tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/18/22 9:59 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Sunday has become I dread Monday day. 

That's why I said good bye after 11+ years with a good company. Somehow, my good career turned into an awful slog. Five different managers over that 11 years had a lot to do with it.  That last manager said he wanted to "enhance the department's reputation".  Needless to say it was a complete E36 M3 show! 

Good luck with the new gig. It's time. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/18/22 10:33 p.m.

In reply to tester (Forum Supporter) :

Depending on how you count dotted lines, I am on my 6th to 9th manager in 4 years. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
9/18/22 11:07 p.m.

Listen up karaoke and various singers........ Zombie at it's very very best is not a great song and listening to someone yelp and nasally drone thru the song is absolutely brutal for the crowd.

For godsakes, listen to the fact that no one is clapping and move on to anything else.

superfund
superfund New Reader
9/19/22 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Sometimes it makes you wonder what's in their head

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/19/22 7:18 a.m.

I see what you did there.

:)

wae
wae PowerDork
9/19/22 7:33 a.m.

I did my math wrong and the pork shoulder I have in the sous vide for carnitas won't be ready to come out until about bedtime, so we'll have to have something else for dinner tonight.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/19/22 7:58 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

But what about their statement man? Can't you feel it after they abuse it? 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
9/19/22 8:22 a.m.

Lost the wing nut that holds the air filter cover on my tractor. Bought every size they had at rural king, none of them fit.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/19/22 9:24 a.m.

I've mentioned it before, but I used to run at the local racetrack/country club deal, and they started pressuring me to become a member and when I wouldn't join (monetarily, it made zero sense) they basically regulated my car out of competition and then told me that as a non-member I couldn't run more than three events a year unless a member sponsored me. Well, this weekend I got an e-mail from them that they are holding an autocross and they are inviting me as a "past attendee". You jerkoffs, I'm a past attendee because you made me a past attendee when you basically threw me out of the place. No way am I coming back and giving you a dime of my money.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/19/22 9:24 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Oh yeah! If I start adding project managers and other sundry dotted line responsibilities, it would be closer to 30-50 over that time.  At the end, I had 1 direct manager, 5-6 project managers, 1 technical service manager, 3 maintenance managers, and 3 production managers and roughly 20 projects in various stages of completion.  They just kept loading it on...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/19/22 9:40 a.m.
NickD said:

I've mentioned it before, but I used to run at the local racetrack/country club deal, and they started pressuring me to become a member and when I wouldn't join (monetarily, it made zero sense) they basically regulated my car out of competition and then told me that as a non-member I couldn't run more than three events a year unless a member sponsored me. Well, this weekend I got an e-mail from them that they are holding an autocross and they are inviting me as a "past attendee". You jerkoffs, I'm a past attendee because you made me a past attendee when you basically threw me out of the place. No way am I coming back and giving you a dime of my money.

I hope you replied.  

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/19/22 10:04 a.m.
mtn said:

Depending on how you count dotted lines, I am on my 6th to 9th manager in 4 years. 

Jeez. In 11 years with four different companies, I have only had 5.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/19/22 10:06 a.m.

My A/C line got broken during the digging off the electrical trench to my garage...

And of course it is supposed to get hot again this week.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
9/19/22 11:04 a.m.

While working in Puerto Rico two weeks ago my wife called me and said that the oil light came on in her 2016 Exploder.

It burns about a quart between changes and I guestimated that a change was about due so I asked her to add one quart of 5-20 and said "use the oil that's next to my work bench, not the oil that's next to the garage door as that stuff is used and is staged to be recycled".

Well, I changed the oil on her car yesterday and found that she had added 2.2 quarts of used oil which probably put her around 1.2 quarts over full.

I get that she's not a car person but she's bright...this was lack of giving a berk not lack of competency.  I mean, she couldn't tell the difference between 20% and 44% of a bottle - she didn't realize what the little window with five hash marks on the side of the bottle indicates - she didn't notice that the oil was dark rather than amber???

