Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/31/23 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I would talk to an attorney about filing a harassment lawsuit. If you have a winnable case it will do a couple of things. All future contact will be required to go through the attorney and it may just shut her down. If it's going to cost her a large sum of money to continue her abuse she may just shut the hell up and go away. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/31/23 11:09 a.m.

Armchair quarterbacking is one of your minor rants included, but...

One common occurence in dementia cases is a financial paranoia, if you will.  "When I retired, I had a half a million dollars in the bank.  Now, thirty years later, I have almost nothing.  I don't remember spending any of it."  Is evil step-being being evil, or is she acting in good faith on things Step Father said?  Has there been a sit down, face to face, with lawyers present?  Is she an evil cow, or does she think you are an evil step son?  

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/31/23 11:17 a.m.

We decided to put a shed up north, which I'm excited for, but we had approximately 2 days to figure it all out and make the plans and order lumber, and that makes it really stressful. My wife is very seriously hoping we can get it fully built in 2 weekends, but with the roof type we're doing, and going in with zero site prep I'm not so sure it'll be that easy. I also basically started back at work this week after 10wks out of office, and we took overnight diapers off or 2 year old for the first time last night. It's busy and I'm stressed, which isn't my normal speed

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/31/23 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I wish you good luck, and agree that going on the legal offensive may be a good idea.  My sister has already claimed to someone else that I'm going to steal her inheritance, and my mom is still quite healthy and of sound mind.

My GF found someone on Facebook who is asking for help as she is moving out on her own with nothing (divorce). We have lots of stuff since I moved in and we stuffed all my stuff in her 900sq ft house. It's packed. Lots of duplicates. Two sets of furniture. A washer and dryer. Etc. Etc.

The woman has rescheduled on us three times. She was supposed to come over with a U-Haul this morning so she could grab everything. That turned into this afternoon. Now she says she'll be over this evening. I have today off and am a little irritated that I've wasted my entire day waiting on her. 

And now it's going to be storming when (and if) she shows up. I'm not going to be a happy camper loading appliances and furniture in a thunderstorm. 

I'm all for helping someone but this is getting ridiculous. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/31/23 4:13 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

No good deed goes unpunished.

In reply to Duke :

Indeed.

Well she finally showed up and guess what, it's pouring outside. But she brought help so all I had to do was load some of the smaller items. The dude she brought was the size of a refrigerator. Actually I think he was a grizzly bear. I offered to help load the washer and dryer but he politely declined. He loaded both himself by bear hugging and lifting them off the dolly and placing them on the floor of the U-Haul truck. Think "World's Strongest Man" competition. Dude was a monster.

They were nice people and I'm happy I got rid of some stuff. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/31/23 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Jesus Christ, best of luck for you and yours.

Also, how is your mom?

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/1/23 2:26 a.m.

Why is there liquid inside my steam deck, and where did it come from?

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/1/23 9:19 a.m.

Thanks. I deleted the post because legal. I was venting. Some days it's just too much, and I can't keep up. It seems like it's never going away. But it will. Like I - and everybody else, said there's really nothing there. 
Mom is physically good, mentally bad. It's tough on it's own. 

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

Did the Steam condensate?

I'll see myself out now 

(PS, I have a Steam deck too. Sadly, it spends 98% of the time in its storage case.)

At what point do you just say "Berk it, I've had enough"?

I've been at this job 4.5 years. I have outlasted 4 different site leads and probably a dozen or more peers. In that time, I have advanced one position. I didn't want this position as I was happy where I was at because I had zero supervisory duties. Now, I'm not really a supervisor but I do evaluate the lower level technicians. I'm also a trainer as well. None of these duties were a part of the position when I applied. They were added by the previous lead. In addition, as a mid-level technician, me and my peers now get tasked to ensure we have shift coverage for the lower level technicians as well as cover for the site lead. This section has never had full manning because the turn over rate is so high. This month, we are down 6 out of 14 people. I'm burned out because my schedule is changed almost everyday to cover for vacancies. It takes HR about 2 months to fill a position at a minimum. The it takes (invariably me) another month to train the new hire. HR is under no hurry to fill vacancies because it doesn't affect them directly. Meanwhile everyone in the work center bears the brunt.

