Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/25/18 5:28 p.m.

Seriously pissed i have to miss the challenge. And by the end of next week ill have met my extremely high insurance deductible.  And usingthe last of my pto to do it.

And will STILL not know if i have lung cancer. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/25/18 6:30 p.m.

Holy berkeleying E36 M3 pandora, did you really just play a VALENTINES DAY ad in September?! This is batE36 M3 crazy.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
9/25/18 8:03 p.m.

I've got one of those decisions to make which hurts someone no matter what I decide.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/25/18 9:43 p.m.
Tactical Penguin said:

I've got one of those decisions to make which hurts someone no matter what I decide.

Hate that, but it's part of being a grown-up. 

They will get past it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
9/26/18 6:24 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Why? Can't spell it? cheeky devil

No, but if I ever get nominated to the Supreme Court they'd dig up this thread and start saying I wasn't sensitive to people of certain sexual preferences.

Working in a male-dominated, largely blue collar industry is a lot like being in high school 25 years ago...

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/26/18 7:10 a.m.

Why are people so hard to deal with? Really hoping this turns into a win in a couple days, but... The process for getting the title for the $500 e28 has been something!

-Bought the car from the dude, title was in his Ex's name, signed over to him. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be able to go to me just like that, but he seemed like he'd help if I needed to have him finish his transfer and then mail it to me.

-As expected, I was not able to put the title in my name just like that. Also, naturally, the dude stops responding to my messages. 

-I have the title with the Ex's name, so I track her down on Facebook, send her a message and ask if she'd be willing to go get a duplicate title, sign it, and mail it to me, and I'll of course cover title costs plus some money for her troubles. 

-She responds, seems reasonable. 

-I send her a small amount of money to cover costs of the duplicate title, she goes to get it done and runs into legit sounding complications, asks for a bit more money, which I send. Supposedly title should come to her in 5-7 business days.

-She messages me today, says she has the title, wants the money for her time before she sends pictures of it or will mail it. 

-Currently trying to reason with her as to why it literally makes no sense for her not to send pictures of the title.....

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/26/18 7:13 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

Why are people so hard to deal with? Really hoping this turns into a win in a couple days, but... The process for getting the title for the $500 e28 has been something!

-Bought the car from the dude, title was in his Ex's name, signed over to him. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be able to go to me just like that, but he seemed like he'd help if I needed to have him finish his transfer and then mail it to me.

-As expected, I was not able to put the title in my name just like that. Also, naturally, the dude stops responding to my messages. 

-I have the title with the Ex's name, so I track her down on Facebook, send her a message and ask if she'd be willing to go get a duplicate title, sign it, and mail it to me, and I'll of course cover title costs plus some money for her troubles. 

-I send her a small amount of money to cover costs of the duplicate title, she goes to get it done and runs into legit sounding complications, asks for a bit more money, which I send. Supposedly title should come to her in 5-7 business days.

-She messages me today, says she has the title, wants the money for her time before she sends pictures of it or will mail it. 

-Currently trying to reason with her as to why it literally makes no sense for her not to send pictures of the title.....

Now supposedly she is mailing it and doesn't want the money. Still hasn't sent pics. (Starting to see possibly why this dude decided he didn't want to be with her. Guilt trips and mind games like crazy.)

Guess we'll see if it shows up. If it does I'll send her the money anyway, because I said I would.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/26/18 7:15 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:
AWSX1686 said:

Now supposedly she is mailing it and doesn't want the money. Still hasn't sent pics. (Starting to see possibly why this dude decided he didn't want to be with her. Guilt trips and mind games like crazy.)

Guess we'll see if it shows up. If it does I'll send her the money anyway, because I said I would.

....and now she wants the money again, half now, half when I get the title. 

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/26/18 7:27 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

That sucks!  I have danced the title dance with people before and it is never fun.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/26/18 8:24 a.m.

And this is why I will never buy a private sale car unless I can physically see it, the seller, a clear paper title in their name, and their driver's license all at the same time.

It's just not worth the headache.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/26/18 8:31 a.m.
Duke said:

unless I can physically see it, the seller, a clear paper title in their name, and their driver's license all at the same time.

*all at the same time* and with that time being before i even say the words "I'll take it".

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/26/18 9:23 a.m.

I added a dent too the bedside of the ugly ranger today unloading the stock 7.5 rear axle out of my zephyr at the scrapyard. berkeleying mud

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/26/18 9:35 a.m.
Duke said:

And this is why I will never buy a private sale car unless I can physically see it, the seller, a clear paper title in their name, and their driver's license all at the same time.

I'm glad we don't have that title nonsense up here.

There's a car I'm interested in. It looks like a good deal but it's about 2 hrs away.

That's ok, we're going camping and I'll drive by the car on the way there, and the way back. Perfect!

I contact the 'seller' 3 days before we're leaving.

We camp for a week, get back and he contacts me 3 days after I get back and apologizes. I respond with a possible time to look at it. That time has passed and he still hasn't gotten back to me. Now there's another car in the same area and I would like to see both at the same time but the better of the two will probably be gone before the first guy gets back to me.

I just don't get it.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/26/18 9:53 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Duke said:

unless I can physically see it, the seller, a clear paper title in their name, and their driver's license all at the same time.

*all at the same time* and with that time being before i even say the words "I'll take it".

