Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
5/25/23 3:10 p.m.

Oh joy, it's that time of year again- this Saturday is The Dancer's non-profit's annual yard sale fundraiser. No, this rant isn't really about the fundraiser itself- honestly, it's usually a lot of fun and the weather is supposed to be absolutely beautiful Saturday morning. My issues are...

1. It's always a fight- and one that I rarely win it seems- getting FacePlantMarketplace to let me actually list the verdammt thing. This year they immediately flagged it as 'not including an item for sale'. I immediately contested it saying, "This is a listing for a yard sale- it's literally a listing for -hundreds- of items for sale." They also appear to have outright removed the Yard/Garage Sale category. Yeah, you likely want people to list things individually so you can get more ad revenue from people clicking through listings- go berk yourself Zuck, that's just not possible for yard sales like this.

2. We have yet to start going through and pricing things. I get the impression that we're going to be doing a lot of pricing as we put things out in the hour or so before we officially open the sale. We'll likely be spending a modest bit of tomorrow doing it- but we should have started like a week ago. Unfortunately she has had a full schedule up until today so has not wanted to get started working on it. 

3. My left rotator cuff has been an absolute bitch for the last few weeks, and The Dancer's hip has been a nightmare for a while now- we're not going to have a fun time moving all of the crap out of the garage and into the driveway.

Icing on the cake- the nice thing is that once the sale is done all of the crap for it is no longer in the garage and I can actually try and clean it up and work on the DMC. And hey! Monday is a holiday so I have, in effect, a 4-day weekend. But the first photo shoot for The Dancer's show is going to be on Monday- and I'm likely going to need to drive the QX4 to carry dancers to the location (since it's about half an hour out of town), so at least part of the day will be shot as far as time to work out in the garage. And I'm also likely going to have to stop and pick up the 5 school desks that have (to my delight) been living at the dance studio she works at for a good while now- and I was really hoping would just let us keep storing them there since they will likely be using them more often than we will. But no, despite having a large amount of space to store stuff want us to take them back home so they'll take up space in the garage again.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/25/23 4:01 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Oh goody, the AC just died.

Have you tried changing the fluid?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/25/23 4:04 p.m.

Add Subaru to the list of shiny happy person cars.

They will remember that the radio volume was set to "Tunguska" but they won't remember that you turned the radio off.  So every key cycle LOUD NOISES until you can smack the radio off button.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
5/25/23 4:33 p.m.

I got recruited, I mean peer pressured without choice, into joining a softball league with my friends/neighbors and their buddies.  I am not the most athletic person and have not been on an organized sports ball team since 8th grade.  I took up running about 15 years ago to prove to myself that my body is capable of doing more than sitting on the couch.

Let me back up again. Last fall, the topic of a co-ed softball team was brought up with the same group of friends.  My wife, who was always the sports girl, was very excited about the thought of playing on a team.  Again, I didn't care but was willing to play for the group.  Last Friday, my buddy asks if I'm still down to play in the league.  I said, sure, but this is a co-ed team right? Crickets.  Turns out it is not a co-ed team.  Now, my wife is royally pissed at me for playing on a team I don't really care to play on.  It's once a week at 8pm so it's not a crazy time commitment, and she keeps telling me to go and play and she really wants me to play but also telling me how pissed she is.  Today, I mentioned on the phone that it was a little chilly out today and I didn't know if I should wear a sweatshirt to the game.  She took that as me rubbing it in her face and after ranting at me on the phone, gave me the "you do better I've done nothing wrong".  Since this topic came about, she's been on my case like never before.  I think I'll play a few games and quietly bow out if I'm not needed.

My first game is tonight at 8.  Can't wait!!! One thing I'm not going to do is talk about the game unless asked specific details. 

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
5/25/23 6:54 p.m.

(Sighs) Weekend with distant family. Ugh.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/25/23 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The VW does that. Its super irritating since i never listen to anything. Turning it off turns off the nav screen as well. I set it to media and since there is no media I get silence. Stupid car. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
5/25/23 11:51 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The Dancer's Colorado has the opposite problem- when you first get in and start it up it will have the volume all the way down and sometimes takes a 30 seconds or so before it will respond to trying to turn it up. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/26/23 6:00 a.m.

