1 2 3 4
skierd
skierd Dork
8/27/11 8:53 p.m.

I work in a liquor store. If you are going to buy booze for your underage friend, don't bring them in with you. If you do, don't get pissy when I card both of you. Every freaking day...

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
8/27/11 9:23 p.m.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

lewbud
lewbud Reader
8/27/11 11:57 p.m.

My rant of the day involves people that don't enter the freeway at the speed that traffic is moving at or understand what the Yield sign is for. Speed limit is 60, traffic flow is +5 to +10 over don't merge into oncoming traffic at 45 mph, you will eventually be hurt severely. Second, yield means you wait until the oncoming traffic has passed you, then you move into the traffic stream. Yield does not mean you accelerate so that the traffic stream is blocked from the cloverleaf and then slow down when they do so to duck in behind you to make the cloverleaf blocking them again. Some people are alive only because they ain't worth the jail time.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
8/28/11 9:52 a.m.

I hate being behind someone as I an getting on the freeway. More often than not, there is a 1/2 mile long ramp. They will do 40 mph until the solid white line on the left goes away (they are no on the e-way, NOT the ramp), THEN AND ONLY THEN do they start to get on the throttle.
My god man! Even in an underpowered diesel I can be up to within 5 mph of traffic before the ramp ends, usually I can be doing 5 over by then.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
8/28/11 11:50 a.m.

I agree on all rants, except I do say twenty eleven. Actually, I don't say it, because I never have to talk about what year it is, but if I did, I would say twenty eleven, or perhaps just "eleven".

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/28/11 12:48 p.m.

While I disagree with Angry's rant on Baby Boomers ruining his life, I do see the point, but it's impolite to hijack.

My bit of rant:

Bought my house in 1978, older couple lived next door with one 14 year old adopted son. "Mom, I need $10." OK, mow the lawn I'll give you $10. "Gimme $10, I'll mow it later". He never does, never gets pressed, never learns the whole work ethic concept. He now has 9 children by an assorment of female recepticles but only legally responsible for two of them. Been in jail for being a crack head & dealer, lives off our taxes.

That's the Rant. This perfectly heathy 45 year old guy is taking money from Social Security and every other freebie agency out there. He's got a nicer car than me! His new wife claims to have multiple sclerosis (sp) ding - ding, $7000 up front and a free cell phone with one year service. WTF?

When he gets together with friends they don't talk about cars, politics or hobbies; they pass along any tidbits of information that can help the next guy get another free handout, which Doctors are sympathetic to their cause, etc.

Part of my rant is that he's not the only one. The Boomers may be taking from the system but this guy and his ilk take unjustifiable and have never put in.

Why do I bother going to work?

Dan

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
8/28/11 7:17 p.m.
moxnix wrote: Printers - There is a reason I switched to a black and white laser printer for home use years ago.

Excellent idea. I never print color from home--I think my printer has been out of color ink for a few years. I have probably printed 50 pages of black and white since the black and white cartridge "ran out."

Next time I need to replace a cartridge, I may just buy this.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
8/29/11 9:00 a.m.

If you need to evacuate sick/elderly people from your facility before a storm have some kind of realistic plan BEFORE you call and ask for buses. Just because you see a lot of them riding around doesn't mean you should tie up a dozen of them for a day while you figure out where to take four old women.

cardiacdog
cardiacdog Reader
8/29/11 9:18 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

I see this every single day. People just want to job the system. The don't want to get a job types but want someone to pay for all their habits, it drives me insane. I think there is a large contingent of men in this area whose sole goal in life is to get on disability, buy a bass boat and have their wife, who is an RN, work her butt off so they can fish every day, smoke a couple packs and drink beer.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
8/29/11 8:46 p.m.
skierd wrote: I work in a liquor store. If you are going to buy booze for your underage friend, don't bring them in with you. If you do, don't get pissy when I card both of you. Every freaking day...

i never knew kids were that dumb these days lol. how hard is it to wait in the car?

