dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/14/18 12:30 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

You should try an aeropress. It uses ground coffee at an alarming rate (~4 tbsp per cup of coffee? or is it 8? I can't remember, dang this cold) but it's really, really good. Even cheap coffee makes great coffee with an aeropress. I love Bustelo through ours, though it's so strong I tend to make it half decaf and half regular. Still tastes great.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/14/18 2:41 p.m.

Please don't ask why I was looking at this ad, but the seller posted - and I quote - "I've got all the original paperwork from when it was new. I've even got the original title and protecto plate." Is the original protecto plate going to remove the rust, fix the non-running motor, redo the battered interior, find the grille or fix any number of other things wrong with it? Why do people offer stupid crap like that? 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
5/14/18 2:59 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Aaron's mom works the counter at Rouzerville Napa and is pretty sharp. I tend to like NAPA specifically because they generally have good counter staff.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
5/14/18 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That's pretty terrible. What happened, and what can be done about it in the next few months?
I suppose the hint of a silver lining is at least you have advance notice. But it's still terrible.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
5/14/18 3:53 p.m.
Duke said:
mtn said:
Duke said:
mtn said:
dculberson said:
mtn said:

I have some starbucks gift cards from... somewhere. Jeebers. This coffee is just atrocious. It really seems like you get the choice of overroasted E36 M3, or diabetes there. This is just bad.

Agree 100%. McDonalds of coffee. It's consistent, but consistently terrible. I wish we had a good local coffee shop within walking distance at work.

And while I recognize that I'm fairly snobby with my coffee, I drink DD and McD's without complaint. They're not good, not by any stretch, but they're also not bad. This Starbucks is just bad--and I even remembered to get the blonde roast.

And that’s why there are different roasts. Personally I hate light roasts - the darker the better. I even make my regular coffee with espresso beans. Wawa, DD, McD’s, whatever - I can’t drink that flavorless swill no matter how popular it is. In addition to being too light a roast, they never make it strong enough. 

I doubt anyone would disagree about Starbucks being overpriced, though. 

To each their own, but Starbucks dark roast is objectively bad coffee. They cannot buy high quality beans in enough quantity, so they have to buy bad coffee and overroast it to hell to get it uniform. And so it is uniformly bad. 

I've had good dark-roasted coffee. I can, and often do drink espresso straight. But Starbucks is just E36 M3, selling an image. 

If Starbucks can't buy high enough quality beans in enough quantity, then neither can Dunkin' Donuts / The Clown / Wawa / Sheetz / your local pit stop.  Certainly not to make in vats and sell at $1.49.

I'm not arguing that Starbucks coffee is good.  I view Starbucks coffee like most other people view mass market convenience store coffee - it will do in a pinch.  At least it tastes like something instead of nothing.  That's worth the 300% price difference if I'm stuck somewhere I can't make my own.

On the K-cup question, yeah, they're not my favorite though I am stuck with one at work.  If I can find French or Italian roast I'm usually OK.  I have been known to make two 6-ounce cups into my single mug, using 2 K-cups, to get decent strength.

I'm with Duke on this, much prefer Starbucks to McD's, Dunkin, or gas station coffee. Don't care if it's over roasted, at least it tastes like something. I prefer mine darker than dark.

Also, Keurigs are the kitchen appliance of Satin himself. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
5/14/18 4:02 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I'm going to be homeless in August.

That really sucks.  Sounds like a good time to make some changes.  Ever thought of moving out West? 

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
5/14/18 4:03 p.m.
dculberson said:
Dusterbd13 said:

berkeleying cat woke me up at 4:30, after being up half the night with a sick kid. Welcomeback from vacation!

Some days I just don’t understand why we put up with these animals. Ours drives me up the wall yet somehow I still open the door to let her back in. 

I stood in the middle of a parking lot in pouring rain, freezing my ass off and soaked to the bone, for nearly 12 hours at an autocross that dragged on way too long yesterday. Since SWMBO went to her sister's for dinner and I had zero desire to cook, I stopped at Sheetz and picked up a chicken sandwich. Got home, changed, and was about to eat when SWMBO got home, so I set my sandwich back down before even taking a bite and went off to tell her about my super badass racing exploits. I returned to find nothing but the wrapper and a guilty look on the dog's face. 

