3 4 5 6 7
93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/14/11 9:38 p.m.

Ok my rant of the day.

New cars and the fact you can't open the window and set you arm on the top of the door. It is seriously the most annoying thing ever. I won't buy any stupid car that I can't do that in. It makes me want to go kick baby seals. Go take your stupid safety regs and shove them up your ass.

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
9/14/11 9:44 p.m.

^ +1 i get furious about that

also I got to college and working during the year, problem is I gotta drive to work between classes so trying to drive through campus while hundreds and thousands of students are simultaneously getting out of class is the worst thing ever. I have to wait at a cross walk for up to 5 minutes. also people who just walk in the middle of the street expecting me to stop for them . and you cant just walk into the cross walk when I am 15feet away from it.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/14/11 11:21 p.m.

So I'm at the Illinois DMV (a hellish place if there ever was one,) about to transfer a title. I bring cash as I know they knock you for $25 if you use plastic.

Fine, except theres's a $25 tax on buying a used vehicle. Fine, as well, if they accepted CASH for the tax. They don't. Check or money order.

I asked the lady behind the counter if this didn't strike her as odd. You only accept cash or check for one thing and check or money order for another, yet I need them both to be legal. It, apparently, seemed completely normal to her.

aggravator
aggravator New Reader
9/14/11 11:29 p.m.

Push to start Ign on newer cars! really, who wants this crap? its terrible, i hate it!

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
9/15/11 12:18 a.m.

Rant o' the day:

It seems in the last 5 years or so, people in my neck of the woods have forgotten nearly everything they know about driving in the rain.

I remember being 16 and only stopping for the heaviest of downpours, and nearly everyone could maintain the speed limit in the wet.

Nowadays, a moderate rain gets people doing about 20 under on the interstate with their four-ways on. About the only place where people are bold in the rain is when they pull out into traffic.

The other night, I'm driving around back up the interstate with the girlfriend during a steady rain, and we are passing cars at a fairly suspicious rate. SWMBO notices this about the same time I do, and asked how fast I was going.

65 in a 70, while most traffic is doing about 45 or 50.

Either get used to driving in the rain, or stay home like you do when it snows you ignorant clods!

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
9/15/11 5:11 p.m.

maybe they're all from Texas and aren't haven't seen rain is such a long time they've forgotten how to drive in it....

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
9/16/11 2:49 a.m.

Dear lady at work,

I know you secretly yearn for me or my car, but can you please park more than 12 inches away from it?

It's bad enough I always try to park where no one else parks and always have the same car end up beside me, but recently she keeps edging over the line and parking just so its next to impossible to get into the car.

I had to do the whole "enclosed trailer style" entry into the car today, and that's not incredibly graceful under the best conditions, never mind when it's pouring down raining.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/16/11 6:08 a.m.

Dear garbage men. The goal of your job is to remove the refuse from the end of my driveway and place it in your truck. I pay your employer a princely sum approaching extortion for the service you provide. Could you please place my garbage cans back where you berkeleying found them and not try to smash them to bits on the ground at every visit? Tell ya what... If you can meet me half-way... and just set them down gently somewhere near my driveway... I'll stop smearing the handles with dog crap.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
9/16/11 6:26 a.m.
Racer1ab wrote: Rant o' the day: It seems in the last 5 years or so, people in my neck of the woods have forgotten nearly everything they know about driving in the rain. I remember being 16 and only stopping for the heaviest of downpours, and nearly everyone could maintain the speed limit in the wet. Nowadays, a moderate rain gets people doing about 20 under on the interstate with their four-ways on. About the only place where people are bold in the rain is when they pull out into traffic. The other night, I'm driving around back up the interstate with the girlfriend during a steady rain, and we are passing cars at a fairly suspicious rate. SWMBO notices this about the same time I do, and asked how fast I was going. 65 in a 70, while most traffic is doing about 45 or 50. Either get used to driving in the rain, or stay home like you do when it snows you ignorant clods!

