Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/6/23 8:39 p.m.

Bought a Morton water softener last August and it seems like it's not working nor did it ever really work?  Finally after 5 phone calls and a dozen projects they have me do I ask if they can send someone out to fix it.   

This unit only has a one year parts warranty but no labor warranty.  

It's past 90 days for a store return.....

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
2/8/23 12:40 p.m.

Just now noticing my beard is not greying evenly. The right side is about twice as grey as the left.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/8/23 12:42 p.m.

Holy carp.

I found a bike I want to buy in Ottawa, about a 5hr drive. No problem, I'll get a motel room and stay the night.

The cheapest room I can find is $115. In February! I have points, but it's a principal thing

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
2/8/23 1:56 p.m.

I'm a writer so this whole AI generated content thing has my attention.

So let me get this straight: we have an AI create the content...so another search engine AI can read the content...which decides where the content ranks...which determines if the humans should read it.

As a technical writer I want to know who the lawyers sue when one of these chatbots tells people to do something dangerous without a real tech editor reviewing it.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/8/23 2:06 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

As long as the ai doesn't start trying to invent a special kind of fusion for energy production...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/8/23 2:34 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Rear main seal on an Equinox.

Mitchell calls for less time to do the seal than engine R&R or transmission R&R, either of which is a prerequisite to doing the seal.  (The engine is coming out for safety reasons)

Mitchell calls for HALF the time that Alldata does.

....and it ended up taking me a little over hour less time than Mitchell to R&R, including pulling the valve cover and rodding the crud out of the VC and intake passages.

But still.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
2/8/23 3:11 p.m.

You'd think after nearly 40 years of working with electricity and electronics in some form that I've have learned to not use a metal ruler to measure things around exposed electrical contacts (or around anything electrical in general). Nope. And as a result, apparently fried something on my 3D printer's main board such that the hot end is getting the max 24V it can be fed 100% of the time- which means that it's unusable until a new board shows up tomorrow. I did use this chance to snag a larger one that someone had for sale nearby... but I'd completely forgotten just how simple (not in a good way IMO) stock printers can be (and how slow). 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
2/8/23 3:15 p.m.

I got transferred from my last role to the current role a little over a year ago. It's remote and my boss is great so those are good things. The role I was outbid was to put the finishing touches on a plan to implement a large capital project and then do the implementation. Great, $18m was approved when I started and we need another $17m. I put together the plan for everyone on board and at the final tollgate the project was canceled. So now I am on a new project, I know nothing about the product at all and I am struggling to find my footing. There are dozens of other roles they could put me in that I could have immediate success but I think they are holding on to me to use for future projects. I appreciate the job and my boss but berkeley I feel useless at work right now. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/8/23 6:15 p.m.

I had a front stabilizer bar from a Cavalier that might have been perfect for this Mini/Subaru buggy thingus.

I think I may have scrapped it.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
2/8/23 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Yeah, it's Winterlude so the hotels are keeping the rates up. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/8/23 8:15 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Rear main seal on an Equinox.

Mitchell calls for less time to do the seal than engine R&R or transmission R&R, either of which is a prerequisite to doing the seal.  (The engine is coming out for safety reasons)

Mitchell calls for HALF the time that Alldata does.

....and it ended up taking me a little over hour less time than Mitchell to R&R, including pulling the valve cover and rodding the crud out of the VC and intake passages.

But still.

I was a little surprised that our dealership didn't get a single Equinox in with a blown-out rear main seal after the -20 degree cold snap last weekend. I think it's because they're all dying off around here.

I'm also reminded of the time we discovered that the labor rate for a torque converter in an Aveo was 3 hours, but a radiator was 6 hours. That one really baffled us.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/8/23 8:20 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

At under 90k miles, the inside of the head looked awful with gunk, and all of the cam lobes and rollers were scored.  It was like the '83 Cavalier someone I went to high school had, where he pulled the valve cover off and it was a jellymould of sludge.

Bonus: Vehicle was dropped off 3k overdue per sticker and at 7% oil life.  And on an empty fuel tank, so my road test was only the 5 mile loop.

Minor confession: part of the reason I pulled the engine and not the trans was because I did not feel like doing the wheel lock key scavenger hunt

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/9/23 9:18 a.m.

