CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
10/7/22 2:57 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I playfully say I've become more of a pansy in my middle age, but really I have learned more about the ramifications of your actions, and the responsibility which comes with freedom. A while back some climber was lauded for climbing some mountain without any gear or support. I thought, "Gee, if this guy falls, it's going to take a half dozen EMT personnel to get to him and haul his sorry butt out of there, and he doesn't even care" The same for hurricanes, for Covid, for riots, for so many things. I demand my freedom, then I demand you take care of the ramifications from my freedom since I behave like a petulant child.

A couple friends climbed Half Dome a few years ago. When they got to the base of the dome there was a guy that was wearing nothing other than running shorts and shoes and had no food or water with him. He was going around asking everyone for water. My friend said he felt like he had to give this guy some water. I told him that he enabled this guy's poor behavior. I would have told that guy to berkeley off.

The county tax collector's office lost my purchase paperwork that my credit union sent them.

I've spent 11 months trying to get my 2020 Miata registered. Between the incompetence of my out of state credit union, inflexibility of the seller, COVID related delays, and paperwork filled out incorrectly (by the seller), I'm about at my breaking point.

To complicate things, my original plan to sell the Miata to Vroom was crushed by Hurricane Ian, as Vroom has stopped buying vehicles in Florida. My backup plan is to trade the car in on my Bronco, which was delivered to the dealership early last week. The dealer will only hold it for so long until they put it on their lot, so I'm under a lot of pressure to get the Miata in my name before then.

Now I have to contact my credit union, which is on the other side of the country, and have them resend the paperwork to the county tax collector's office. Its not even MY county's office as the seller will not drive 2 hours to my county's office but insisted that we meet at HER county's office, which is 20 minutes away from her.

I cannot wait for this clusterberkeley to be over angry

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
10/7/22 4:36 p.m.

Here is 2000 words of rant:

wae
wae PowerDork
10/7/22 5:59 p.m.

The city I live in just posted something about how they're going to participate in some sort of home ownership program.  Whatever, I don't really care one way or the other about it.  But they describe the program as "The Home Investment Partnership Program (HOME)".  Upon further research (I did fifteen seconds' worth of googling), every reference to this program, including from HUD, uses the exact same phraseology.

I'm fairly certain the that standard convention of "words words words (ALL CAPS WORD)" is supposed to be declaring an acronym that you're going to be using.  Like the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”).  Or Federal Housing Administration (FHA).  Or VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System).

So wtf does HOME actually stand for?  Home Oinvestment Mpartnership Eprogram?

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
10/7/22 11:00 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Antihero said:

This has got to be the worst NFL game I've ever seen.....

But you HAVE seen it.

I was trying to explain this to someone who was wondering why the Browns owners/managers didn't seem to take the team seriously.  People are going to watch, and buy tickets, win or lose.  In that light, why spend any more money on better talent?

Sure football is a business, but good football is also good business.

That was not good football, good business or a good time 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
10/7/22 11:10 p.m.

I am just....totally done with today.

It's time for scotch, some homemade beef stew and a stupid movie. Samaratian looks stupid, let's try that

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
10/8/22 12:57 a.m.

Samaratian kinda reminds me of a higher budget Defendor. 

Not as good, but it was worth a watch

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/8/22 7:04 a.m.
Antihero said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Antihero said:

This has got to be the worst NFL game I've ever seen.....

But you HAVE seen it.

I was trying to explain this to someone who was wondering why the Browns owners/managers didn't seem to take the team seriously.  People are going to watch, and buy tickets, win or lose.  In that light, why spend any more money on better talent?

Sure football is a business, but good football is also good business.

That was not good football, good business or a good time 

The Bengals owner made a fortune in the 90's, and got a new stadium, while fielding the worst team of the decade.  So, bad football is also good business.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/8/22 9:53 a.m.

Cant have nothing nice. Loan black truck to dad, have to repaint bedside. Load red truck to art for a week or two six months ago, and covered in overspray and not back yet. Loan prius to wife while fixing minivan, whatever she parked under etched the whote paint and wont cone off, so the top half now looks permanently dirty. Kid trashed my recliner by eating in the living room against the rules.

Why the berkeley do i even bother taking pride and care in my stuff? Maybe i should take a 3lb hammer to the whole berkeleying fleet and never wash them again.  Im berkeleying pissed.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
10/8/22 8:38 p.m.

