Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/22/23 8:46 p.m.

Tuesday's and Wednesday's weather has been beautiful early spring conditions.

Autocross season opener is on Saturday.  We have 100 confirmed entries and 30 on the waitlist.

Forecast is rain all day, thunderstorms in the afternoon, highs in the mid 50s, and 10-20 mph winds.

Guess what's getting canceled?

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/22/23 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Is there any particular job board I should be looking at? I'm on Linkedin.

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
3/23/23 6:20 a.m.

berkeleying worked berkeleying late and had to be in at 6am because some berkeleytard can't be bothered to do their berkeleying job on berkeleying time. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/23/23 9:04 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

I have no experience with LinkedIn, I just look on indeed.

Where do you live now?

I checked Indeed this morning, 1,696 jobs millwright jobs in Ontario, so it's slowing as it used to be well over 2000. But I just heard the company I worked for 20 years is now hiring unlicensed guys at $45/hr, $10k sign, they're so desperate, but I'm guessing it's unlikely you'll get in the country without a license.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/23/23 10:38 a.m.

Not really a major rant, and more tied in with the American use of anything but the metric system to measure stuff.

A 16 penny nail.  Really?  You can still buy 16 nails of a particular size for 16 cents, just like you could in 1891.

Or, it could be measured by size...

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/23/23 10:43 a.m.

Overnight temps for our track event this weekend are forecast to be in the mid 20s...  I'm ready for winter to be over.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/23/23 10:43 a.m.

Looking for jobs in Virginia to be near family. Richmond would be a great fit.

Find one where the description of duties would really fit my skills and experience.

Look closely, and realize the parent company is Phillip Morris. I am not sure what I think ethically about the prospect of working for a big tobacco company.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/23/23 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Assuming that you are not supporting their tobacco product production, I see a quick three ways to look at it.

1. You are working for big tobacco, helping them make money to support tobacco production.

2. You are helping the corporation be profitable in other markets enabling them to be more able to let their tobacco products become less of a corporate concern.

3. Companies get bought and sold so often, you have no way to guarantee that they would still own your employer in five years, and know way to guarantee that they would not purchase a different employer five years from now.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/23/23 11:06 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Not really a major rant, and more tied in with the American use of anything but the metric system to measure stuff.

A 16 penny nail.  Really?  You can still buy 16 nails of a particular size for 16 cents, just like you could in 1891.

Or, it could be measured by size...

At least there is no pretense of dimension.  There is only a vague handwave correlation between NPT sizes and the dimensions used to define them.

Somewhere I had read that non English speakers made better programmers and UN*X users because they didn't know what grep or sudo or whatever were "supposed" to mean, they just knew that THIS did THAT.  English speakers would be like, ok what does ls stand for again?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/23/23 11:12 a.m.

The rant.  Whatever has been low level making me feel tired and cramped all the time has sunk its teeth in and now I can barely stand up.  Sitting in the car now trying to build up the reserve to make it up the three stairs into the house.

Grr.  I have WORK to do

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/23/23 11:17 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

This job would be supporting their tobacco production. That is why my skills would transfer so well. It would revolve around the processes of clean and sanitary production and packaging.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/23/23 1:13 p.m.

In reply to PetieT :

The school systems are still largely geared toward making clerks.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/23/23 1:27 p.m.

In reply to PetieT :

In grade school my son in the 90's brought home "word searches" for homework that I determined was just time filler work.  I or my wife would do them or I'd challenge him to circle anything, that teacher isn't looking at them. 

The tables have turned and now he teaches Chemistry at a University and sometimes he needs "filler work" for his students.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/23/23 2:31 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

I am not sure what I think ethically about the prospect of working for a big tobacco company.

I'm sure you're aware of the damage that alcohol does to individuals and families. How do you deal with that being a brewer?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/23/23 2:53 p.m.
Peabody said:
Beer Baron said:

I am not sure what I think ethically about the prospect of working for a big tobacco company.

I'm sure you're aware of the damage that alcohol does to individuals and families. How do you deal with that?

I don't know of any industry that has zero negative impacts. But does it provide positive impact? What is the balance?

The vast majority of people who consume alcohol do so in healthy moderation. Our taproom and most of the accounts we service are positive social environments. We serve a community of adults who already consume alcohol. We do not try to coerce people to become drinkers who are not already. We provide high quality non-alcoholic options to people who want the social experience of being at a bar without alcohol. We certainly don't try to entice underage people to drink alcohol.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/23/23 7:03 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I'm still in central Illinois.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/23/23 9:58 p.m.

Canada Customs is making my life miserable.  They held up my ecoboost timing tools long enough that I made my own, then bitched out Amazon and they gave me my money back.  The tools arrived almost exactly as I was taking payment for the invoice on the car.

I need a clutch for a 97 awd 850 Volvo.  Perhaps not a unicorn, but close enough.  Had to order it from Skandix? in Germany.  It was presented by DHL to customs on March 1.  Every time I check tracking, it says it will be here on 1 to 12 days.

Not. Helping.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/23/23 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I've heard similar arguments about tobacco.  We're only looking to convert current smokers to our brand and not get nonsmokers to start.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/23/23 10:01 p.m.

Okay Milwaukee Brewers guy - most scams involve getting somebody's money.  How do multiple threads do anything for you?  

What's the scam?

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/23/23 10:08 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

I've heard similar arguments about tobacco.  We're only looking to convert current smokers to our brand and not get nonsmokers to start.  

Not a drinker here, but as I understand it, there can be safe levels of alcohol consumption, but there is not an acceptable level of smoking.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
3/24/23 4:56 a.m.

It's been years since I've seen a tobacco advertisement I didn't personally request. I can't get away from alcohol advertisements. Vices are vices, fulfilling one is no different than fulfilling any other.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/24/23 6:09 a.m.

berkeley you, Pennsyltucky! 32 cents per mile to drive my own car on your cop-infested turnpike?!?!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/24/23 6:20 a.m.

In keeping with my road trip rant, berkeley recreational weed. Aside from smelling a skunk at every traffic light, every billboard in Michigan tells me where to get the stickiest of the icky. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if burnt weed didn't smell like Bigfoot's dick.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/24/23 7:05 a.m.
matthewmcl said:
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

Not a drinker here, but as I understand it, there can be safe levels of alcohol consumption, but there is not an acceptable level of smoking.

Depends on who you ask. There was discussion about this a few weeks ago. I believe the Canadian government says there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
3/24/23 7:11 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Yea Michigan weed is pretty terrible, but don't tell them that, they think they're the new emerald triangle. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8IZ8GPhHMu5ZlMGBIi4MdFpZYtXYlN4QBXJFrkt3fmgA5YBo24IN6gtGuk681slS