dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/8/17 8:36 p.m.

Ordered something online monday, seller says it shipped wed. The usps tracking number he gave me says the product has yet to be shipped. Hes blaming the post office.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
7/8/17 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

If you'd like I'm sure a few of us could come down and set the trailer on fire. It would make me feel better anyway.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/8/17 11:00 p.m.

Disappointed that the new Geo Storm movie isn't about cars.

trailer

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/9/17 12:38 a.m.
dropstep wrote: Ordered something online monday, seller says it shipped wed. The usps tracking number he gave me says the product has yet to be shipped. Hes blaming the post office.

I just opened a package that was delivered today. USPS website still says it is awaiting the package at the post office.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/9/17 1:26 p.m.

I don't know what kinda vibe I give off, but salespeople seem to be hesitant to let me test drive a car. I don't know when it changed. When I bagged groceries, I could test drive a Camaro worth more than a year of my income. Today, salespeople want to know my life story and run my credit in advance to test drive an appliance that is worth about three months of my income. I'm not a regular "joy-rider" either; I make the rounds when I'm in the market, and maybe test drive 3-5 before I leap. I'm middle-aged, I have a decade in my job, and without getting too far into it, my finances are consistent with being a responsible adult. The car under consideration is consistent with my income. I don't dress poorly. The car I arrive in is clean and well maintained, and only 4 years old.

I had hell getting a test drive of a new V6 Camaro a few years ago when I was a week from having to drop off my Volt at lease end. I was like "dude, I have the means to complete the lease of this $40k Chevy. I will be without a car in a week. I want to try out a new Chevy." He gave me a line about not being able to test drive any sports cars because of the key recall. If I'd buy it, he could make an arrangement to deliver that day.

I'm hoping to actually pick up a real fun car, and I'm not looking forward to having to beg my way into a test drive, especially since I have a number of very different cars on my "maybe list" that I've never even sat in.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
7/9/17 3:19 p.m.

^

Maybe you don't seem like someone they can "slam" into a car for a "2 pounder".

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/9/17 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Mike: Man I must give off the opposite vibe. "I want to see this cheap used car." "How about we give you the keys to this absurd German money pit instead?" Sure, that's only 4x what I wanted to spend. SMH

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/9/17 4:47 p.m.

Wife made delicious stuffed shells for dinner, i ate too much and now i have zero motivation to move off the couch.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/9/17 7:34 p.m.

In reply to etifosi:

What does that even mean?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/17 7:37 p.m.
Mike wrote: In reply to etifosi: What does that even mean?

Mike! Mike! I speak jive.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
7/9/17 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Mike:

Slam= make buy

2 pounder = full gross profit/$2,000

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/9/17 9:31 p.m.

After years of keeping my head shaved I have decided to let it grow out. The last time I did this it was getting a little thin on top. This time it was getting a little thinner. I just got home from a twelve hour motorcycle ride, pulled my helmet off and my wife starts laughing at me. I ask why are you laughing and she says your bald. I said yeah I know and she says no you're really bald. I looked in the mirror and right down the middle of my head is completely bald, except my bangs It didn't look like this when I left this morning. I mean it wasn't a full head of hair but it wasn't completely bald.

Now where did I put those clippers...

Ashyukun
Ashyukun SuperDork
7/10/17 7:29 a.m.

Going back to having a normal workday/workweek after the show week/weekend last week and the close to a month of mostly living prep for said show is always a challenge. It's difficult going back to something that you could largely care less about other than the paycheck from something that you were quite heavily invested in emotionally but, at least in my case, directly pays nothing monetarily (though SWMBO gets a fairly good paycheck out of it).

