Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/18 6:54 p.m.

Sometimes it takes a lot to learn who your friends are. Sometimes it takes very little. 

I've been sleeping in the basement at work for 2 months, trying to save for a place to stay. Today they pinched me. It's a small company and we're all on a first name basis. 

"Why didn't you tell us this happened?"

Because it's berkeleying embarrassing. All I have left is self respect and I've been spending that quickly. 

"We're you planning on staying here tonight? "

"Yes."

"Well, where are you doing to stay?"

"Well, I guess in my car."

This conversation is taking place with my (quickly becoming former) friend who is also my immediate manager. He lives in a 3,000sq. ft. house with his wife and only child. And a dog. You think he'd say sleep on my couch tonight so you can figure it out tomorrow? And maybe not freeze your ass off because it's going down to 15? All the projects I've helped him with over 25 years of friendship, wrenching on cars, the house moves, all forgotten.

Silence. 

Thanks for the support.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/19/18 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Sorry to hear about the job man. Sucks right before the holidays. Stay strong, something better is in the cards for you.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/20/18 5:44 a.m.

Haven't lost my job (yet), just my dignity.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/20/18 6:05 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Ah, I misunderstood "pinched". Good to hear, even if they aren't open to the living arrangements.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/20/18 9:41 a.m.

Glad it was not the job you lost.. you can always buy back your dignity

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
11/20/18 12:11 p.m.

My family will be getting here in a few hours for the holiday, yay! I was supposed to be taking a vacation day tomorrow to extend the 2-day holiday to 3 to spend more time with them- but it's increasingly looking like I'm going to have to be at work instead tomorrow.

Why? Because some dipwad in the company's IT department decided that I only needed an administrative/office work-level laptop and not an engineering/analytical-level one, so everything that I do with the engineering software takes forever due to how little memory and and horsepower this thing has. It is WAY too tempting for the laptop to have an 'accident' that renders it useless but doesn't damage the hard drive so the data can be transferred to a proper analysis computer as a replacement. If I had a decent computer I'd have been able to finish things up easily today.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/20/18 3:06 p.m.

Dear death spiral,

I would like off our ride to oblivion.

Thanks.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/20/18 3:26 p.m.

I'm going to a car dealership too test drive a vehicle my wife likes. I try to avoid dealerships and financing things. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/21/18 9:20 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

My family will be getting here in a few hours for the holiday, yay! I was supposed to be taking a vacation day tomorrow to extend the 2-day holiday to 3 to spend more time with them- but it's increasingly looking like I'm going to have to be at work instead tomorrow.

Why? Because some dipwad in the company's IT department decided that I only needed an administrative/office work-level laptop and not an engineering/analytical-level one, so everything that I do with the engineering software takes forever due to how little memory and and horsepower this thing has. It is WAY too tempting for the laptop to have an 'accident' that renders it useless but doesn't damage the hard drive so the data can be transferred to a proper analysis computer as a replacement. If I had a decent computer I'd have been able to finish things up easily today.

there has to be somebody higher up the food chain who can help?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/21/18 9:56 a.m.

We caught our almost 10 year old daughter digging through the closet today. Where the Christmas presents were hidden this year. The ones from santa.

Then she lied about what she was doing. 

Parenting is DAMN tough today. Were caught between dishonesty and violating of trust and loss of childhood innocence. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/21/18 10:19 a.m.

New to me NC Miata came with only one key (and it's in rough shape, remote doesn't work).  Ordered a pair of replacements from Bezos and company which arrived yesterday.  Today I cut the new key blades and I can do the little remote dance to program the fobs.....but apparently I need two working transponder keys to clone new ones.  Since I only have the one working key that means a trip to the dealership and money.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/21/18 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

My parents used to hide the neighbor’s kids gifts and they’d hide ours. I was digging around with my sister and found a sweet Matchbox parking garage in the attic. When I didn’t open it Christmas morning I had no idea who to complain to.

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
11/21/18 10:33 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

I have seen a laptop go thru the band saw before being turned in to IT for a malfunction...

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/21/18 10:48 a.m.
dropstep said:

I'm going to a car dealership too test drive a vehicle my wife likes. I try to avoid dealerships and financing things. 

I'm in the same boat. We need a new DD for the family after the last one gave its life valiantly. I hate buying cars, but at this price range private party is non-existant. So dealer it is.

wae
wae SuperDork
11/21/18 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Ouch.  That is a tough one.  Don't lie to us.  But when we told you santa was bringing the gifts, that was different.

My wife and I have been talking about how to break the news to our own kids recently and how we always tell them how important it is to be honest.  But here we are, right?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/21/18 11:32 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

You should try the FORscan software. Works with most Mazdas. I believe it works with miatas. Just add keys don’t delete until you’re sure they all work!!

https://forscan.org/home.html

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
11/21/18 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

That's a nice story... some kids find gifts destined for the kids of women their father is trying to have an affair with.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
11/21/18 1:55 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

That is a very unfortunate name...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/21/18 1:56 p.m.

I'm behind someone who can't understand how to order a $1 hamburger. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/21/18 2:34 p.m.
slefain said:
dropstep said:

I'm in the same boat. We need a new DD for the family after the last one gave its life valiantly. I hate buying cars, but at this price range private party is non-existant. So dealer it is.

It was actually pretty painless for us this time. Wife's happy and the finance rate and period is well below our budget. No penalty for early pay off so we will likely double it up.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/21/18 5:49 p.m.
Furious_E said:

In reply to dculberson :

That is a very unfortunate name...

Do you have any tips for a better name?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/22/18 7:36 a.m.

It wouldn’t be thanksgiving without an shiny happy person relative.  Last night my wife posted a silly picture on Facebook with the caption Gobble till you wobble that a few of her friends posted. I woke up to a long winded message on trying to fast this year so we weren’t such fat berkeleys. I laughed it off as it came from a cousin who almost died from anorexia but it’s still a bit obnoxious from someone who we only see once a year and has as many heath problems as my wife in spite of only weighing about 95 pounds.  As much as I like seeing my immediate family on holidays I don’t mind missing the rest of the bullE36 M3.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/22/18 8:19 a.m.

I think I only rallycrossed four times this year and I feel deeply unfulfilled.

Time to make a recap video

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
11/22/18 10:24 a.m.
Knurled. said:

I think I only rallycrossed four times this year and I feel deeply unfulfilled.

Time to make a recap video

I made it once :(

I really need to make sure the Beetle is ready when the 2019 season opens.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/22/18 12:27 p.m.

Never ask if things can get worse.

They will.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7PbtiJ3FxCnppuWjIezCBLzJOfXR1Gd235ijY8djrNlAR4FFsvTg4q1pDfLpwDML