It's great to be on call for production issues when I don't have access to the production environment, or even much of an understanding of what to do if there is a failure anyway.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/9/23 9:25 a.m.
eastpark said:

In reply to Peabody :

Yeah, it's Winterlude so the hotels are keeping the rates up. 

Ah, that makes sense, thank you.

I guess I'm not very good at this. A few years ago we decided to go to Ottawa for the week, and like we normally do, just show up, find a place to stay and do our thing. When we got there we couldn't find a motel room anywhere. It turned out that there was some major amateur sport event going on. Had to drive 30 minutes into Gatineau to find a place, which worked out because I actually preferred staying there.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
2/9/23 10:13 a.m.

Sometimes integrity and honesty are expensive.

They do make it pretty easy to sleep at night though, so they are worth the cost. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/9/23 10:37 a.m.

Stuff shuffling. We just took delivery of new mattress. Which means we need to remove the old one. Which means stairs and things, out to the truck. Which means unloading the truck. Which means finding another set of hands to help with the toolbox I finally got out of our old place. Which means cleaning the garage to make room because we have too much stuff we have to keep shuffling. 

And kid1's new mattress arrives on Friday. Rinse and repeat. 

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
2/9/23 12:38 p.m.

I found out yesterday that we're doing a project that needs to be done by the end of the month. These projects always take way more effort than advertised. I'm supposed to be out of town for 2 of those days. So, 13 work days to get a lot of work done. I'm sure my boss will just say it needs to get done so make it happen. 

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
2/9/23 2:09 p.m.

Yesterday morning, my girlfriend messaged me and said that she heard a boom, but couldn't see any clear cause of it. I had no idea what it could have been, and I forgot about it by the time I left work.

Got home and saw a pile of black shiny stuff laying next to/under my truck. Apparently the back window decided it didn't want to be attached anymore and fell out, sliding between the cab and bed, hitting the frame, and then shattering all over the ground. Now I have to pay to have a new window installed.

It's worse because it's partially my own fault, the window clearly hadn't been installed right and had air gaps in some places, but was solidly in place, so I just taped around the perimeter to get rid of the wind noise, with the intention of eventually removing the window or at least adding sealer in the gaps. Two years later, and the only thing I did was replace the tape when it started peeling.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/9/23 2:23 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Stuff shuffling. 

We had hardwood floors put in. Entire house which is considered a 3 step ranch.   

1. Empty and shuffle 3 bedrooms of stuff into garage and other rooms.  New floors.
  2. Floor guy off a week for you to shuffle and paint 2 empty rooms.
  3. Shuffle living, dining, kitchen, 1 bath, office and hallway into garage and the family room (kept carpet). New floors.
  4. Shuffle it all back.  
  5. Put it all back and DON'T scratch a floor.
  6. We pretty much moved out of our house without ever leaving.  Empty every closet and take down anything hanging on a wall.  

​​But - wife is happy.

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
2/9/23 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Feel for you-- our kitchen remodel is supposed to be winding down this week. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
2/9/23 5:21 p.m.

Back hurts from the dentist visit. Am I getting old?

I was also about to go all Larry David on them and comment on how the armrests insufficiently support the elbows when reclined.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/9/23 6:02 p.m.
Karacticus said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Feel for you-- our kitchen remodel is supposed to be winding down this week. 

That was 18 months ago........Congratulations.

We're calling my sisters bathroom remodeling guy next week. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
2/10/23 12:32 a.m.

Got a Challenger from Turo because I wanted to drive one for awhile and see how it was.

Waikiki has small parking lots and structures. I feel like I'm driving the USS Challenger. Like.....it requires 4 spotters

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/10/23 10:52 a.m.

I just bought tickets for a popular concert and got redirected to a reseller rather than the box office.

In a hurry because sellout and didn't notice until I pulled the trigger.

Paid roughly double what I should have.  Not a huge amount of money, but still.  I feel stupid.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/10/23 11:53 a.m.

Oh, you mean one of those rat bastards that buy out half a venu to resell at ridiculous prices? I'm not sure who I hate more, them or Ticketbastard WHO WILLINGLY ALLOWS THEM  TO DO IT.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rekmcj5WNjQfY4vS0YeCgmVKHU5NRbYhwIjdqmNNCdrvqcsxUL8cmDcCr2fHjpNS