Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
8/14/18 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Which is why I don't use Motive's products.  Overpriced and overrated, IMO.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/14/18 9:29 p.m.
RevRico said:
dropstep said:

City council voted in a new bill. We now need a building permit for any property improvement costing over 300 dollars. Even inside work. 

That's pretty E36 M3ty. There's something similar inside city limits here (I live outside the limits) where they want a city certified contractor to do the work too. Technically even for little E36 M3 like changing faucets or outlets.

What I've always been curious about is how they would know if it was inside. Hell, does a TV or computer count? Flood them with bullE36 M3 requests and they'll give up rather quickly. 

So you need a permit to replace the carpeting? How about the washer and dryer? I think even getting your driveway resealed would cost more than that.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/14/18 10:24 p.m.
mad_machine said:
RevRico said:
dropstep said:

City council voted in a new bill. We now need a building permit for any property improvement costing over 300 dollars. Even inside work. 

That's pretty E36 M3ty. There's something similar inside city limits here (I live outside the limits) where they want a city certified contractor to do the work too. Technically even for little E36 M3 like changing faucets or outlets.

What I've always been curious about is how they would know if it was inside. Hell, does a TV or computer count? Flood them with bullE36 M3 requests and they'll give up rather quickly. 

So you need a permit to replace the carpeting? How about the washer and dryer? I think even getting your driveway resealed would cost more than that.

I've always said once the govt gets to choose your toilet paper it'll tell you how to wipe your bum.  $300?  What mouthbreathing career politician came up with that amount?  I mean  $3k maybe or $30k if there was some kind of actual real documented tsunami of problems with local work but $300?  Heck most state level felonies probably require more than $300 worth of loss.  indecision

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/14/18 11:19 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:
mad_machine said:
RevRico said:
dropstep said:

I've always said once the govt gets to choose your toilet paper it'll tell you how to wipe your bum.  $300?  What mouthbreathing career politician came up with that amount?  I mean  $3k maybe or $30k if there was some kind of actual real documented tsunami of problems with local work but $300?  Heck most state level felonies probably require more than $300 worth of loss.  indecision

Yeah it's fairly stupid and hard to enforce indoors I'd guess but it's the new law. I'm pretty sure it's mostly there to kill off small time handy men. The town introduced some new laws last year that killed off all trash pick up company's except one large one. The new mayor has been doing weird E36 M3.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/18 12:40 a.m.

I've worked 27 hours in 2 days on a total of 7 hours of sleep. For the third night in a row, I'm completely wired.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
8/15/18 12:06 p.m.

I missed the deal of a lifetime on a low miles Fiesta ST.  Had the cash but needed to be in a meeting at 1:00.  Car sold at 11:30.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/15/18 1:17 p.m.

I either bruised a rib or pulled a muscle in my back with sll the puking/coughing/ E36 M3ting in the last few days the only way it doesn't hurt is standing, but I'm too weak to do that very long.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
8/15/18 2:35 p.m.

What a perfect storm of BS this morning.

MIL went to the hospital last night with uncontrolled BP issues.  Her husband and daughter visited on their way to Seattle, so it seemed like it was not a big deal.  Instead they overdosed her on meds and nearly dropped her BP into the toilet.  A fun thing to wake up to.

2-year old daughter woke up throwing up and generally miserable.  So coconut water/pedialyte, saltines, graham crackers to the rescue.  She's feeling better now, but I suspect she's not done with the bug yet.

Wife is really, really pregnant as in C-section is scheduled for Monday pregnant.  So the above issues doesn't help the situation.  Luckily she has an OBGYN appt. next door this afternoon, so she'll visit her and hopefully all is well now.