"You're a real berkeleying shiny happy person sometimes, you know that?" 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/14/18 4:24 p.m.
Duke said:
Appleseed said:

I'm going to be homeless in August.

These situations are why I need to stop posting in this thread or we need a "Major E36 M3 Going Down" thread as well as a "Minor Rants" thread.

I'm truly sorry to hear this.  Anything I can do to help?

Help me buy the van in Pinchvalve's post 

No, my post is a bit vague. My roomate/landlord had alluded to selling her house. In a year. This was in late November, early December of last year. She tells me today that the date is now August.  I've been looking for a home I can afford in an area that will work for SWMBO and I, but it's tight. Real tight. But I'm not too worried (yet.) I have a lot of support, and help. 

Besides, think of the money I'll be saving.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/14/18 4:26 p.m.

Where are you looking?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/14/18 6:04 p.m.

I'm in McHenry. SWMBO is in Hanover Park. We were looking for something about half way. Unfortunately, half way is Barrington, and I will live in a van before I deal with that mess. The Fox River Grove and Cary area are the best alternative. Size isn't an issue, cost is. I really cannot afford more than $120,000, which is where the tight spot comes in. 

If you know a guy who knows a guy, I will welcome all help and suggestions. 

Preemptive thank you. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/14/18 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yeah, this thread rolls the gamut from "my Mom just died in a flamethrower explosion" to "I stepped in dog E36 M3," doesn't it?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
5/14/18 6:09 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Besides, think of the money I'll be saving.

Not to mention you won't smell like weed anymore. laugh

My rant: I am expected to do the work of three people,  for the salary of one. Been in this job for 4 months, already looking for something else. Le sigh. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/14/18 6:38 p.m.

I said help is appreciated. Lolzers help ease the tension. So a hearty thank you.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
5/15/18 9:04 a.m.

Really? You have to be on my roof? berkeley!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/15/18 9:16 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

Burn it down build a new house.  That's the only way to move on from this.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/15/18 9:26 a.m.

Nah, he’s just up there eating stuff you want in your house even less.  Consider it good luck!

NickD
NickD UberDork
5/15/18 9:29 a.m.

I'm tired of these motherberkeleying snakes on mah motherberkeleying roof!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/15/18 9:41 a.m.

Black snakes are awesome.  Pretty much benign, usually good natured, and eat lotsa vermin.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/15/18 3:27 p.m.

berkeley you bunce buildings. Lying sacks of E36 M3. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/15/18 3:50 p.m.

Confirmed with the doctor I need surgery, that usually only takes 7-10 days to recover from.  But, I can’t get a consultation with the surgeon to schedule it until early June, then might take another month until surgery.  Until this is done, my ability to work on the cars in the fleet is almost nil, since I can’t lift much weight or bend into awkward positions.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/16/18 2:59 a.m.

Time to see what is going to go wrong today.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/16/18 8:37 a.m.

Ive been smelling people’s pot smoke all morning.  I never get to smell anyone’s coke.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
5/16/18 9:39 a.m.

Rain all weekend. Guess I'm not bringing out the challenge car to Carlisle. 

Plus side is, hopefully I'll just toss the miata around the track and drift it a bit. 

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
5/16/18 9:46 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Doesn't sound like a total washout at least, just a chance of scattered  showers and storms, according to what the local news was saying this morning. I need to call at lunch and see if I can still get the RX7 signed up for the show, which shouldn't be a problem. Is the Nissan club running auto x again this year? Do I need to register or anything, or can I just show up and run? I've attended numerous times, but never participated.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
5/16/18 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

Hmm... If it's just scattered showers I might bring out the challenge car....

The show you can register there, or pre-register online. Not sure when they close pre-registration. I usually register online, but since I might be switching cars, I haven't yet. (It take a bit of waiting to register there, depending on the line.)

NICO Group is doing the autocross/drift event again this year. Again, you can preregister online or walk up. I've done it both ways. Saves $5 to pre-register. I think it's $40 for walk-ups, but that's Friday, Saturday, Sunday run and get back in line as much as you want. Autocross/Drift alternate every 2 hours or so. If it's rainy, there usually aren't as many participants, so you can get a lot of seat time. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1ck9odtgfDZ6cjVCuBoV0vU8RYKoBVCMnvMrczFvxRs9LIVcAr9LtdmeHUlSS4hO