Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/9/19 10:16 p.m.

Golly, Mr Investment guy.  I thought when I told you last spring that I wanted to lock everything down because I felt pretty confident E36 M3 was going to tank, I figured locking down wouldn't lose me five percent of my total value in the last quarter.  I told you I'd buy it all back after the tanking...  I guess I need to tear someone a new shiny happy person tomorrow.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/10/19 3:12 a.m.

The berkeleying cat woke me up at 3:45. Cant go back to sleep. 

Today is going to suck. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/10/19 5:19 a.m.
oldopelguy said:

Facebook marketplace is turning me into a jerk.  I just screenshot my own listing, circled the relevant words, and forwarded the marked up picture to a perspective buyer who asked me a stupid question that was answered in the ad. 

I'm not sure I am comfortable being the guy Facebook is turning me into. 

Just ignore them.  If they can't figure out how to read an ad, how well do you think an actual monetary transaction is going to go?

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
1/10/19 7:35 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Not to add insult to injury, but if someone told me to "lock it down" I'm not sure I would have interpreted that to mean sell everything and hold cash either.  To make you feel better and add my own very minor rant, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us lost money on paper.  Quite a bit of it...    

wae
wae SuperDork
1/10/19 8:14 a.m.

When various people in the organization know that there are new customers coming on-line but fail to pool that information and notify the people responsible for allocating capacity for those customers, the failure is in our organization.  It is not a failure of the utility storage program that you have an array sitting around with only about 20 TiB of capacity doing absolutely nothing for 8 months and then 75 TiB of requests come in over a three day period that were all promised to the customers to be done "ASAP".

And, no, having a coffee machine conversation with a guy from the virtualization team does not equate to properly notifying the storage ops team.  Strangely enough, guys on the virtualization team are not on the storage team.  Which - and I'm going to speculate wildly here - might possibly be why we call the virtualization team the virtualization team and NOT the storage team.  Crazy, I know.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
1/10/19 9:11 a.m.

For some reason the OTA DVR stopped getting a good signal from the antenna last night and as such didn't record three shows (including one- Masked Singer- that both the Dancer and I were rather looking forward to). Actual TV was getting a clear signal, but we didn't realize the DVR wasn't working properly so were watching something recorded the previous night when the shows were on. Worried for a short while that the strong winds yesterday had blown the UFO antenna off the roof, but it was still there. Eventually got it back working (hopefully) properly this morning by shutting off the signal amplifier on the antenna line. Explain to me how that works. -_-

The Dancer's non-profit's show is coming up this Saturday evening, so we're swamped getting everything ready for that and I'll likely spend almost all my waking hours between when I get off from work this afternoon until after the show Saturday night at the theatre (or ferrying things there from home). Things look to be largely in place despite some issues with the rigger for the aerial acts- but the bigger concern is the fact that, once again, the weather is suddenly looking like it's going to be horrible (the same thing happened last year- full-on blizzard the right before the show). Last year it doubtless seriously hurt the attendance, and if it happens again is likely to do the same... and the Dancer has decided that if that happens this will be the last time we do an encore/January show like this because we end up losing money on them if not enough people attend.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/10/19 9:28 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The berkeleying cat woke me up at 3:45. Cant go back to sleep. 

Today is going to suck. 

We finally set up a room at the other end of the house in the basement for the cat to sleep in. We put in a litter box, water bowl, and a heated cat bed. (I think it was this one.) At first I would take her to the room each night, but now she stands at the top of the stairs to that room and meows to be let in around 7-8pm each night. She loooooves that heated bed. The difference in my sleep has been awesome. Of course the baby's still waking us up but eliminating the four legged pain in the butt from the equation has reduced my stress so, so much.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/10/19 11:30 a.m.

In reply to (not) WilD (Matt) :

What I actually said was that I was highly risk averse now.  I should have clearly stated that I wanted my cash in a GIC, or in a coffee can under the bed.  I firmly believe a big ol' crash is coming, and I want to survive it and buy all my stocks and bonds back at half price.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/10/19 12:27 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

What I actually said was that I was highly risk averse now.  I should have clearly stated that I wanted my cash in a GIC, or in a coffee can under the bed.  I firmly believe a big ol' crash is coming, and I want to survive it and buy all my stocks and bonds back at half price.