I am glad we don't do more than 1 or 2 shows a year though- they drain us both BADLY and so many other things get neglected while we're focusing on the show... yesterday she half-jokingly asked me what I was going to do now that I didn't have to spend all my time on things for the show and I immediately rattled off a half-dozen things around the yard/house that needed to be done over a week ago...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/10/17 7:45 a.m.
Mike wrote: Disappointed that the new Geo Storm movie isn't about cars. trailer

There's a cool Silvia in the movie at least. I'm more worried that this movie could do to geoengineering what China Syndrome did to nuclear power. Hopefully it won't be taken so seriously.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun SuperDork
7/10/17 8:03 a.m.

On fairly significant rant from aforementioned show...

There is a local professional (by which I mean it's what he does, or at least did- in theory he's trying to do real estate now as a job...) photographer/videographer who last year very enthusiastically asked if he could work with us and take pictures and videos of SWMBO's non-profit's events. He has worked with- nearly as I can tell, pro-bono/for free- several of the aerial arts studios that we work with and he is undeniably skilled, so we happily agreed. He's generally worked out well and we've been happy with his work, and he's been very appreciative since unlike the other studios we actually credit him for the work he does and include his studio's logo on any media we release that uses his photos or video (the other places he works with typically don't even tag him on social media when they post his pictures to promote themselves).

By far the biggest and most important thing we need photographed and recorded on video is our annual performance, which was this last Saturday. The date has been set and everyone involved has known about it for nearly 6 months and we've been putting out promo posters and info for at least half that time. Less than two weeks before the performance, the photographer texts SWMBO and says, "There's a good chance I won't be able to make it to film the show, I have a recital I'm going to be filming that may run long too long to make it there." She texts him back and notes that we NEED to have video of the show and asks if we need to get someone else to do it, and he replies with something flippant (I don't remember the exact exchange).

So, with less than 2 weeks to go and already having a million other things to get done, we have to work out getting someone else to film the show. After checking around, we work out that fortunately our summer intern has a nice DSLR that does pretty solid video so, draft her into filming and also pick up a relatively cheap factory refurbed camcorder as a backup, spending about $250 that was not budgeted (and in the end didn't go into the show budget, I just counted it as buying it for us out of our own pockets).

There were two performances of the show, a 3pm and a 7pm. About half an hour before the 7pm show, the photographer saunters into the theater and starts setting up his video gear. When I let SWMBO know about this, she told me to tell him he can take still photos but not video- when I inform him of this, he says- almost verbatim, "Stills would look like crap so I only brought my video equipment, even if you guys don't want to use it I'm going to film it for my own uses."

Quite frankly, SWMBO and I would have liked nothing better than to tell him to GTFO and happily have resorted to physically having him thrown out if he refused, but with the audience already mostly seated decided that it wasn't worth the potential for causing a huge scene. When we got up from sleeping nearly 12 hours after the show, we found that he had put together a 'highlight reel' of the show and posted it to YouTube.

First off, there's no denying that the footage he took looks good- he has some serious video equipment and the knowledge of how to use it very effectively. Also, from the standpoint of someone who is a fairly skilled amateur video editor, it was well edited and highlighted a lot of the more visually impressive parts of the show. However, as SWMBO noted the aerial/circus artists were featured far more prominently in the video proportional to their parts in the show vs. the actual dancers. He also used NONE of the original music that was composed for the show and only used the commercial songs that were in the show- meaning there's a good chance his video will be flagged for copyright problems.

Now we have to decide how we deal with the remaining problem: originally the plan had been for him to record the show and produce and sell DVDs of it, which would be how he would make some money off of his work with us. However, since he left us up in the air and very well could simply have not shown up at all, we had to make our own arrangements and spend our own money on it and SWMBO does NOT want him selling DVDs. But, as I had to point out, a) if we take that tact there's little doubt he'd not want to do anything with us again and b) if he said, "Berk off, I shot the footage so I can do whatever I want with it," while we doubtless have a legal case to try and prevent him from being able to sell it, the legal costs of trying to do so would likely be high and between the cost and likely bad publicity not be worth the effort.

In short- This is why I like cars, they can be a pain in the ass but at least they're far more reasonable to deal with than people.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/10/17 8:27 a.m.