Yeah, right! Everyone's an idiot except you. Sounds like you were driving too fast for conditions. It's called "hydroplaning". You should learn about it. Some of the people you passed likely had children in their vehicles and actually wanted to get where they were going ALIVE. Moron.

How's that for a rant?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/16/11 7:34 a.m.

Dear Lady at Work,

I enjoy women. I think about them, I enjoy witty conversation and verbal fencing. Women have a certain something that men just don't. I especially like the way they smell. The scent of a woman should only be noticed when they leave. As she turns around and heads off you should get just a whiff of Lily of the Valley or Shalimar. Sometimes, right out of the blue in the middle of typing something stupid, it hits me like a bolt of lightning; Hmmm, what was that scent?

You however were never schooled in the sweet science of beguile. You pickle yourself every morning with a gallon of Avon Something Awful. I know when you're here because I smell your foul malodor as soon as I hit the bottom of the stairs. Your funk permeates the entire floor! By 9:00 I'm getting nauseous and have to go for a walk. I have spoken discreetly with my leader and am told that the only thing more annoying and unprofessional than your smell is the response one would get from your prickly personality when counseled.

Please tone it down.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
9/16/11 7:37 a.m.

You are not as important as you think you are. If you see the bus is about to leave, and you stop to light up, pick up a coin, buy a hot dog ect it is leaving you there. Don't get upset that I didn't hold the bus for you. Instead be glad you now have ten minutes to enjoy that smooth Lucky Strike flavor.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
9/16/11 8:13 a.m.
914Driver wrote: As she turns around and heads off you should get just a whiff of Lily of the Valley or Shalimar. Sometimes, right out of the blue in the middle of typing something stupid, it hits me like a bolt of lightning; Hmmm, what was that scent?

so is it the cocoa butter, the jeri curl, or the menthol that does it for you, dan?

Morbid
Morbid Reader
9/16/11 8:20 a.m.

Dear whoever reversed the fuel petcock on my motorcycle, you berklying suck. I should not have had to pull the fuel line to find the proper 'off' position so I wouldn't keep losing tanks of fuel to the ground. You also cost me an air filter and likely the ride I had planned for my birthday, you jerk.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
9/16/11 8:21 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
Racer1ab wrote: Rant o' the day: It seems in the last 5 years or so, people in my neck of the woods have forgotten nearly everything they know about driving in the rain. I remember being 16 and only stopping for the heaviest of downpours, and nearly everyone could maintain the speed limit in the wet. Nowadays, a moderate rain gets people doing about 20 under on the interstate with their four-ways on. About the only place where people are bold in the rain is when they pull out into traffic. The other night, I'm driving around back up the interstate with the girlfriend during a steady rain, and we are passing cars at a fairly suspicious rate. SWMBO notices this about the same time I do, and asked how fast I was going. 65 in a 70, while most traffic is doing about 45 or 50. Either get used to driving in the rain, or stay home like you do when it snows you ignorant clods!
Yeah, right! Everyone's an idiot except you. Sounds like you were driving too fast for conditions. It's called "hydroplaning". You should learn about it. Some of the people you passed likely had children in their vehicles and actually wanted to get where they were going ALIVE. Moron. How's that for a rant?

I keep my vehicle maintained, and that includes wearing appropriate tires with proper tread depth for conditions. I don't see anything dangerous about driving near the speed limit in the rain as long as we're not talking about hurricane style downpours. Ever been on course during an autocross or track day in the rain? I have. It's fun, everyone should try it sometime. It's a great place to learn about car control.

I know plenty about hydroplaning, why don't you keep your car in decent shape and you won't have a problem with it either. Or else grow a pair, Bob Costas.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/16/11 8:36 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Dear Lady at Work, I enjoy women. I think about them, I enjoy witty conversation and verbal fencing. Women have a certain something that men just don't. I especially like the way they smell. The scent of a woman should only be noticed when they leave. As she turns around and heads off you should get just a whiff of Lily of the Valley or Shalimar. Sometimes, right out of the blue in the middle of typing something stupid, it hits me like a bolt of lightning; Hmmm, what was that scent? You however were never schooled in the sweet science of beguile. You pickle yourself every morning with a gallon of Avon Something Awful. I know when you're here because I smell your foul malodor as soon as I hit the bottom of the stairs. Your funk permeates the entire floor! By 9:00 I'm getting nauseous and have to go for a walk. I have spoken discreetly with my leader and am told that the only thing more annoying and unprofessional than your smell is the response one would get from your prickly personality when counseled. Please tone it down.

