GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/7/18 11:58 a.m.
RevRico said:

Coming up on 4 days now with this headache. I'm starting to consider drilling a vent hole behind my right eye to let off some of the pressure. 

Don't do this, a doctor needs to put in a brain shunt tube. I have a friend who needed one for his headaches.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/7/18 12:44 p.m.

A long term company outside sales veteran pisses off my inside sales person today and since she is 65 years old she was upset enough to announce she’s retiring in 2 weeks.  Her previous plan was another 2-3 years.

Now my time will be used doing/training a new person.   

Dickhead.  

UPDATE - I talked her off the ledge.  She will stay.  

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/7/18 12:46 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

IMO setting up a ring and pinion is easy.  You do need access to a press and a dial indicator.  Modern manufacturing techniques mean that you usually don't need to juggle shims, just re-use the old pinion shims and 9 times out of 10 the pattern is great.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
11/7/18 1:45 p.m.

Scrap metal run over lunch in the truck. Made $21 but had a caliper lock up on the way there so that is net -$79 after the stop at the parts store on the way home. 

wae
wae SuperDork
11/7/18 3:06 p.m.

Left my wallet at home so I couldn't stop to get gas. So I ran out and had to have the wife bring me the gas can.  All while trying to participate in a conference call...

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/7/18 4:30 p.m.

I now know how I got into that minor fender bender a year ago. For those that don't remember, I had a lady back into my Disco at the Bank. I was reversing out and was to the point of being all the way out of my lane and about to pull fowards when we collided. Last night I was at the local Wawa (Think like a super 7-11 but very clean) and I watched a Smart car and a Nissan play out the same situation. Each was backing out from opposite sides of the lot, each was turning, and they came close to meeting back bumper to back bumper.

The Smart Car was either oblivious or knew he was going to free and clear and kept backing up till he could pull forwards and leave. The Nissan's driver saw the Smart Car and rather than pausing to let him back out, KEPT BACKING UP all while laying on the horn. I am sorry, but I do not care who has right of way, if you see somebody about to back into your car, you do what you can to get out of the way, you don't stay on course and lay on the horn (which is on the wrong end of the car in this situation) and hope the other car notices.

CJ
CJ Reader
11/7/18 4:50 p.m.

Had another I D ten T decide to pass over a double yellow before a blind corner today.  I was going about 60 in a 55 and there was another car going about the same speed I was 300 feet ahead.  I passed the asshat when we got onto the freeway, going the speed limit...

Message to asshats - if you want to kill yourself, do an airbag test and drive into a redwood tree.  Don't take my bride, me, and some poor innocent coming the other way out in the process of proving your lack of intelligence.

This may be a self-correcting genetic defect.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
11/7/18 5:48 p.m.
NickD said:

My trip to Tail Of The Dragon was on track to be the cheapest ever. Until it wasn't.

I left from NY Wednesday night, stopped at a friend's place in Alexandria, VA and crashed there. Woke up the next morning, drove to NC, stayed at a free campground with my friends. We cooked out and saved money instead of eating out. And then my Miata's 5-speed blew the berkeley up. So then I had to rent a U-Haul truck and trailer ($300) and had to fill that up 3 times on the way home at $80 a fill each time. Also, didn't want to try and maneuver that through VA, so had to get a hotel room. And because I was passing a Miata dismantler and had a big empty box van, I decided to pick up a new transmission, a 6-speed at $750. SIGH.

To make the 6-speed work right, I'm going to need to get a 3.63:1 ring & pinion and pay to get that installed. Likely going to need a new clutch/flywheel, because it started slipping before the trans exploded (likely due to the trans going away). There goes my money for mad coilovers.

First paragraph sounded like a Tail ticket for "oncoming driver entered my lane." Minor win by comparison!

Mike
Mike SuperDork
11/7/18 5:59 p.m.

Picture this. Highway. No sidewalk. 50 mph speed limit. Rush hour. Bumper to bumper. Three Lanes in each direction with a skinny median mostly too narrow for grass. Little pedestrian traffic, it's all car dealerships and such. I'm in the right most lane. Middle and left lanes are stopped. 

I'm doing about thirty, and I have about fifteen to twenty car lengths, to the next vehicle in front. Intersections are about a quarter of a mile apart here, and I'm not near one. Almost instantly, a woman at half run pops out from between two trucks. I slammed on the brakes hard, and her running speed meant she reached the shoulder about a second before I crossed the path she'd just traversed.

If I'd made a second better time, she and I might have had a significantly worse day. All because she didn't look before crossing all of the lanes.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/8/18 5:24 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

In reply to NickD :

Dude, that sucks.  Sorry you had such a sucky trip.  If you have a minute to wait deals can be had  on some of your parts (i bought a FM happy meal flywheel and clutch from another autocrosser two years ago for half price when he went to an engine swap).  Swapping out a whole diff carrier is far easier than messing with R&P gears, keep an eye out and you'll find something good.  3.9 setups shouldn't cost you too much.  Good luck.

I'd much rather have the 3.63s, because those basically give me a 5-speed with a 4.10 in gears 1 through 5. But then I get 6th-gear with 600rpm lower for cruising.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/8/18 6:27 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

My totally unsolicited advice: Don't ever drive at normal speed in the far right lane when the other lanes are stopped.  People can't count, are unobservant, or something in that situation.  There is a piece of road near my shop that has third lane collisions almost daily, generally people turning left into a Tim Hortons.

