eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/13/18 9:32 a.m.

It took less than a month for the car I helped acquire for a family member to end up with a title loan on it.  I’m wondering how long it’ll take for them to default, if they haven’t already.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/13/18 9:37 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
mtn said:

At the end of the day, you're much better off getting your nutrients the way God/Allah/Nature intended: From plants. If you're lazy, I'd recommend a breakfast smoothie every day. Or even three times a week. Use frozen berries, banana, water, and throw in some dark leafy's (I like arugula for the nutrients, but it tastes like E36 M3. Use spinach for least taste, or even a mix--we freeze a mix of spinach, arugula, kale, sprouts, and various lettuces). I also blend some raw oatmeal prior to making the smoothie into a powder, then throw everything in there. Makes it stick with you and increases the fiber content. It really is a solid breakfast.

How long do smoothies hold up in the fridge? I want to start having them in the morning but I know I won't ever get round to making them in the morning.

They discolor pretty quick, but I've had them in the fridge for about three days and they've been fine. Never lasted longer than that. I have it pretty well down though that it takes a total of maybe 3 minutes in the morning. 1 scoop of oatmeal in the blender, put it on high. Grab the fruit from the freezer, dump it in. Put in the veggies, often in a ziplock bag that I pre-prepared (not neccesary, saves maybe 30 seconds), peel banana and throw it in. Throw in the right amount of water, blend. Pour into cups, fill the blender up with water to make it easy to clean that night. I'd be shocked if it is ever longer than 5 minutes, and I bet that I can pull it off in less than 2 if I really wanted to. 

Note that we have a vitamix. YMMV with other blenders.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/13/18 9:44 a.m.
mtn said:
93EXCivic said:
mtn said:

At the end of the day, you're much better off getting your nutrients the way God/Allah/Nature intended: From plants. If you're lazy, I'd recommend a breakfast smoothie every day. Or even three times a week. Use frozen berries, banana, water, and throw in some dark leafy's (I like arugula for the nutrients, but it tastes like E36 M3. Use spinach for least taste, or even a mix--we freeze a mix of spinach, arugula, kale, sprouts, and various lettuces). I also blend some raw oatmeal prior to making the smoothie into a powder, then throw everything in there. Makes it stick with you and increases the fiber content. It really is a solid breakfast.

How long do smoothies hold up in the fridge? I want to start having them in the morning but I know I won't ever get round to making them in the morning.

They discolor pretty quick, but I've had them in the fridge for about three days and they've been fine. Never lasted longer than that. I have it pretty well down though that it takes a total of maybe 3 minutes in the morning. 1 scoop of oatmeal in the blender, put it on high. Grab the fruit from the freezer, dump it in. Put in the veggies, often in a ziplock bag that I pre-prepared (not neccesary, saves maybe 30 seconds), peel banana and throw it in. Throw in the right amount of water, blend. Pour into cups, fill the blender up with water to make it easy to clean that night. I'd be shocked if it is ever longer than 5 minutes, and I bet that I can pull it off in less than 2 if I really wanted to. 

You underestimate how lazy I am in the morning. But it sounds like I could make one the night before and it would be fine.

I am trying to lose some weight but also majorly cut down on sodium and up on fruits and veggies.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/13/18 9:58 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
mtn said:
93EXCivic said:
mtn said:

You underestimate how lazy I am in the morning. But it sounds like I could make one the night before and it would be fine.

I am trying to lose some weight but also majorly cut down on sodium and up on fruits and veggies.

High Blood Pressure?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/13/18 10:03 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I bet you could portion out the fruits and veggies into single serving sizes with everything already put together in zip lock backs in the freezer. Then just drop it in the blender and mix it up. As long as you have a good blender it won't mind the frozen stuff. I even freeze cubes of yogurt to mix with the stuff and turns out great. I don't eat many smoothies though; I should change that! They're delicious.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/13/18 10:04 a.m.
mtn said:

High Blood Pressure?

No it is fine. I have just been tracking my food over the last few days with the app, MyFitnessPal and I am eating too much sodium. I don't want that to become a problem. I just this is just preventative maintenance. I really don't have any health problems other then E36 M3ty knees and I would like to keep it that way. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/13/18 10:04 a.m.

EDIT: I assumed you were going to say High BP

My own anecdotal evidence--and again, with the help of an RD, I tried everything and was taking my BP manually every day--is that the only thing that helped get my BP to a normal range was going to a plant based diet. That is a gigantic step (and I did it for other reasons, specifically the cancer incidents from animal products), and if you can take it--well Bravo, good for you. 

However, to help reduce it, try arugula (like a plate of it a day), or Beets--specifically beet juice. However, beet juice is expensive (which is why I suggest the whole beats) and is deprived of many nutrients. Also, don't brush your teeth prior to or for 30 minutes after as much of the benefits will be killed--the benefits coming from the nitrites in your saliva.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/so-should-we-drink-beet-juice-or-not/

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/13/18 10:05 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
mtn said:

High Blood Pressure?

No it is fine. I have just been tracking my food over the last few days with the app, MyFitnessPal and I am eating too much sodium. I don't want that to become a problem. I just this is just preventative maintenance. I really don't have any health problems other then E36 M3ty knees and I would like to keep it that way. 

Eliminate most processed foods, especially lunch meats and the type. Read the labels of everything you eat.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
2/13/18 11:21 a.m.