This Thanksgiving will mark thirty years of our being together and in that time, I've paid ~80% of the purchase price on her cars and 100% of the maintenance on her cars...me thinks it's time for her to have much more skin in the game.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/19/22 11:05 a.m.

Garbage disposal started leaking from the bottom. Needs to be replaced. Then the TV died. On top of us needing a new roof and the washer not draining and needing a new dishwasher too. Oh, and a new fridge. 

Homeownership. It is great. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/19/22 12:28 p.m.

Mine has been 7 direct managers, 1 of whom I never even got a one on one meeting with, 4 of whom have left the company, then 2 "dotted line" managers - 1 of whom has also left the company, was technically a peer, but was just way smarter and aware than our boss. The other the other was trying to get me on her team but I did not like working with her and got out of that. Actually, now that I think about it, she left the company too, but came back. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/19/22 12:47 p.m.

Grrr.

A few days ago there was a 0-10% chance of rain. Now they're now calling for flooding in the area today and rain every day this week.

So much for our first camping trip in a few years.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
9/19/22 12:51 p.m.
mtn said:

Garbage disposal started leaking from the bottom. Needs to be replaced. Then the TV died. On top of us needing a new roof and the washer not draining and needing a new dishwasher too. Oh, and a new fridge. 

Homeownership. It is great. 

I feel you. 

Just got to pay for new drop pipe and well pump. That wasn't cheap :(

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
9/19/22 1:28 p.m.

We're short 2 people today. Normal staff is 6. It's noticeable. It also means I get to fill in on the front counter all day. I hate the front counter. 
"I don't have my VIN" - sorry, I don't know which of these 6 options is the one you need  

"Can you match Amazon's price?"- Not when their price is below my cost

"I used to run my own shop you know"- and yet you still don't know what you're talking about  

"I need to speak to X", -Well you're in the wrong department, at the wrong store. 

I don't really like most people, turns out. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
9/19/22 2:44 p.m.

On Saturday I was doing about 45mph on a two lane road when a guy in an SUV pulled out in front of me. He pulled out from my right and was looking to his right. I don't think he ever looked to his left. He was completely in my lane so I slammed on the horn and brakes simultaneously. He stopped in his tracks and I had to pull into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting him. That was the first time in our 22 years together that I've seen my wife flip someone the bird. Dumbass.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/19/22 2:52 p.m.

You know that E36 M3ty feeling you get when you do something stupid?

What if it never goes away?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/22 3:26 p.m.
CAinCA said:

On Saturday I was doing about 45mph on a two lane road when a guy in an SUV pulled out in front of me. He pulled out from my right and was looking to his right. I don't think he ever looked to his left. He was completely in my lane so I slammed on the horn and brakes simultaneously. He stopped in his tracks and I had to pull into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting him. That was the first time in our 22 years together that I've seen my wife flip someone the bird. Dumbass.

better to hit him on your side of the yellow line, vs getting into a head-on collision with oncoming traffic or having this jerkoff doing something else stupid and crashing you while you're on the wrong side of the yellow line.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/19/22 3:42 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
NickD said:

I hope you replied.  

I accidentally deleted it and my email account vanished it into the aether, because it was not in the deleted items folder. Oh well, probably for the best. Although I did briefly dream of showing up, laying down a killer run that blew away the competition and then vanishing never to be seen again.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
9/19/22 3:43 p.m.

I happen to know a bunch of teachers - today's nation wide school swatting attack has been no joke.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/19/22 4:00 p.m.
Appleseed said:

You know that E36 M3ty feeling you get when you do something stupid?

What if it never goes away?

Hasn't gone away for me yet.  I just live with the amped up anxiety from it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MIyHWY3ZUhizzzwF7D5JbhJEVWAxqgqXGYGeIUy9lElqP6Pl1j2aOp0NFhFC0pLU