If I ever have a vehicle I want to sell to the insurance company, I will drive in that lane between 4:30 and 5.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/8/18 8:14 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Mike :

My totally unsolicited advice: Don't ever drive at normal speed in the far right lane when the other lanes are stopped.  People can't count, are unobservant, or something in that situation.  There is a piece of road near my shop that has third lane collisions almost daily, generally people turning left into a Tim Hortons.

If I ever have a vehicle I want to sell to the insurance company, I will drive in that lane between 4:30 and 5.

All you have to do is watch youtube crash videos to see that.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/18 8:43 a.m.

The tacos i had for dinner last night are haunting me today. Glad im in the office.....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/8/18 9:50 a.m.

Dear trail runners, maybe running with earbuds in at full blast isn't a great idea on a multi-use path. When I am yelling, can I pass on my mountain bike you might have your music up too loud.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/8/18 2:11 p.m.

Green light means you may proceed across the intersection if you can exit the other side.  It does not mean blindly enter it and stop halfway across because traffic is backed up.

Also, laying on your horn makes my car stall.

daeman
daeman Dork
11/8/18 2:45 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Is the Miata diff center the same size as rx7's and other Mazda's? A b2600i 2wd would net you a 3.72 if they are.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/8/18 3:07 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Also, laying on your horn makes my car stall.

I've been known to hop out, make a not-so-quick safety check of all 4 tires, look at the person and shrug, then wave thanks and hop back in my car.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/8/18 3:19 p.m.

And my own rant:

Oh, yay, car club politics.  And it's all just coming up right now when officer elections are supposed to happen at our holiday party / club meeting the first week in December.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/8/18 3:27 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

I know that most of the Mazda 7" ring and pinions overchange. OEM, the 3.63:1s came from a '79-'82 RWD Mazda 626 with a manual trans. So they're rare, although companies make new ones. Apparently the diesel Courier came with a set of 3.308s that would be cool, but good luck finding the,

daeman
daeman Dork
11/8/18 3:50 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Not sure about usdm b2600i's but over here pretty much all the Mazda commercial vehicles use the 8" diff.

Where's my time machine when you need it, at one stage I had 3 rwd 626's, 2 of which were parts donor's. All I've got left is a rebuild 5speed, maybe an f/ma camshaft.

There's some weird unicorn Mazda oem type stuff, I'm always keeping an eye out. I want to find an r2 diesel engine, my understanding is it's just a modified f2 casting and as such the diesel crank would be something I want to lay my hands on. Then there's the manual bell housings to suit the je/jf/j5..... I've never ever seen one in the flesh.... But they exist.... Allegedly.

Good luck, hopefully you can get the diff sorted for not crazy amounts of money

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/8/18 5:35 p.m.

My free recliner finally broke.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/8/18 5:57 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to daeman :

I know that most of the Mazda 7" ring and pinions overchange. OEM, the 3.63:1s came from a '79-'82 RWD Mazda 626 with a manual trans. So they're rare, although companies make new ones. Apparently the diesel Courier came with a set of 3.308s that would be cool, but good luck finding the,

The 3.308 rearend is apparently vaporware, don't even bother trying to find it.

That 626 also has the best smoothcase gearset (better than the Miata in some ways).  I looked for one a while back and there were a couple in Michigan.

I found one in WInnipeg.  Probably easier to find a 6 speed Miata gearset, really.  Place called Peconic Auto Wreckers Inc. supposedly has one from an '03 6-speed.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/8/18 6:00 p.m.
daeman said:There's some weird unicorn Mazda oem type stuff, I'm always keeping an eye out. I want to find an r2 diesel engine, my understanding is it's just a modified f2 casting and as such the diesel crank would be something I want to lay my hands on.

IIRC, those are easy to find - they were the same as 8 bolt flywheel gasoline engine cranks.  The number of flywheel bolts being the main difference.

I think the idea of an FE engine is neat, aside from the lack of cams and stuff available.  And I discovered very recently that there is some amount of parts interchange between the FS (the "short F" 2-liter DOHC in the second generation MX-6/Probe) and the BP.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/8/18 10:53 p.m.

If Chuck Norris woke up tomorrow with the physical and mental issues I deal with on a daily basis, he'd jump out a berkeleying window.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/9/18 7:13 a.m.
Knurled. said:
NickD said:

In reply to daeman :

The 3.308 rearend is apparently vaporware, don't even bother trying to find it.

That 626 also has the best smoothcase gearset (better than the Miata in some ways).  I looked for one a while back and there were a couple in Michigan.

I found one in WInnipeg.  Probably easier to find a 6 speed Miata gearset, really.  Place called Peconic Auto Wreckers Inc. supposedly has one from an '03 6-speed.

The problem is that even the 3.90s with a 6-speed absolutely hoses my second gear. Like from 64mph with 5-speed/4.10s to 55mph with the 6-speed/3.90s. Which is no bueno for autocross. The 3.63s with the 6-speed act like a 5-speed/4.10 with slightly lower gears on 1-5, but then 6th gear is a nice cruising gear, chopping off almost 600rpm

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OHjMX54k3Gl9BnxVxfduFoEf22r4DSUA8CReM2YHHhIVVrI1sCaK7RHKceDVEI13