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
8/29/11 8:51 p.m.

oh yes, i hate the new traffic light they pt by my house. they tore down an old bridge and put up a new one, so now the 4 way intersection is a little cockeyed )the straight lane coming from my house goes like this // \ and even though i am either making a right turn or going straight and i have the right of way they floor it so they make the green light and ignore the people coming out from my road. my wife and i personally have almost gotten in about 10-15 accidents. one of these time some idiot will hit me and i will go off on them and cuss them out until they cry. sorry for the book

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
8/29/11 8:54 p.m.

Lots of good rants, and perhaps mine is covered elsewhere here, but here goes:

Just saw on Yahoo News that some U.S. Congresspersons feel that they are not being paid enough ....and need a raise. Aside from the fact they just brought the government to the edge of a cliff over TOO MUCH government spending (apparently, their salaries don't count into the cost of government?) if they feel they aren't being paid enough...they should join the other millions of un-employed who are trying to get by on A LOT LESS than a base salary of $175K.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/29/11 10:09 p.m.

Misguided animal lovers... and no, not your pet

Local PD shot and killed a 350 pound black bear in the city after repeated attempts to divert the bear away from a downtown Italian Festival w/ thousands of attendees Sunday afternoon. PD speculated the aroma of food lured the bear into town as they can smell food well over ten miles away. The bear came within a few hundred yards of the festival and when diverted away always double-backed towards the festival.

Once the news was released, the majority of comments on News station FB pages was against the PD action. Trigger happy cops, cops should lose their jobs, animal haters, animals have rights too, Yogi killer, why didn't they tranquilize it?, should have called a vet they would know what to do, trap it, lure it away with food, if they had put a trap there a month ago this would never happen, my kids won't sleep tonight, someone actually brought race into it, blah blah blah

It's disillusioning to me some folks actually value a rascal bear over public safety.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
8/30/11 4:17 a.m.

When the hell did front wheel drive family sedans start getting 260-300 hp?

I was placed in charge of driving my folks' Taurus this weekend, and about gave my grandmother a heart attack when I used Probe amounts of throttle on an '08 Taurus!

0-60 feels like 6 seconds, we easily were doing the speed limit about halfway down an on-ramp, and this thing shifts smooth at WOT.

Non-rant, 6-speed automatic transmissions are cool. Even booting it down the on-ramps and accelerating a bit harder than I needed to...well...nearly everywhere, this big ass car still returned nearly 30 mpg at the pump.

For a daily, I'm kinda tempted.

Will
Will HalfDork
8/30/11 6:05 a.m.

Dear Reynolds Wrap,

Berkeley you and your foil-staying-inside-the-box retention system. If you can design non-stick aluminum foil, surely you can design a box that doesn't let the foil come out of said box and go rolling 10 feet across my kitchen floor.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/30/11 6:17 a.m.
914Driver wrote: While I disagree with Angry's rant on Baby Boomers ruining his life, I do see the point, but it's impolite to hijack. My bit of rant: Bought my house in 1978, older couple lived next door with one 14 year old adopted son. "Mom, I need $10." OK, mow the lawn I'll give you $10. "Gimme $10, I'll mow it later". He never does, never gets pressed, never learns the whole work ethic concept. He now has 9 children by an assorment of female recepticles but only legally responsible for two of them. Been in jail for being a crack head & dealer, lives off our taxes. That's the Rant. This perfectly heathy 45 year old guy is taking money from Social Security and every other freebie agency out there. He's got a nicer car than me! His new wife claims to have multiple sclerosis (sp) ding - ding, $7000 up front and a free cell phone with one year service. WTF? When he gets together with friends they don't talk about cars, politics or hobbies; they pass along any tidbits of information that can help the next guy get another free handout, which Doctors are sympathetic to their cause, etc. Part of my rant is that he's not the only one. The Boomers may be taking from the system but this guy and his ilk take unjustifiable and have never put in. Why do I bother going to work? Dan