Sounds like time to resort to an Axe bomb.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/16/11 9:13 a.m.

Dear Scientist, You went to school for a long time. Why the berkeley are you so dumb? I asked you to pull over and get out of your car. You drove a block away and sat in your car like the dumbass you are. Then I gave you more directions. Maybe I should give you a map. its two simple turns. Left, then right. How did you berkeley it up. I'm very descriptive. I give landmarks even though you are going one block. Maybe you should get yourself a good GPS. One that knows places.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/16/11 9:22 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: so is it the cocoa butter, the jeri curl, or the menthol that does it for you, dan?

Problem?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
9/16/11 9:55 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: so is it the cocoa butter, the jeri curl, or the menthol that does it for you, dan?
Problem?

no problem at all, i just didn't have you pegged as a Shalamar fan. for me, it's the menthol.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
9/16/11 10:04 a.m.
Racer1ab wrote: I know plenty about hydroplaning, why don't you keep your car in decent shape and you won't have a problem with it either. Or else grow a pair, Bob Costas.

I have experienced hydroplaning firsthand on an interstate highway in a moderate rain in a FWD sedan with tires with about 50% of tread left. My speed was just north of 60 mph. I detected the loss of traction and did the sensible thing, which was of course to reduce my speed. My vehicle was impeccably maintained and I am a well-experienced driver with a clean driving record and nice low insurance premiums as a benefit. I do not replace my tires if they have decent tread and are in good condition. Neither, I suspect, do a majority of drivers.

I think it's pretty immature to lambaste drivers who happen to be driving slower than you in the rain. It may be that they are simply being aware of their capabilities and that of their vehicles.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/16/11 10:08 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
914Driver wrote:
Problem?
no problem at all, i just didn't have you pegged as a Shalamar fan. for me, it's the menthol.

Well, just don't use Icy-Hot anywhere but your shoulder.

don't ask ....

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
9/16/11 12:53 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
Racer1ab wrote: I know plenty about hydroplaning, why don't you keep your car in decent shape and you won't have a problem with it either. Or else grow a pair, Bob Costas.
I have experienced hydroplaning firsthand on an interstate highway in a moderate rain in a FWD sedan with tires with about 50% of tread left. My speed was just north of 60 mph. I detected the loss of traction and did the sensible thing, which was of course to reduce my speed. My vehicle was impeccably maintained and I am a well-experienced driver with a clean driving record and nice low insurance premiums as a benefit. I do not replace my tires if they have decent tread and are in good condition. Neither, I suspect, do a majority of drivers. I think it's pretty immature to lambaste drivers who happen to be driving slower than you in the rain. It may be that they are simply being aware of their capabilities and that of their vehicles.

So, your vehicle is impeccably maintained, yet you experience hydroplaning on a set of half-dead tires, and decide...what? Your family isn't worth shelling out a couple hundred bucks for tires?

Perhaps that's good enough for you, it's not for me. It reminds me of the folks on internet sites who put down folks like us in the Mid-Atlantic area for running snow tires during the winter. "It's an unnecessary expense, I get around fine all winter in my ThunderCougarFalconBird with bald all-seasons."

Great, except I appreciate my low insurance premiums too, as well as the safety of my passengers. A set of winter tires is still less than an deductible, but it gives me the added confidence to turn, brake, and accelerate better than most of the dedicated 4x4's out there on a snowy day. Did I mention since I run winter tires for only a few months a year, that they're good for several years?

You're right though, it's probably not relevant to the majority of drivers out there who treat their car as a toaster they'll keep around for a couple years and trade off.

I'll skip the dvd boxsets of grey's anatomy or buying a mini-fridge if it means that the ones I love will be safe riding with me. Other people prioritize differently.

