Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
11/9/18 8:32 a.m.

I have to drive into downtown Toronto today, while towing a horse trailer, on the day of the city's first snowfall.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/9/18 8:52 a.m.

What the berkeley was GM thinking when they picked these Michelins for the '18+ GMC Acadias? People are coming in for their 2nd or 3 oil changes at 16k-18k miles and the tread is already down to 3-4/32s of tread. Can't wait for the impending screaming when at 20K we have to tell people that they need new tires. "Why? What's wrong with my vehicle? Shouldn't that be under warranty?" And it's clearly the tires at fault, because the wear is even and it's on every Acadia.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
11/9/18 9:01 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Any idea if there’s a mileage warranty on the tires from Michelin?

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
11/9/18 10:44 a.m.

Have spent nearly 3 hours scrolling looking for (I think it was) Swank Force One's red Mazda MX6 GT build thread... 

I know I was gone for awhile, but damn. What ever happened to some of those people?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/18 11:17 a.m.
NickD said:

What the berkeley was GM thinking when they picked these Michelins for the '18+ GMC Acadias?

They were thinking: "These are cheap, round, and black, everybody's heard of Michelin, and Acadia drivers don't give a crap anyway or they wouldn't be driving an Acadia."

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/9/18 11:38 a.m.

What's the point of lifting your full size Chevy 8 inches and running 37s that have Less tread then most drag radials. Other then it makes my job much more annoying

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/9/18 12:18 p.m.
Duke said:
NickD said:

What the berkeley was GM thinking when they picked these Michelins for the '18+ GMC Acadias?

They were thinking: "These are cheap, round, and black, everybody's heard of Michelin, and Acadia drivers don't give a crap anyway or they wouldn't be driving an Acadia."

Oh, but they give a crap when, at their third oil change, you are already giving them tire quotes.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/9/18 12:23 p.m.
NickD said:
Duke said:
NickD said:

Oh, but they give a crap when, at their third oil change, you are already giving them tire quotes.

I can't wait to get rid of the runflat Michelins on my FoRS, unfortunately they aren't wearing fast enough for me :/

That said, the last set of Michelins we put on the wife's rig had held up quite well and the new ones just installed (thanks to Costco) work quite well so far.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/9/18 1:36 p.m.

People who put leather cases over their phones: Your phone literally smells like a biker's ass. Does this not bother you? Do you sometimes catch a whiff of your own hands and think "WHOA my hands smell like biker ass, what's this!?!? Oh wait it's my phone, nothing to worry about."

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/9/18 3:32 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

How much time have you spent smelling biker’s asses?

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/9/18 3:34 p.m.
Wally said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Is this a Canadian or Caribbean fetish I'm not aware of?

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
11/9/18 3:41 p.m.
Wally said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Don't ask a question when you don't want to know the answer...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/9/18 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Once my Unkle bought a new Buick and one month later he put on new tires as he said he didn’t like the ones it came with.  

My Dad and I were blown away.  Who does that?  We were taught you run those tires out until they are bald   

Some day I’ll tell you the story about his buddy who bought a Buick LeSabre and three months later he traded it in for another Buick LeSabre since he didn’t like the color on the first one.  My dad’s mind was BLOWN!   

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/9/18 4:08 p.m.

<sniffs phone> OK, I'm good. laugh

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
11/9/18 4:25 p.m.

I am mentally tormented by questions I do not have the answers to....

Principally, how does one smell another persons phone to know it smells like a bikers ass?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/9/18 4:32 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

<sniffs biker> so am I 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/9/18 6:15 p.m.

Text, in total: "Hi, I'm interested in the Volvo you have for sale."

I really don't know exactly how to respond.  "That's nice." maybe.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/9/18 6:19 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

How about “I’m interested in selling it to you.”

Jay
Jay UltraDork
11/9/18 6:32 p.m.

I once replied to one of those with "Fascinating." The guy responded with a picture of Mr. Spock. Communication went no further beyond that point.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/9/18 6:39 p.m.
Stefan said:
Wally said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Is this a Canadian or Caribbean fetish I'm not aware of?

Guess I stepped into that one but I'm familiar with the stench of gross sweaty leather in general. Which doesn't sound a whole lot better...

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/9/18 6:43 p.m.

Luddites who can't understand how to connect something to their TV to watch internet programming.

I mean, have you ever used a DVD or Blu-Ray player?  If you can figure that out...

Its just change, take a breath and embrace it.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/9/18 6:43 p.m.

I got one of those new phones that doesn't sweat I guess. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/9/18 6:45 p.m.
NickD said:
Knurled. said:
NickD said:

In reply to daeman :

I know that most of the Mazda 7" ring and pinions overchange. OEM, the 3.63:1s came from a '79-'82 RWD Mazda 626 with a manual trans. So they're rare, although companies make new ones. Apparently the diesel Courier came with a set of 3.308s that would be cool, but good luck finding the,

The 3.308 rearend is apparently vaporware, don't even bother trying to find it.

That 626 also has the best smoothcase gearset (better than the Miata in some ways).  I looked for one a while back and there were a couple in Michigan.

I found one in WInnipeg.  Probably easier to find a 6 speed Miata gearset, really.  Place called Peconic Auto Wreckers Inc. supposedly has one from an '03 6-speed.

The problem is that even the 3.90s with a 6-speed absolutely hoses my second gear. Like from 64mph with 5-speed/4.10s to 55mph with the 6-speed/3.90s. Which is no bueno for autocross. The 3.63s with the 6-speed act like a 5-speed/4.10 with slightly lower gears on 1-5, but then 6th gear is a nice cruising gear, chopping off almost 600rpm

You know, I was under the impression that all 6 speed NBs had the 3.636 final.  I was wrong.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/9/18 6:53 p.m.
Wally said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Space Corps Directive 196156

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/9/18 8:09 p.m.

We have a relative that is just starting community college, hates it and wants to take a county test to work as a correction officer. The Wife got him a study guide and is trying to help him but it’s not going well. This week we learned that he somehow graduated high school without learning how to multiply or divide at all. He also has quite a bit trouble with reading comprehension. 

How does a kid graduate from a “good” suburban school system not absorb a little something along the way?  Now she’s killing herself to try and get him to learn basic information so he can either get through a government test , finish school, or maybe learn a trade.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IfyYBhIkLaepoIPGWoXvm0Hkn7PI4FFGSc7R0emzYqxbOCBFxcBZ2bPdDzfLwCXX