Got my Honda airbag recall done over the weekend. So far, I've found broken steering wheel trim and a Torx screw in the driver footwell.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
7/10/17 12:47 p.m.

I'm changing the unofficial maintenance motto from "teamwork making the dream work" to "E36 M3-show from the get-go".

What a berkeleying clusterberkeley.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
7/10/17 1:35 p.m.

I've never worked at another place where seniority didn't determine priority for vacation. This winter I tried to take 3 days off and got denied because a lube tech who had been there for a year had those days off, despite me being there for 5 years. Today my boss started roughing me up because I need a week off for my annual trip to TN and another guy who hasn't been here a year yet has requested that week off so he can go to Sturgis. And it's not like I'm specialized in anything that overlaps with him. He's the transmission and diesel and Corvette tech. I'm just a tech.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
7/10/17 6:51 p.m.
Burrito wrote: I'm changing the unofficial maintenance motto from "teamwork making the dream work" to "E36 M3-show from the get-go". What a berkeleying clusterberkeley.

I'm sending that along with our next sign order. It so belongs on a banner in the office.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
7/10/17 6:53 p.m.
NickD wrote: I've never worked at another place where seniority didn't determine priority for vacation. This winter I tried to take 3 days off and got denied because a lube tech who had been there for a year had those days off, despite me being there for 5 years. Today my boss started roughing me up because I need a week off for my annual trip to TN and another guy who hasn't been here a year yet has requested that week off so he can go to Sturgis. And it's not like I'm specialized in anything that overlaps with him. He's the transmission and diesel and Corvette tech. I'm just a tech.

That's how it works at most corporations. Once you're past the probationary period, its first come, first serve.

Now the AMOUNT of vacation you get is based around seniority for the most part, not that enough people take it, but that's another rant for another time.

If you put your time in before that other guy, then its on your boss to juggle things to make it all work, or Tech boy gets to delay his vacation.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/10/17 7:34 p.m.
Stefan wrote:
NickD wrote: I've never worked at another place where seniority didn't determine priority for vacation. This winter I tried to take 3 days off and got denied because a lube tech who had been there for a year had those days off, despite me being there for 5 years. Today my boss started roughing me up because I need a week off for my annual trip to TN and another guy who hasn't been here a year yet has requested that week off so he can go to Sturgis. And it's not like I'm specialized in anything that overlaps with him. He's the transmission and diesel and Corvette tech. I'm just a tech.
That's how it works at most corporations. Once you're past the probationary period, its first come, first serve. Now the AMOUNT of vacation you get is based around seniority for the most part, not that enough people take it, but that's another rant for another time. If you put your time in before that other guy, then its on your boss to juggle things to make it all work, or Tech boy gets to delay his vacation.

And that's why I put my time off request for Thanksgiving week in on the first week of January.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
7/10/17 7:40 p.m.

I missed two questions out of 50 on one of my ASEs. I'd like to know which two I missed, so that I may learn from my errors and therefore be that much better equipped as a technician, but they won't tell you.

Three more to go and I'll finally have all of my A-series certifications. Then on to L1, L2, and L3, which I'll take just for the hell of it.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/10/17 8:45 p.m.

we have a high roller party this coming weekend, my boss has been all over my ass about getting the lighting prepped and ready to go. He wanted me to put the gobos in the lekos today. Good luck with that, the main room has been filled with little white heads playing bingo from 9am till 9pm.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/10/17 11:21 p.m.

rain can stop now, I has E36 M3 to get done

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/10/17 11:51 p.m.

My dad spent a 40 year career with 3/5 companies (the fourth was a spinoff from the third and was later purchased by the fifth). I don't know how that's possible. I'm so bored with my second already. Seems that 2.5 years is all I get.

I've just started to get groundwork in place to start my own company, but that will require a couple a pieces to fall in place correctly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uE6kjHHjhRo5PgHQSBvqW2ZYqMBsA6QpFFg55wgHzwTNN7EoZFUlU0FkDbUbOYOo