Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/27/23 10:31 a.m.

You are 42 years old. What do you mean you don't know how to figure out the area of a rectangle? 

I have no words, just this face - Skeptical Baby | Make a Meme

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/27/23 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Metric or SAE rectangle?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/27/23 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Well, being that this was a USA company I was getting the glass from, I needed it rounded up to the nearest foot. I know that's kind of hard seeing as the total was 9 square feet. Being that I am the king around here, we were using my foot. wink

I have ugly feet | welessermortals

No those aren't my feet. If they were I would have at least brushed them for the picture. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
3/27/23 12:06 p.m.

I hope I made the right choice by not going medieval on the neighbor's kids who vandalized my old cabin in N.C. I could have gone over there and put the fear of multiple gods into them and their family for being stupid, but mountain feuds can run deep and long. I'd rather replace a few windows than get a call that the place is on fire. Me and the grandpa are on good terms and the kids were dealt with already. I'm more pissed about the E36 M3ty situation the kids are in than the broken windows. Bunch of kids and grandkids crammed in the grandparent's house from divorces and other bad stuff. One little kid even helped me clean up (he was probably there for the mischief). Now they know who owns the place and that is isn't abandoned. I'll be going up there more often, time to work on it anyway.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/27/23 2:25 p.m.

I lost my father last year to cancer.  My 75 year old mother lives with me. She has been through a lot. Lost a lobe of her lung to cancer, COPD, and she just an Aneurysm in her Abdominal Aorta repaired three weeks ago. Right now she is fighting stage four kidney disease.  This isn't what bothers me though. She's a fighter, it's not going to kill her.  I just hate watching her slip mentally. She is at the age where I hear the occasional story repeated and now when she makes food for herself, she leaves the trash on the counter rather than taking it 5 feet to the can.  She was always quite fastidious, but it is falling away with time.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
3/27/23 2:29 p.m.

Verizon and the power company are fighting it out, almost literally. There's a power line down and crossing the road, so Verizon won't touch their stuff, but they need to move their stuff so the power company can deal with the downed live wire. The downed live wire that no one can believe has been left on the road unattended since early Sunday morning. 

People continue to ignore the road closed signs and cones. I wish I had cameras so I could catch the inevitable wreck, because NO ONE does the 35 posted speed limit on my road. Last night I saw several close calls after dark, and someone plowed right through the lines down further down the street this morning. Lines that have been a surprise to everyone whose actually come to look at things. 

No communication at west Penn or Verizon it soundslike.

Although, asking the Verizon service tech I got to on the phone which office everybody who missed work because of downed comm lines needed to send a bill to for missed wages seemed to get the ball rolling very quickly. Didn't have an answer, but their trucks came back shortly after. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
3/28/23 7:57 a.m.

I've already been depressed with the recent death of my 20 year old cat. Now my job has turned into a raging dumpster fire of too much work and not enough support from management.  Plus my wife and I have been looking for a financial adviser and all of the candidates have agreed that we are way behind on retirement savings and we need to find a lot more money to save.

berkeley. Why is my life a constant series of this pressure, stress and anxiety?  When does being a grown up become enjoyable? 

Realistically I'm probably going to have to sell the really nice Miata that I just bought and the Datsun Z project that I've had for over 20 years plus find a new job and start commuting again to something non WFH. That solves some of the money issues but introduces a whole new set of stressors. 

I feel like things will always be E36 M3ty and that my life is just a series of Whack a Mole problems.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/28/23 8:13 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I stabbed the distributor in correctly the first time.

Unfortunately, i convinced myself it was wrong, so i changed it....

Tomorrow is another day. 

Its alive! But looks atrocious after having to berkeley with it so much, the plugs are fouled,  and there's fuel in the oil.  But, it runs!

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
3/28/23 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

barely?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
3/28/23 8:41 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Would it make any sense to rent it to them for a few years, or is that a headache you don't want?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/28/23 9:08 p.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

It's a roller coaster your entire life.  

