93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/22/22 8:50 a.m.

Our friends are having there second kid and all their family got the flu. So we are watching their 2 and half year with ours while they are in the hospital. OMG how do people have two kids?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/22/22 9:38 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

They had time to build and adjust to the ruckus. You had the ruckus dropped in your lap.  That's why it seems to be hell on earth to you.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/22/22 9:40 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

Our friends are having there second kid and all their family got the flu. So we are watching their 2 and half year with ours while they are in the hospital. OMG how do people have two kids?

It's like the argument that being kicked in the balls hurts more than giving birth.  Women sometimes declare a desire for giving birth again, men never declare a desire for getting kicked in the balls a second time.

/and this is why I think my mom is really smart.  She had one child and said, yeah, that's good

/AND, I was born by C section.  Beware, Scottish kings!  I am a man of no woman born!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/22/22 9:52 a.m.

We spaced ours apart by almost 4 years so that the elder was at least marginally able to go a few minutes at a time without direct supervision.

And never ever have two in diapers at the same time.

I drew the line at two because I figured if the chips were ever really down it was one child per parent to deal with - everybody was covered.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
11/22/22 9:53 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Just wait until they have two teenagers in the house at the same time

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
11/22/22 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Ours are 4-6 years apart. The eldest is now 36, the youngest is 19. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/22/22 10:11 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

I never really wanted to have kids, but really came around after friends started having kids and I spent time around them. I thought one would be enough but decided to try for a second one. Man, I cannot tell you the joy they bring me. Day to day might seem like a major drag but it's like imagine if you could suddenly turn the joy up in your like by a thousand notches. Imagine if you could have someone that's literally beyond excited to see you every day and you could be that person's favorite person in the world, at least most of the time. It's really something. And our second daughter is just amazing in a totally different way from the first - an absolute joy to be around and she really lights up people's lives in a completely different way from the first. It almost makes me want even more but then I decide to just get kicked in the nuts again instead like Pete suggests.

(And no, dogs don't count. I've had a dog. They're amazing, but in a totally different way - absolutely nothing like a human.)

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/22/22 10:12 a.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/22/22 10:56 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/22/22 11:19 a.m.
dculberson said:
93EXCivic said:

I never really wanted to have kids, but really came around after friends started having kids and I spent time around them. I thought one would be enough but decided to try for a second one. Man, I cannot tell you the joy they bring me. Day to day might seem like a major drag but it's like imagine if you could suddenly turn the joy up in your like by a thousand notches. Imagine if you could have someone that's literally beyond excited to see you every day and you could be that person's favorite person in the world, at least most of the time. It's really something. And our second daughter is just amazing in a totally different way from the first - an absolute joy to be around and she really lights up people's lives in a completely different way from the first. It almost makes me want even more but then I decide to just get kicked in the nuts again instead like Pete suggests.

(And no, dogs don't count. I've had a dog. They're amazing, but in a totally different way - absolutely nothing like a human.)

I have loved being a dad with the first one and our kid has for most part been fairly easy but my wife and I had absolutely zero motivation to want a second one. This experience hasn't done much to encourage this. I also grew up as an only child so that may be part of it.

I will say there are plenty of times my dog is more work then the kid lol.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/22/22 4:53 p.m.

Grrr.  I found a job that pays pretty close to what I'm earning right now and it's only two days a week. It's an hour commute, and 5am start time, both things I'm not a fan of. But it's only two days a week. But I really enjoy working with the apprentice kids. But it's only two days a week. And I have a really good deal where I am now, they just leave me alone. But it's only two days a week...

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
11/22/22 7:56 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Just wait until they have two teenagers in the house at the same time

We have one at ~19 months and one now 3 weeks old. We are loving it, even if we don't have it necessarily figured out yet, lol

Minor rant today is that our hot water heater went out in the form of spewing water out, so I am shop-vac'ing water out of our basement tonight instead of doing anything else

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
11/22/22 10:20 p.m.

Lost a friend yesterday. Mike was a straight shooter, knowledgeable, caring, and a good laugh. The phrase "I had an old girlfriend like that," will live on in his memory. As near as I remember, he was a bit north of 70 and lived hard in his youth. Survived the drugs, survived the drink, survived 'Rona. If he saw something wrong he wouldn't hesitate to speak up and act. 
If you drink, have one for Mike. 
If you smoke, light one up. 
He'd rather have had a party than a funeral. 
Helluva guy. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/23/22 1:02 p.m.

It's been 20 years since I bought a can of VP, but HOLY E36 M3!

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/23/22 4:01 p.m.

The scratching has started. My dog has begun sniffing and barking at the floorboards in the middle of the night. It's finally cold enough in Texas for the animals to live under the house again.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/23/22 6:14 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Lost a friend yesterday. Mike was a straight shooter, knowledgeable, caring, and a good laugh. The phrase "I had an old girlfriend like that," will live on in his memory. As near as I remember, he was a bit north of 70 and lived hard in his youth. Survived the drugs, survived the drink, survived 'Rona. If he saw something wrong he wouldn't hesitate to speak up and act. 
If you drink, have one for Mike. 
If you smoke, light one up. 
He'd rather have had a party than a funeral. 
Helluva guy. 

Didn't see this til just now, but having a beer for Mike. Might also go annoy my neighbor to come out to his garage so we can toke up for him too.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/23/22 7:10 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

You basically just get used to being tired all the time.

The 3 month old has started sleeping through the night occasionally :) Just in time for the 2 year old to start having random bad dreams that wake her up crying between 2-3am :(

wae
wae PowerDork
11/24/22 12:16 a.m.

I thought about testing the starter before I put it on.  But, no.  I thought "eh, I can trust the local rebuilder.  He's been doing this forever and he does a good job".  Sure enough, as soon as the negative cable touched the battery the starter started.  So I pulled the solenoid connector off.  Same thing.  It wouldn't be such a big deal except the starter is under the intake plenum.  Upside, though, is that I can pull a starter off a CR-V in about 30 minutes flat now.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
11/24/22 7:04 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:
93EXCivic said:

You basically just get used to being tired all the time.

The 3 month old has started sleeping through the night occasionally :) Just in time for the 2 year old to start having random bad dreams that wake her up crying between 2-3am :(

Yeah but that pays off in spades when you are sitting on the porch with a cold one while they are cutting the grass. 

wae
wae PowerDork
11/24/22 11:31 a.m.

Yeah, I KNOW that isn't where that thing was supposed to be stored.  But I knew exactly where it was, so I didn't move it.  When YOU moved it, you should have remembered where you put it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/24/22 11:43 a.m.

In reply to wae :

That's a thing with me. I'm cluttered, yes, but DON'T touch my piles. I know what in every single one of them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/24/22 11:44 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/24/22 11:45 a.m.

21 pages of pimping Dubai hoes by 3am. Pimpin ain't easy.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
11/24/22 1:25 p.m.

Amazon processed all our returns as gift card credits instead of going back to my credit card. No recourse apparently. Sonofabitch....

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
11/24/22 2:33 p.m.

My oven took a dump. Yep, on Thanksgiving. Two hours before my in laws were supposed to get here. So I ran to my sisters and got a roaster for the turkey, well we overcooked the hell out of that. Oh well. Plenty of other stuff to eat.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RhABt5as2wSmziZKC6S49FBWiWnrosQ1bRESiVV5UgMKQEKA0obEKxjKXthYSic5