I get auto-correct from 'trumps' to 'Trump's'. I am usually not talking about the president's possessions, but somehow that "Trump's" my intended usage.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/13/18 11:38 a.m.

speaking of health, we just did "biometrics" screening at work. Yes, my BP is a little elevated at 140/70. I will have to see my doc about that one. But according to their scales, I was way overweight.

at 5'11" I should be under 180. On my scale at home I hover around 185. According to the scale the tech used, I was close to 200. Yesterday, I happened to stand on the certified freight scale in the loading dock at work. With my hiking boots, work keys, personal keys, work phone, personal phone, tools, pull over, and wallet on me, I weight in at 193 on that scale. All that stuff I was NOT wearing 3 days ago when I had the biometrics done.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/13/18 12:47 p.m.

I'd cut out prossesed  foods except they are far more expensive than crap foods. I am poor and diabetic. I have to choose insulin and crap food, insulin, healthy food and hunger, or healthy food and a full stomach and skimping on insulin.

There is only one choice for me at the moment.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/13/18 3:03 p.m.
mad_machine said:

...according to their scales, I was way overweight.

On my scale at home I hover around 185. According to the scale the tech used, I was close to 200. Yesterday, I happened to stand on the certified freight scale in the loading dock at work. With my hiking boots, work keys, personal keys, work phone, personal phone, tools, pull over, and wallet on me, I weight in at 193 on that scale. All that stuff I was NOT wearing 3 days ago when I had the biometrics done.

Medical scales are always calibrated high.  I freely admit I'm well overweight, but never as much as I am as soon as I set foot in a doctor's office.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/13/18 3:20 p.m.

Minor rant? 2 more days of work before my adventure for the new truck begins. Im so excited i can't focus.  Which is very irritating. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/13/18 7:03 p.m.

Great uncle died on Sunday, funeral was today. 100 years old when he passed.

Not a rant and not really sad we were talking about all the bullE36 M3 and adventures that he got up to. Born around WWI fought in WWII. Survived two midair collisions that killed most of both crews in a B17. He got into the service by bribing a doctor as he was 4H. He was a good man you guys would have liked him.

http://obituaries.bangordailynews.com/obituary/sidney-alpert-1917-2018-1028129486/print

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Reader
2/13/18 7:30 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I'm sure I would have enjoyed knowing your great uncle. Thank you for sharing the link to his obituary. Please accept my sympathy .

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/13/18 7:32 p.m.

I'm sorry to hear that. I am glad he had an amazing life. We should all be so lucky.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/13/18 10:52 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Thanks for the well wishes. 

The entire family is very close and well between the wine and the vodka and the the metric tons of stories brought out by the former we sent him off in good fashion. 

Duke you you were a good man and thank god you were born when you were because you would be in prison if you pulled half the E36 M3 you did. 

Hug your family tonight for me please. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
2/14/18 8:02 a.m.

Last Friday the office was re-arranged due to changes in program staffing, forcing me to move back to my permanent desk on a different floor from the nice, quiet corner desk in the secure room I'd been working at. The biggest problem with this is that the area that my permanent desk is in seems to ALWAYS be too warm- the secure room conversely was always on the cold side, which is how I like it... I'm now having to fight dozing off all day long because of how warm it is at my desk. And while at the moment it's unseasonably warm outside, it's still too cool to simply dress for the warmer temps because I'd freeze when I'm outside (or go to other areas that are better temperature regulated).

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/14/18 11:51 a.m.

I can't believe there are men on the internet taking a romantic interest in Kim Jong Un's sister. Think things through, guys. That would only end two ways: You end up with the worst in-laws ever, or a psycho ex girlfriend who is used to watching her enemies executed by anti-aircraft cannon.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/14/18 11:58 a.m.

Dear god. I gotta get out of this place. Holy cow is this a bad place to work. None of the red flags I had before coming into this would have prepped me for this, which is the really annoying part. 

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
2/14/18 12:47 p.m.

Trying to sell a cheap car (Honda, no less) on CL.

Yep...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/14/18 1:08 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 said:

Trying to sell a cheap car (Honda, no less) on CL.

Yep...

If I were really mad at someone and had their cell phone number, and a lot more petty than I really am, I'd put that phone number on a Craigslist add for a $1500 Civic.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/14/18 1:42 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

I can't believe there are men on the internet taking a romantic interest in Kim Jong Un's sister. Think things through, guys. That would only end two ways: You end up with the worst in-laws ever, or a psycho ex girlfriend who is used to watching her enemies executed by anti-aircraft cannon.

She's not that pretty IMO...his wife on the other hand, ooohh my! ^_^

Of course I know that Kimmy Jr. might AA me just for saying that if he had the chance, so I'd never want to take it past ogling Internet pics.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
2/14/18 3:01 p.m.

I may have accidentally started a fight with the girlfriend on V-day.

Ah well, I've grown kinda tired of living anyway.  cheeky

Wally
Wally MegaDork
2/14/18 3:02 p.m.

berkeleyed again. I have a short turnaround getting out at 3:30 and coming back at 2:30 am so of course I have just pulled out into the worst traffic I've seen in months. Sleep is overrated.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7MBazZSkIyLMxxXSkQ4E4g5D9IeTYh31rvP8JZtOABWRTS77LMPlIK2hu5IDznSP