I had an appt to take the FoRS in for routine maintenance, setup the appt a week ago, pretty basic stuff.  Showed up 10 minutes early and its a mess.  There's two SA's at the counter helping people, another two on the phone.  One acknowledges me and will get to me as soon as he can.  I go to the head and come back and there's only two SA's at the counter busy with other people.  Fine, they are busy, so I hang out a bit.  One leaves to talk with the shop and the other is BS'ing about his vacation and helps the lady behind me who has a later appt.  He explains they have no oil change guy today and they are sending everyone to their quick change place.  So after she reschedules and leaves I make eye contact and head towards the counter.  Instead he decides to check the 21 voice mails he has.  Ok, I'm done.  I've got a sick kid, a pregnant wife and a sick MIL.  I don't even have the energy to deal with the moron.  I'll talk with their GM and explain what customer service actually looks like and why I won't be back as there are other dealerships in the area.

When I mentioned all this to the bank teller on the way back home, the guy next to me actually turned and said, "Wow and I thought I needed a deep breath!"  Oh and the bank was on it as far as customer service goes, so it just made the dealership nonsense that much more annoying.

bustedplug
bustedplug New Reader
8/15/18 2:45 p.m.

trash can juice inside the explorer ewww!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/15/18 6:46 p.m.

Ive been stuck in the same two rooms of the house since sunday evening. 

Im starting to go a little nuts.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/15/18 10:06 p.m.

5 months have passed since I broke my foot. Still isn't fully healed yet and I'm not sure if it will get approved for a surgical repair or just make me miserable for a few more months. I didn't think it was possible to want to go back too work this badly. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/18 11:23 p.m.

39 hours of work in 3 days on 10 hours of sleep.

Hnnnnnnngh!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/16/18 8:02 a.m.

The city promised all teachers a pretty decent raise spread out over the next three years which would of been nice for us (wife's a teacher). But then there was a school board meeting and it comes out that 5 million is missing. Also that they have to have a months worth of operating budget in reserve which is 18 million but they only have 1.8 million. So they aren't giving the raises which sucks. I don't get why they even promised the raises if the only had a tenth of the required money in reserve or at best 6.8 million (if they hadn't of lost 5 million). And how the hell do you lose 5 million dollars?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/16/18 8:27 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

The city promised all teachers a pretty decent raise spread out over the next three years which would of been nice for us (wife's a teacher). But then there was a school board meeting and it comes out that 5 million is missing. Also that they have to have a months worth of operating budget in reserve which is 18 million but they only have 1.8 million. So they aren't giving the raises which sucks. I don't get why they even promised the raises if the only had a tenth of the required money in reserve or at best 6.8 million (if they hadn't of lost 5 million). And how the hell do you lose 5 million dollars?

Could it possibly be like Chicago, who decided to ignore basic math and Actuarial concepts to let the reserve (and pension fund and everything else) dry up?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/16/18 8:38 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

And how the hell do you lose 5 million dollars?

i was gonna say tiger blood / hookers / blow, but that's really not *losing* it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/16/18 9:21 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

The county next to us lost 19 million. You should be glad your district is as responsible as they are.

I live in the redneck district. We were actually awarded the most fiscally responsible school board in the state. Kind of surprised me. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
8/16/18 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I do the access control maintenance (including upgrades an installs now) in our building, and it's amazing what I find leftover from when the "professionals" installed the system back in 1999. The spaghetti mess you posted looks about right for these guys. I'm not perfect but I know how to use a volt meter and how to trace wires at least! I took some training from the manufacturer of our system in 1999 that apparently exceeded what these jokers did because I sorted out all their problems in a matter of hours after the initial $50,000 install fee didn't lead to them sort their mistakes. I'm not saying pros are useless - in fact I agree with your post - but it depends on the particular pros in discussion.

Seriously, they couldn't get the system to not sound an alarm every time you swiped a card. We ended up settling for 1/2 off the cost of the system. Would've been a bit cheaper for them to send a tech to the same training I took, but who knows if the tech would've retained the knowledge long enough to fix the problems.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/16/18 5:02 p.m.

Had to take the E34 back to my garage of least distrust because it actually leaked oil worse after they fixed the oil leaks around the pan. No problem, will be handled under warranty.

I thought I had agreed with the mechanic that I'd drop the car off on my way to the airport on Monday and pick it up late tonight when I come back. I thought he had agreed to that but I figured I'll just check in with them.