The previous site lead left in the second week of May. He gave HR 3 months of notice. They hired a new site lead 2 DAYS before his last day. The new site lead used to work in this section but left to work in another section before applying for the site lead position. He is vaguely familiar with the mission but has been out of the loop for almost 2 years. Needless to say, he's lost in the sauce. He has also taken PTO 3 times since becoming site lead wherein I have had to cover down for his position. He just approached me this morning to let me know he is taking vacation for the next 5 days. A vacation he had planned before he became site lead. I was supposed to be off tomorrow but now I have to be here and then I'm on-call over the weekend and Monday. Gee thanks for dropping this on me at the last minute. Its not like he knew about this MONTHS in advance. I'm so berking done with this place.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/1/23 11:01 a.m.

Would it work to just tell the higher ups, "No, I am not able to fill in shifts without advanced notice."

You're responsible for doing the work of one employee. All of your coworkers are the same. If there are not enough employees to handle the workload... that is on higher ups to figure out the solution.

I mean... what are they going to do? Fire you and have even *fewer* people?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/1/23 11:15 a.m.

If E36 M3 still gets done when things are broken, management will not fix the problem because to them it is not broken if E36 M3 is still getting done.

My wife worked in the corporate world and it took her a while to figure that out.  Like, a decade.  Sometimes a few plates have to get dropped before management will acknowledge that keeping them all spinning under the current conditions is not sustainable.

She also worked in a place that sounds a lot like your employer, with a lot of management turnover, even at high levels.  It makes for chaos and difficulty.  If you think you can find a new job that won't dent your lifestyle too badly, I would make the jump.  Because places like that rarely change.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/1/23 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yup. My wife occasionally has to remind herself some words of wisdom passed down by a previous manager: "Sometimes you just have to let things break."

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
6/1/23 4:30 p.m.

Why are drill bits these days such hot garbage?  Bought a $17 1/2" bit that couldn't even drill 2 holes through 1/8" mild steel before crapping out...

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/1/23 4:35 p.m.

Sumbitch.

Just broke a front tooth

Old people problems.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/2/23 9:55 a.m.

After the Challenge, my daughter is interested in doing some Rallycross and Autocross.  I thought that perhaps it would be worth seeing what it would cost to get her an SCCA membership.  But the Secret Car Club of America strikes again and violates rule number 1:  "Never make it hard for customers to give you money".

I have searched, and clicked, and looked.  But nowhere on their website can I find a simple table of "Here's how much different types of membership cost".  I seem to recall that they have a family plan as well as a young people's discount.  But I guess the only way to get to that is to go through the process of doing everything right up to the point of putting in your credit card number.  That's just nuts:  A simple table.  Here's how much it costs. 

To their credit, though, I emailed their member services address right before writing this rant and got a response back already, so at least they're fast about that....

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/2/23 10:10 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Yeah, the SCCA website seems to never produce the info I want about that kind of thing.  Fortunately, like you've discovered, I've found that calling them works great.  They are very knowledgeable and helpful once you're interacting with a person.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/2/23 10:44 a.m.

You know that look a dog gets on their face when they actually catch the car tire they've been chasing?  That's me right now.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
6/2/23 1:39 p.m.

I can sum up my life right now in one sentence. You can't reason with unreasonable people. berkeley!

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
6/2/23 6:45 p.m.

Me: we need more headroom because the garage door track is going hit the bottom of the second floor framing. 

Me: Also the stair won't work because it will physically run into the garage door track. 

Designer's reply: We can use this neat screw drive system.

Me: Yes, well, that solves neither of the issues. However, it's Friday and I no longer give a berkeley.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/23 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Most architects/designers haven't built a house.

And it shows.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
6/2/23 7:16 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Me (designer): Where are we supposed to put these floor boxes?

Boss (engineer): Put them on the grid lines. Architect wants maximum future flexibility, so lay them out in a grid.

Arch: Hey, this doesn't look very good. Can you put those floor boxes right below my furniture partitions? We really want flexibility...

Boss: You are literally making this as inflexible as possible.

Arch: Yes, this is what we want. Also, we have agreed to continue pushing every interior wall around and rearranging the furniture every week from here to eternity, thus invalidating your work. By the way, are you done yet?

Me: <opens beer> Knock yourself out, hoss. I'm paid by the hour...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/2/23 8:00 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Shadeux :

Most architects/designers haven't built a house.

And it shows.

There's no excuse for not being able to think in 3D, even if you don't know exactly how things get put together.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kHkEi5HujA5LYfTh7mYqxBUD5pbf70cTET4PcsDeooRePrUoPBRiygjjxsHUTqla