In most cases, I do take those precautions with the title. In this case, if I decide to keep the car just for parts, I can still easily get my money back. I'd just much rather be able to drive it on the street occasionally. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
9/26/18 5:55 p.m.

I'm not sure whether I'm more cross with the rental company for having such an utter piece of E36 M3 edger in their fleet, or with myself for accepting it when the equipment guy couldn't really get it running right.

Either way, this afternoon was spent sitting in traffic for the joy of getting... what's the stuck-in-traffic guess for a vehicle whose best tank so far is 8.6mpg? And my yard has about 5' of edged grass.

Oh, mostly unrelated rant: and I think the new brake hoses helped, because after a short drive I could discern that the RF got hot sooner than the LF, but it appears to also be dragging calipers. Maybe cooked the phenolic pistons with the bad hoses? At least we're getting to easier and easier R&Rs...

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/26/18 6:05 p.m.

The third power steering pump I put in a 6.0 F-250 worked.

I am now very, very good at replacing Powerstroke power steering pumps.

The first pump?  Okay, odd.  Second pump, you start questioning yourself.  Was even looking to buy a P/S pressure tester.  None available locally to buy or borrow, although for $160 and a week's wait I can have one.  Not sure if a client is willing to wait a week for me to buy test equipment, or if I am willing to buy a P/S pressure tester when I never needed one in the last 20 years, and everything is going to electric anyway.

Rigged up something out of an adaptor for I-don't-know-what and tapped its end for 1/8NPT to plug in a 400psi trans pressure tester, and just deadheaded the pump.  Pump ran into the pressure tester and full stop, no relief.  Was expecting the gauge to peg in my hand.  Nope: 60psi.  Definitely a bad pump, two for two.

But the THIRD PUMP, that one stayed oop!  And that's what you'll inherit, the finest power steering pump in these isles!

(It should be noted that over the past couple months, I had to R&R the trans in teh S60R three times until I had a vehicle that would run and contain its own vital juices, so I've been feeling a bit unimpressed with my technical prowess as of late.)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/26/18 6:10 p.m.

I can handle hot. Jalapenos, habanero, ghost peppers, no problem. Why are the sport peppers out of my Chicago hotdog kicking my ass? My mouth is still burning 20 minutes later. Granted, I ate them by themselves, but what gives?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/26/18 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I use horseradish like some people use mayonnaise and one of my favorite quickfoods is sriracha and hot sauce on rice.  I got my butt kicked today by a Speedway chicken sandwich.  WTF?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
9/27/18 8:30 a.m.

One of my cats has severe food allergies (among other problems).  He also develops sensitivities to each food he eats after a while.  We had to transition him to a new food recently, and keep a close eye on him to make sure he had no adverse reactions.  Suddenly, this food is no longer available (even though it is still on the manufacturer’s website).  I’m in a rush to find a new food for him as I only have a few days supply left.  Worse, we’ll be on vacation soon, so we have to pretty much hope that whatever we switch him to will work out, because I don’t expect the person who’ll be watching the cats while we’re gone to make a bunch of trips to the vet.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/27/18 8:52 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I can handle hot. Jalapenos, habanero, ghost peppers, no problem. Why are the sport peppers out of my Chicago hotdog kicking my ass? My mouth is still burning 20 minutes later. Granted, I ate them by themselves, but what gives?

Sport peppers are one of the weirdest peppers to me. There is a little stand near me that has some that will burn your mouth up, but there are also some that I get from a stand near work that are missing almost any spiciness. Weird. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/27/18 8:53 a.m.

If i make it through the day without going the berkeley off it'll be a mirical.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/27/18 8:58 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

One of my cats has severe food allergies (among other problems).  He also develops sensitivities to each food he eats after a while.  We had to transition him to a new food recently, and keep a close eye on him to make sure he had no adverse reactions.  Suddenly, this food is no longer available (even though it is still on the manufacturer’s website).  I’m in a rush to find a new food for him as I only have a few days supply left.  Worse, we’ll be on vacation soon, so we have to pretty much hope that whatever we switch him to will work out, because I don’t expect the person who’ll be watching the cats while we’re gone to make a bunch of trips to the vet.

What food is it? I doubt that it is NLA entirely.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/27/18 9:47 a.m.

I took the ranger on the highway for the first time in the 9 months I've owned it, hit 65 and hear some terrible noise and watch part of the bodykit fly into the ditch. Guess they didn't put enough sheet metal screws into that part. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
9/27/18 10:13 a.m.
mtn said:
eastsideTim said:

What food is it? I doubt that it is NLA entirely.

Royal Canin Selected Protein Adult PR in cans.  It’s available as a kibble, but with his liver problems he needs the liquid in the canned food.  It’s not available at any of the big online retailers.  The vet got back to me this morning, and we’re going to try the PV (venison) or PD (duck) instead of the PR (rabbit), and hope to works out.  Not sure which to try, but leaning towards the venison, since it and rabbits are both plant eating mammals.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/27/18 10:49 p.m.

SWMBO is snoring. The cat is snoring. I'm stuck between a buzz saw and someone who sounds like they're breathing through a bong. How far can you jam pencils in your ears before you touch brain?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6ZMD28HRFuatX309lvISGx7Z8WhcXPXGlI9p6HdZDHFgr3ZtPNfwAS1QHKkiAldu