Credit card hackers.

*sigh*

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/8/22 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I had a girlfriend in high school whose Dad was pissed that all their coffee cups had broken handles so he went and bought new ones only to hammer off the handles.  He was proving some point, I guess.   

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/8/22 8:52 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Credit card hackers.

*sigh*

College aged daughters 

*sigh*

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
10/8/22 9:03 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

That sucks, and I hope it's repairable. Go for loss of value if you can, too.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
10/9/22 7:29 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

It does suck. I think it is mostly cosmetic. I am worried though as it already has a salvage title.

If worse comes to worse I buy another mk6 and put all of the 400hp goodies on it.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
10/9/22 6:02 p.m.

How the hell is this O2 sensor so stuck? I've never had even close to as much problem with one as this one!

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
10/9/22 7:25 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
Noddaz said:

Credit card hackers.

*sigh*

College aged daughters 

*sigh*

Thanks pal.

I have one of those also.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/10/22 4:01 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

You know you aren't required to pay for any of it, right?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/10/22 7:48 a.m.
Antihero said:

How the hell is this O2 sensor so stuck? I've never had even close to as much problem with one as this one!

Stainless on stainless, it's probably gaulded. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/10/22 8:11 a.m.
Toyman! said:
Antihero said:

Stainless on stainless, it's probably gaulded. 

If the bung is stainless, and the sensor is stainless, this is likely. If it is galled, it cannot be removed without destruction. Galling is incredible.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/10/22 8:23 a.m.

I have an 18x1.5 thread chaser but no 18x1.5 tap.  This is one of my largest regrets.

I have learned to never heat O2 sensors because stainless turns to taffy when hot, and if it was stuck before, it's stuck and galled after you heat it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/10/22 9:06 a.m.

Because I'm an idiot, I have a 45 minute drive into work on a good day.

I haven't had a good day since the hurricane.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of relief workers down here rebuilding. Because where they are working is trashed they are staying the next county over.  Guess which county i have to drive through to get to work?

I woke up early and got out of the house 20 minutes early.  Latest I've gotten to work was 15 minutes.  Gonna be good, right?

Half an hour late.  I watched my trip extend by a full hour as I was driving.

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
10/10/22 9:15 a.m.

Came home from the airport Sunday night at 8.30 PM after a good working weekend (car related), only to just repack the bag and leave for the airport at 4.45 in the morning again to be in Brussels on time Monday afternoon to pickup the badge for the conference. But then the flight from Copenhagen is cancelled and I am re-booked to a later flight...meaning I could have left home at 12 am instead . Thanks SAS and now I have to get up earlier tomorrow in order to beat the lines for the badge pickup, when everybody else gets there. AND there will probably be no time for good Belgian beer and dinner tonight since my other 3 colleagues are scattered on other flights (going from Copenhagen via Zürich/Frankfurt/Oslo). Well at least I am supposed to get there tonight...fingers crossed.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 Reader
10/10/22 9:44 a.m.

I always love ordering stuff with next day shipping that takes 4 days to get here because things sit for entire days at distribution centers. 

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
10/10/22 9:54 a.m.

Work travel blows. SEA -BRO on the Sunday night red eye, fly back BRO - SEA and land at 11PM on a Friday and do it all over again. 

NOW I don't have to fly back every weekend, but I'm moving apartments in Seattle AND my girlfriend is out of town on the weekends so someone needs to watch the animals! 

At least today I'm flying to LAX on a Monday at a relatively normal time. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/10/22 10:03 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I have an 18x1.5 thread chaser but no 18x1.5 tap.  This is one of my largest regrets.

I have learned to never heat O2 sensors because stainless turns to taffy when hot, and if it was stuck before, it's stuck and galled after you heat it.

Oh there's more.

Generally speaking, manufacturers know that stainless fasteners stink. They typically coat them with something. When you heat them, you can wreck that coating, and make galling where there wasn't before. Also yes, stainless is quite weak at room temperature, though it's stronger at higher temperatures than carbon steel is at higher temperatures.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CLqrHTlSVhb1cxMR7W7wgRQkBwdopYdK14RrRRrwwY8rCPedBNG551Ju1IiHnmcl