He hasn't even started on the car, which means that I now get to take a Lyft home and hope I don't get funny questions like "you drove your car to the airport, why did you take a Lyft back a few days later". Fortunately my boss is a very understanding person and a car guy himself.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/16/18 5:46 p.m.

Thought i was finally getting better. 

Guess not.

Yay....

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/16/18 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Hope you get to feeling better soon.  When I got it, I passed out and cracked some ribs in the fall.  In addition to painkillers, the hospital gave me some anti-nausea drugs that are usually given to cancer patients getting chemo.  They worked wonders - may want to check with your doctor and see if they can get you something like that.

My rant - just put a car up for sale, and listing the mods to it gave me a general idea of how much money I have in it, and how much I’m going to lose.  But, I just don’t have the space to keep it around, and the money from selling it can help fund work on the Beetle.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/16/18 11:16 p.m.

three more days till my sister returns to her home. It's been a VERY long two weeks with very little sleep. I am a light sleeper who usually goes to bed around one or two in the morning. My sister and her youngest crash around eight in the evening and get up around three or four in the morning. You can't keep a five year old quiet.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/17/18 6:59 a.m.

Stopped by a McDs for a sausage and egg mcmuffin. I was informed I had to order at the kiosk because they didn't have time to take orders. 

Seriously? I'll spend my money elsewhere. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
8/17/18 7:38 a.m.

After contorting myself for the previous two days trying to get the electronics, pumps, and other assorted crap back (mostly) installed (I've not bolted down everything yet) on the hot tub for the cabin, I decided that things were at the point where I needed to actually put water in it. This necessitated a trip to the pool/spa store since I figured it would be wise to have filters installed before actually powering it on. Trip to the store went well- thankfully though I have no idea of the exact model of hot tub that we got (they don't apparently badge/label them like car manufacturers do...) the brand that I have only really uses one size/type of filter for almost all of the models so that took a lot less time than expected. At $35/filter and using 2 it made me grumble a bit about the cost (plus $15 for a small container of chlorine)- until I looked around a bit at the new hot tubs on the showroom floor... the most basic one- a no-frills 110V round one that would hold maybe 4 very friendly people- was almost $4k. OK, maybe I'm still coming out pretty far ahead here...

Got back home and installed the filters and started filling it up. Mostly went well other than needing to scramble to tighten the connections on one of the pumps that I'd not cranked down tight enough, but after about an hour or so of filling it with the garden hose, it's filled up to where it should be and not leaking anywhere the I can see.

The problem? Now I have to deal with the electrical. It's a 220V unit, and we don't have a hookup for it right now. We've got plenty of room in the panel- hell, there are two unused 220V circuits because we have a gas dryer & stove and the house was set up for electric- but nothing set up to connect to the tub. So I as far as I can tell have two options: take the time and run the 4-connector wire from the panel to near the tub and install a GFCI box to hook the tub into, or hope that my generator can put out enough power for the tub and try and use it to power it for testing (not actually planning on trying to use the tub where it sits- just need to test out all the electronics and pumps). The Dancer's vote is for the generator- because she doesn't want me burning the house down hooking into the house's power. This won't happen, but she's incredibly paranoid about anything related to fire...

Unfortunately I've not started this generator in like 5 years- it may be more of a challenge to get working than the hot tub itself...

wae
wae SuperDork
8/17/18 7:55 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Just be sure that the generator can crank out enough wattage for the pumps.  My understanding is that if your generator is marginal, it can burn up pumps and motors fairly quickly because of something about electrons and volts-times-amps-equals-watts and stuff.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/17/18 8:42 a.m.

Worst case, maybe see what Home Depot or an equipment rental place would charge for one day’s use of a bigger generator.

Edit:  Looks like HD charges $43 for a 3000 watt and $57 for a 6500 watt generator for four hours.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u7ZjMYpEbViOLdqPLOcGPxXNEF9mRDWG4SGD5Rhd3slROMDKRwOyQTBQzNMnV5st