I think it's pretty cavalier to put so low a price on the safety of your loved ones, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

And here's a rant for you, when did all the jerks start bringing the usual message board stuff over to GRM?

Jay
Jay SuperDork
9/21/11 10:38 a.m.

So I need a clamshell case for carrying my Yamaha synth keyboard back to Germany. Something like this:

I would call it a "keyboard case", which sounds pretty reasonable to my ears. Try searching for a "keyboard case" on Craigsjiji. Do it, I'll wait. Did you find anything useful? No, you didn't, because a million ingrates selling last year's computers feel the need to specify that it comes with a "keyboard", which is fair enough, and a "case", which is retarded. I can see that it comes with a "case", numbnuts, it's in the picture you took!

Some musicians like to call the thing they lug their synths around in a "gig case" because they take it on gigs. Try searching for that. You got all the same ingrates as last time didn't you? That's because they helpfully tell you how many "gigs" of RAM are in their "case". Is it really that hard to write GB? It's one letter less! For crying out loud...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/21/11 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Jay:

Curious, but do you still have that problem when you search specifically in the "music instr" sub-section of sales?

Seems like you would weed out all of the laptops with keyboards and cases and gigs of ram if you just stopped looking in the computer section.

Now that being said.

Google+ > Facebook. Seriously. Just shut up and move over. Yes there're less posts. You want to know why? Because you're only seeing posts that the poster thinks you might actually be interested in. THAT'S A GOOD THING.

Also, social media < friends in real life. What happened to sitting at a 24-hour diner sucking down a pot of crappy coffee?

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
9/22/11 8:13 a.m.

ROTD Automotive Service Writer style...

Since when did "Customer Service" become to mean that I have to sit here and take your E36 M3 while you act like a total and complete shiny happy person to me and my staff?

Guy comes in, asks for an oil change. I tell him I have vehicles on the lifts and when they're done his will be right in.

"I have a 10:30 appointment!"

"No problem sir, like I said, as soon as these get down, yours will come right in. I'm just letting you know it's not going to be a 20 minute ordeal, more like 30-40 mins."

"Well if you would just change the goddamn oil like I ask and not do your stupid checks and try to sell me E36 M3 I don't need then you'd be done a lot quicker."

I ignored that. Was on the verge of just handing him back his keys and telling him to have a nice day. It was another writer's ticket so I handed it over and warned her of "this guy".

Fast forward...

Remember those survey's I talked about a while back? The ones where only the top score counts as a passing grade and everything else fails us? Well we go over those with every customer. The other writer was going over it with him and she said, "You may get one of these in the mail, what we try for is completely satisfied scores across the board. If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, let us know and we'll do whatever it takes to make you completely satisfied with us and our service."

"I'm not going to give you that"

"OK, is there any reason why?"

"No one deserves that, everyone has room for improvement. I wouldn't give that score to anyone!"

"Is there nothing we can do for you to make you complete..."

"NO! I said no one would ever get that score from me. Everyone has room for improvement somewhere."

"Your car is outside"

Needless to say, we made it so he gets no survey. LOL

Why do people have to act like that? I don't come to your work and make your life hell do I?

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
9/22/11 8:31 a.m.

Another one...

How is it that if you go somewhere like an automotive service facility, you can just demand not to pay for things? We have Shop Charges. They cover little expenses like brake cleaner, washer fluid, red rags, etc. People just come in and say, I'm not paying that. What other place do you go that you can say that? Go to walmart and tell them you're not paying tax? Go to a restaurant and tell them you're not paying a tip? Drive through a toll road and say you're not paying the toll? Doesn't work that way. Also, it's called "FLAG RATE"! Just because they complete a 6 hour job in 2 hours doesn't mean you only get charged 2 hours. That is how mechanics make money, by being good and fast. I'm not taking money out of their pockets and punishing them for being good at their jobs.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pOnUqHCQxIVOxNsAV28WJpXSGgH5z9NLpXuPSd3yopW85mssPYZ8z677YzmfF0x2