I spent the week hanging with my college daughter and we enjoyed this past weekend and the drive back to school Sunday night was special.  

Tonight she's all pissy cause I'm against her going to Lallapslooza this summer - $450+ for tickets and the rest will run another $500.  Save your money for your college apartment next fall...........

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/23 3:29 p.m.

Watching non-pilots tell a pilot what it is to be a pilot is annoyamusing.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/29/23 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Try being an engineer.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
3/29/23 5:12 p.m.

Always verify what they mean when someone asks if you want to play with strippers. My idea and their idea were entirely different, and now I have latex paint goop all over the garage. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/23 11:18 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

True. But you're 75% less likely to get a pilot to pilot discussion. There are about 617,000 pilots in the US vs. 2,000,000 engineers.

I love talking aviation, but when you start blasting bullE36 M3 "theory" about how it all actually works instead of experience, I can't take you serious.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/30/23 6:53 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Kind of like how I tell my brother, a commercial airline pilot, he's just a glorified bus driver? 

Tires got delivered today. There is a tire shop literally on the other side of the fence in my backyard. It's a small place but got great reviews so I thought I'd give them a shot. 

$40 per tire for mount and balance!? surprise

The tires are 225/70R16s and don't have TPMS sensors. WTF? 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/30/23 7:23 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Making it painful since you didn't purchase them from their store.  

Tire Rack?  They have authorized installers.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/30/23 7:56 p.m.

The guy has 10 or 15 grand tied up in equipment, and he has to pay some dude to bend your stiff sidewall tires onto the wheels, after which you, or someone very much like you, will bitch about a scratched wheel.  By charging a reasonable amout of money, he can repair the stuff damaged with a smile, instead of dodging the bill in any way possible.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
3/30/23 8:01 p.m.

Going rate here is 25-30 a tire. I suspect a lot of things are more expensive where you are lately. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
3/30/23 10:58 p.m.

Damn it's 20$ a tire including disposal in San Diego. The most expensive place on earth. 

lost out on a car purchase because the vibe of the seller was just all over the place. It was cheap enough that I could have stomached a lot of headache but berkeley it not doing that with work the way it is. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/31/23 3:16 p.m.

Most places are $35-40 a tire for mount & balance here these days.

The local DT used to throw it in for free with a set of 4 for me, but now they have to have corporate's permission to go on a bathroom break so that's history.

On another rant, I need a $20 part that is either $20+18 shipping online, or $40 from the local stealership.   Can't win...

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
3/31/23 3:44 p.m.

Why does "don't show me articles from this source" NOT work on CNN, FOX, WAPO, or NYT? They just crash chrome when I pick to not see articles from them. Works just fine for People, E!, kotaku, and vox. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/31/23 3:55 p.m.

God Siemens CAD software packages are the biggest turds in the CAD industry.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UberDork
3/31/23 4:27 p.m.
mad_machine said:

I lost my father last year to cancer.  My 75 year old mother lives with me. She has been through a lot. Lost a lobe of her lung to cancer, COPD, and she just an Aneurysm in her Abdominal Aorta repaired three weeks ago. Right now she is fighting stage four kidney disease.  This isn't what bothers me though. She's a fighter, it's not going to kill her.  I just hate watching her slip mentally. She is at the age where I hear the occasional story repeated and now when she makes food for herself, she leaves the trash on the counter rather than taking it 5 feet to the can.  She was always quite fastidious, but it is falling away with time.

Yep, I picked my dad up to drive him to his tax guy on Wednesday and he had his shoes on backwards L-R / R-L.  I didn't think that was even possible...to not notice or feel that something is wrong indicates to me that he is slipping fast. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
atp1r92jLGhCcAfLoYMbAKtIxoTgvg5ZDF2PEAIEmsExZ4QuC2N7k2skn3MjC8FP