going to happen, or how to deal with whats happening.

We don't know.  It seems likely, in early days, that we should be cautious about contact and wearing masks.  Also, we should be washing our groceries in Spray9.  Then, enough media people trying to fill the 24 hour news cycle go, "OMG soak your bananas in chlorine bleach!!", and the politicians say, "I'm super smart and I heard from someone who reads that you should soak your groceries in chlorine bleach".

Then, we don't trust people who give firm opinions about things that are not remotely firm...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
9/16/22 12:33 p.m.

Bought a very nice used Lenovo T580 off eBay for my wife.

Condition is even better than in the pictures, however there is the minor detail of the SSD and thus the boot medium being nowhere to be found. Great, now I get to wait until the seller gets back to me to find out if this was an oversight and if he has the missing parts.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/22 12:46 p.m.

It went further than I expected. I was hoping to comment when I got out of work but was pretty sure it would be locked by then.  

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
9/16/22 1:07 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

If you don't get anywhere with them let me know.  I have a few 256 M.2 drives and will send one along for postage.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
9/16/22 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Thanks, appreciate the offer. It's not so much the drive that I'm worried about as I was going to replace that with a new one anyway, but the funky 2.5" "adapter" Lenovo uses to fit an NVMe drive into the machine. The laptop was a good deal for the condition if the adapter is present, but if it's not, the adapter isn't cheap but at least can be found.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/18/22 1:42 p.m.

Turn your cruise control the berk off if you can't be arsed to pay attention to traffic

CJ
CJ Dork
9/18/22 1:52 p.m.

Since when has it been OK  to walk through someone else's campsite - particularly when the road is 20' away?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/18/22 3:09 p.m.

Woke up this morning and it was 55 degrees. The fog was laying across the valley like a blanket. It was beautiful.

Back home, it 85 and humid. crying

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/18/22 4:14 p.m.

Sunday has become I dread Monday day. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/18/22 5:56 p.m.

Both kids need braces. It's going to cost three challenge cars for each kid. I think from now on I'm going to look at the price of everything in terms of challenge cars.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/18/22 6:13 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

I spent $5500 each kid - painful but they have awesome teeth.  Worth it but painful.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/18/22 6:37 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Ouch. My oldest still at home (16) blew up the motor in the kid car yesterday. External-combustion engine, now.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
9/18/22 6:58 p.m.
The_Jed said:

Both kids need braces. It's going to cost three challenge cars for each kid. I think from now on I'm going to look at the price of everything in terms of challenge cars.

I do that too. Suddenly a 500 dollar guitar/cymbal/thingy is "only" a quarter of a Challenge car.

Seems downright reasonable, right?

superfund
superfund New Reader
9/18/22 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Wow, that's not great looking. This is the only response I can think of to that. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/18/22 9:28 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Braces are expensive but I am super glad I got them for both DD#s 1 and 2. It made a huge difference in their teeth and jaw placement.

I absolutely should have gotten braces as a teenager but the ortho they took me to wanted to pull all 4 canines to make room.  My mouth is very crowded but those are 4 of my largest and strongest teeth. So I said NO instead of insisting we try a different ortho.  As a result, I've suffered with fairly jacked teeth all my life and I really wish my jaw had been moved forward like it should have been.

So if you are confident in the ortho, it's a great investment in health and appearance.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/18/22 9:37 p.m.

... I originally read that as "brakes".

What is the recoup on dental work?  I mean, I know the tooth fairy leaves a quarter per molar but I dunno how braces factor in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j8M2YSsrNxXW71bmPvwVnSGR6QGgtNQljFdOMx6bAv2c6KO74J65UIbWoGdArCLa