These are the same people that bitch and moan about the proposed bill of making them take a piss test for their "benefits."

berkeley those guys, if i have to take a piss test to GET A JOB, then you're taking a piss test, hair follicle test, breathalyzer, dna test, ALL THE TESTS to get your FREE HANDOUT.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/30/11 6:19 a.m.
Will wrote: Dear Reynolds Wrap, Berkeley you and your foil-staying-inside-the-box retention system. If you can design non-stick aluminum foil, surely you can design a box that doesn't let the foil come out of said box and go rolling 10 feet across my kitchen floor.

The foil doesn't bug me near as much as cling-wrap. That stuff is the bane of my existence. I don't even know why i buy it, since i'm utterly incapable of getting any piece out of the box that remotely resembles a square or rectangle.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/30/11 7:28 a.m.

This one's for you Halftrac:

http://revolutionarypolitics.tv/video/viewVideo.php?video_id=15915

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
8/30/11 7:36 a.m.
skierd wrote: I work in a liquor store. If you are going to buy booze for your underage friend, don't bring them in with you. If you do, don't get pissy when I card both of you. Every freaking day...

they have the wrong approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTZtjcKB3Uc

akamcfly
akamcfly Reader
8/30/11 7:43 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: Next time I need to replace a cartridge, I may just buy this.

I just bought one of these . I only print 2 or 3 pages a month for expense reports. when the toner runs out, I'll buy another printer.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
8/30/11 7:49 a.m.

BTW, and ellipsis is three dots exactly...you cannot arbitrarily use four or five or whatever you want. That bugs me.

Im sure we all agree about turn signals. I want to know what your intentions are, and it is a common courtesy to other drivers to use them. I am actually surprised when I see someone use them. Perhaps if there was a turn signal app for your smartphone?

My rant lately is coming to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Excuse me, this is an active lane of traffic! You cannot simply come to a full stop and sit there while you:

1) look at your directions 2) enjoy the view 3) talk to your departing passenger 4) pick up a passenger 5) look around aimlessly 6) adjust something on your dash 7) fix your bike tire

All of these things have happened in the last 2 weeks, and in each case, there was no legal way around the person

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
8/30/11 8:59 a.m.

Ok so my rant for the day is about the government. So at where I work we use a grease which is non-flammable even in 100% oxygen. This grease is on the flame path (basically if there is an explosion in the electronics box due to coal dust and gases getting into the housing, the flame path is designed so that the flames will die out before they get to the outside environment) and they have been using it for years. MSHA has approved it on our drawings for years as well and suddenly changed their minds and decided we couldn't use that grease. The list of approved greases that was given to us included Petroleum jelly. REALLY. Petroleum jelly is approved for use on a flame path.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
8/30/11 9:04 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: BTW, and ellipsis is three dots exactly...you cannot arbitrarily use four or five or whatever you want. That bugs me.

Except, of course, if it falls at the end of a sentence....

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/30/11 9:25 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: BTW, and ellipsis is three dots exactly...you cannot arbitrarily use four or five or whatever you want. That bugs me.

But when following the excessive use of etc. you get 4 dots because the etc is an abbrv....

kpm
kpm Reader
8/30/11 10:18 a.m.

Power was out all weekend so I pull out the generator, clean the plug, unstick the float, undo the faulty low oil sensor, break the on-off switch (in the on position) fire it up and it runs like a champ !

The rant last night it needs gas, so I go out, have to find a station that has power, get 5 gallons, go home to find it has run out, fill it up, and as I screw the gas cap on, the power comes back on. Now I have to drain that 5 gallons back out...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YqztSaiT30XRHVvv0yYBr9m8YNsee9VT9zDjg9jQx8nDgiMaolVUbr0v0AfUZTzG