Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/2/23 8:03 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

The second part could easily be the client's fault. It's astonishing how many times they will tell you something is OK without having actually paid attention to it until it is very late in the game.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/23 8:26 p.m.
Duke said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to Shadeux :

Most architects/designers haven't built a house.

And it shows.

There's no excuse for not being able to think in 3D, even if you don't know exactly how things get put together.

Especially if you want to be taken seriously by the people building it. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
6/2/23 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

It's primarily the (architect's) client's fault, and it comes with the territory. The owner (arch's client) is a municipality with an agenda that is more idealistic than realistic, so there are inherently a hell of a lot of voices in the room. And it's a progressive design-build project so we're involved a lot sooner than we'd normally be. It is all par for the course. The architectural firm is actually one of our favorites to work with. The rant is just that this is a particularly awkward and unpleasant way to take on an enormous project. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/2/23 11:37 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Dude.  I've designed 40,000 sq ft buildings where each and every corner and opening was on an even brick module.  And you bet the brickies noticed.

I'm currently working on a 66,000 sq ft building and if I can help it every orthogonal wall and masonry opening will be on block coursing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/3/23 9:29 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Unfortunately, I've experienced:

Arch: This needs to go here, here, and here. Attached with this, this, and this.

Me: I can't do that.

Arch: But why?

Me: I can't get a hand in there, let alone a hammer/drill/rivet. If you put this, this way, and that, there, I can do it your way.

Arch: ...But, this needs to go here, here, and here. And that...

Me:

Hacks in any profession...are hacks.

I am not arguing with you. Good designers make good designs, which make everyone's life easier. Hacks/ primadonnas make everyone's life hell.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/3/23 9:41 a.m.

That stuff is HARD.

At least, when you are trying to put together a car in such a way that it can be easily worked on, meaning minimal number of fasteners and brackets and they are all easily accessible.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/3/23 9:43 a.m.

The Hilton im at: rooms are OLD. no continental breakfast, limited parking, no vending machines, ac barely adequate. Walls paper thin, and a couple through the wall arguing all night. 

The best western at the challenge was far, far better. And far cheaper. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/3/23 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

With very, very few exceptions, the best hotel is always the newest. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/3/23 11:43 a.m.

See that black smudge mark on the top of my fishhook hat? Yeah. That's where I walked into the garage door at full trot. It decided to only open 90% of the way and my lack of situational awareness resulted in me being taken off my feet. I'm fine save for a bump on the head and a slightly sore neck. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/3/23 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Cool hat

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/3/23 12:36 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Dude.  I've designed 40,000 sq ft buildings where each and every corner and opening was on an even brick module.  And you bet the brickies noticed.

I'm currently working on a 66,000 sq ft building and if I can help it every orthogonal wall and masonry opening will be on block coursing.

As someone who does the occasional masonry, you are awesome!

j_tso
j_tso Dork
6/3/23 1:34 p.m.

Spent all morning trying to get American Grease Stick's pre-assembled brake lines to not leak on an axle swap.

Tightened them more than I normally would and removed a couple of times to clean in case there was debris, nope.

Ended up grabbing the lines off the old axle. I bent them a decade ago and they look awful but if they don't leak then I don't care any more.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
6/4/23 12:02 a.m.

General Motors (Delco) electrical systems. angry
One issue after another.
Gas gauge works, then does not, intermittently.
Turn signals work, then flash both sides, dash light were fine, now dead, HEI had to be replaced with MSD after three in a row were bad. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/4/23 6:15 a.m.
mtn said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

With very, very few exceptions, the best hotel is always the newest. 

I live in hotels four nights a week and I don't go by brand or price. Which is newest. That's what I go for.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/4/23 9:11 a.m.

I slapped my snooze alarm this AM to get a few more minutes, and I'm pretty sure in doing that is why I now have one of those headaches were you feel strain in your eyes and puffiness around them.

Also, to hell with chiggers. I was up at 4AM pressing blocks of ice onto my ankles and feet so I could get back to sleep.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/4/23 3:21 p.m.

Premium gas costs a full $1 more than Regular. WTF?!?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/4/23 3:37 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

At some stations here it is $2 more.  Like $3.79/4.79/5.79 for 87/89/92.

I avoid those.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/5/23 1:08 p.m.

Needed a new brake controller, and don't have time to order one before leaving on a trip.  The only shop in town that had the one I wanted was our local RV dealer...  $100 over MSRP, which is already $50-60 over the going rate online.  berkeley right the hell off.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
6/5/23 1:20 p.m.

Let me get this straight. You're complaining because the project manager is trying to lighten your workload? 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/5/23 1:25 p.m.

I hate poison ivy. Last week I realized a few spots on my arm weren't bug bites but poison ivy, so have been dealing with several spots on my left arm, wrist, and (annoyingly) right under where my wedding ring usually is (as soon as I realized that it was under the ring I took it off and have had it clipped onto the EDC block I carry all the time). Thankfully antihistamines and drying lotion work well to keep it from bothering me too much. More annoying to me was having to bundle up heavily on a 90-degree day and go over the yard twice to try and pull up all of it that I could find- including a massive amount on the wall of the garage that essentially never gets seen. And then having to do the same before starting work this morning because I'd seen more that I had missed or had popped up over the weekend and didn't want The Bat running through it and it getting on us. I wish there were a way to nuke it without taking out everything else at the same time- not that I care too much about the other stuff in the yard either...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/5/23 2:56 p.m.

I  tend to stay on top of expenses pretty well, but today got my bank statement and noticed there was no mortgage payment made last month.  Usually I pay in the first week on each month, but apparently it skipped my mind, and I never noticed it hadn't been taken care of.  Ran out to make the payment, and I was inside the grace period, but still rattled that I missed handling it in the first place.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/5/23 3:26 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I had an oh fudge moment last week like that.  Credit card and Paypal bills are both due on the 3rd.  I normally pay $100 on Paypal credit (milking that 6 months same as cash, here) and a lot on credit card.  Got e-mail from credit card confirming my $100 payment.  On the 29th.  

My worry was that I accidentally sent $100 to the CC company on a $5000 balance and $1800 to Paypal on a $500 balance...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/5/23 5:28 p.m.

Where do all the taco trucks go at dinnertime? Ain't one to be found....

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/5/23 5:40 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Where do all the taco trucks go at dinnertime? Ain't one to be found....

I'm lucky.  There's one parked pretty much permanently at the gas station nearest to me.  The only rant I have with it is I've been getting tacos from there for a few years now, and in just the last couple of weeks, I tried their BBQ pulled pork and chorizo sandwich.  I should have been ordering that all this time.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
6/5/23 6:14 p.m.

Internet service providers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SmrjK4jFqGU7bmZoVbF9sqbf6uatmEXvZiMzWpJHsShopt9e7jO1UoYMTbciDqUo