My Spark has a setting for volume on power up. No matter where it was, it returns to the preset on startup

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
5/26/23 9:00 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

In reply to slefain :

I'd see if you can talk them into another Free Admission day or two to make up for them dropping the ball this badly and give those kids a chance.

Got an email from the vice mayor today saying they are going to do another event and properly advertise it this time.

At least they owned up to it. The city manager lied and said it had been posted and I called that out immediately. It is just getting exhausting keeping our city leadership in check, but if I don't nobody else will.

iansane
iansane Dork
5/26/23 11:07 a.m.

I bought a rear main seal kit from O'reilly last year. Finally got around to installing it and discovered...

I'm actually kind of impressed. No one along the trail to my garage figured out that it wasn't a rear main seal plate in the box. Obviously someone bought it, returned it with crappy CDs and everyone else never even looked at it. Beautiful.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
5/26/23 11:54 a.m.

TLDR: My wife already has a ton of antiques and collectibles as it is. We really don't need, or frankly have room for, any more. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
5/26/23 12:26 p.m.

Stopped at the golden arches for lunch, since apparently I hate myself and need reminded of that once in a while.

Grabbed a $3 'bundle' of a double cheeseburger and a small fry.  On a whim I grabbed a second double cheeseburger.  $3.29.  So it costs more for less.  Cool.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/26/23 12:26 p.m.
Peabody said:

My Spark has a setting for volume on power up. No matter where it was, it returns to the preset on startup

The TSX would hold whatever volume you left it on, but it would start at zero and ramp the volume up to that point rather than blasting you out as soon as the power hit.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/26/23 1:40 p.m.

Another example of automatic stuff doing it wrong.  If I leave the volume at a level in my car, and it chose to change that volume based on anything, I would complain about it every day for the rest of my life.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
5/26/23 5:59 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Prime example of why now we have to inspect every return that comes in. Customers get offended by it almost everytime 'You don't trust me? I buy here all the time!'  "Not that, policy says check everything because there have been times that someone has returned a broken part. You wouldn't want to get a used part in the box would you?"

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/26/23 6:23 p.m.

Forgot I had a floor jack in the back of the car.

Heavy braking zone.  THUMP.

Think I damaged the amplifier.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/26/23 6:31 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Forgot I had a floor jack in the back of the car.

Heavy braking zone.  THUMP.

Think I damaged the amplifier.

My 300te had a dent in the passenger quarter where my floor Jack came loose and broke the side panel and dented the inside of the quarter on a roundabout. Doh!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
5/26/23 7:01 p.m.

"Progress" making stuff that was expensive now worthless.
In this case, my Nikon FG 35mm SLR with many extras!
Yah, a FILM camera.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
5/26/23 10:38 p.m.

EPA mandating that small engines no longer have a mixture adjustment.
Hullo, I live at 4,700', so everything runs rich, fouls plugs, and becomes hard/impossible to start.
Don't say go electric, the  electric string trimmer burned up in only two hours and did not reach the entire yard.

superfund
superfund New Reader
5/26/23 11:02 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

My car has six or so small outward dents in the right quarter panel from an alternator rolling around in the trunk. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
5/27/23 12:04 p.m.

I'll spare you the graphic details, but I'm one useless, miserable son of a gun.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/27/23 12:04 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

EPA mandating that small engines no longer have a mixture adjustment.
Hullo, I live at 4,700', so everything runs rich, fouls plugs, and becomes hard/impossible to start.
Don't say go electric, the  electric string trimmer burned up in only two hours and did not reach the entire yard.

What the hell are you doing using a string trimmer for 2 hours? You live at Augusta National or something?

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/27/23 12:06 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Just get a scythe? No moving parts, no evil electrons, no points to set.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/27/23 12:12 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to RichardSIA :

Just get a scythe? No moving parts, no evil electrons, no points to set.

And in many cases, more effective and easier than the string trimmer. And more fun too!

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/27/23 1:36 p.m.

This almost should be a learn me thread.

Why does every shopping site I visit have to dump a full-screen modal dialog for a 15% discount if I sign up for the mailing list?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6W4ZsuLvwg4NSdlLkzgntflIUfUgNGtjeLpy1oalLodAJ5slAqoAbKHDhrI4ao1P