Lots of people said that back in 2013, and sat out a 75% return over the last five years.. so if it crashes back 50% they've still lost out on 25% returns. You have to time it right twice - on the sell and on the buy - and to me that's a fools errand. I subscribe to buy and hold. Through crashes and all.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/10/19 1:05 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I've been doing that since 1990.  I'm 58.  I've watched my portfolio tank at least twice, and I just don't want to do it again.  I'm to the point where the long game doesn't interest me any more.

I could very well be wrong about Every Single Thing going sideways, but I will take that chance.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
1/10/19 1:30 p.m.
dculberson said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Lots of people said that back in 2013, and sat out a 75% return over the last five years.. so if it crashes back 50% they've still lost out on 25% returns. You have to time it right twice - on the sell and on the buy - and to me that's a fools errand. I subscribe to buy and hold. Through crashes and all.

Hi dculberson,

As a practicing statistician and someone that has read many books on the subject by renowned mathematicians of various specialties, I (we) totally agree with you…trying to beat the market is, as you say, a fool’s errand.

Having said that, streetwise is in his late 50’s so, depending on his situation, he probably should be in the process of gently transitioning some of his portfolio into lower risk investments.

Personally, I’m 54 and I intend to remain balls-out with everything in S&P 500 Index funds until I die but doing so with relative safety requires that I live well below my means to build up an oversized portfolio that can weather the inevitable down turns.

Added later...

Hi streetwise,

I was typing when you posted...oh well, it doesn't look like there's any big conflict given your last post.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/10/19 2:36 p.m.

Welp.  The 2-year old just pooped on the carpet in the living room.

For those of you on the fence about having kids?  Realize that at some point you'll need to potty train them and this can and will happen.

Then again, peeling them out of a completely poop soaked onesie is right up there in the grossometer.

Carpet cleaned and drying, child cleaned and changed, lunch is cold, I'm starving and I still have to pee (which she proceeded to knock on the bathroom door the entire time I was peeing because she's curious and doesn't realize how close I am to losing my temper over everthing.)

I need a berkeleying break from all of this.  I'm going to lose what little sanity I have left.

Of course my wife's aunt calls because the printer at her Mail-N-More store doesn't work and wants me to help her out and this is after getting a call about replacing a kitchen faucet at one of her Uncle's.

Oh and I still have to work, which includes my year end performance appraisal meeting.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/10/19 2:41 p.m.

I have a major rant in me. Wife and I are effected by the government shutdown. I might get back pay, but my wife won't (contractor). No money coming in for our household.

We have savings to weather awhile, but this right after having a baby is hurting worse.

Wife manages some people who can't weather this, including a single mother. Wife is having to swallow pride and file for unemployment as well as her people.

Can't rant much more without floundering. 

And to top it off, I have a stomach bug with a fever of 102 and vomiting, so I have to quarantine myself from my 6 month old son.

Can I get a G-D break soon?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/10/19 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Dude. Right there with you. Mines pooped on the floor a few times. Thankfully not on carpet .. yet. 

But you gotta learn to pee with her in the room. Pee sitting down if you gotta. No other way to survive as an involved dad. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/10/19 7:14 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Stefan :

Dude. Right there with you. Mines pooped on the floor a few times. Thankfully not on carpet .. yet. 

But you gotta learn to pee with her in the room. Pee sitting down if you gotta. No other way to survive as an involved dad. 

No, I was cleaning the bathroom up after everything and stopped to have a pee, the entire time she was knocking on the door, etc.  I was really looking for a small break and she tracked me down.

Already had to use the restroom with her while out at a restaurant, so yeah that isn't an issue.

She was surprised by the No.2 and ran straight for the potty afterward and while I was cleaning her up, she was asking to take a bath.  So she knew she made a mistake, but the connection wasn't there to "head it off at the pass" as it were.

Luckily, the carpet is 13 years old, we have a decent carpet cleaner and the wife was at work so I was able to deal with it without any more frustration.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/10/19 7:22 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

I have a major rant in me. Wife and I are effected by the government shutdown. I might get back pay, but my wife won't (contractor). No money coming in for our household.

We have savings to weather awhile, but this right after having a baby is hurting worse.

Wife manages some people who can't weather this, including a single mother. Wife is having to swallow pride and file for unemployment as well as her people.

Can't rant much more without floundering. 

And to top it off, I have a stomach bug with a fever of 102 and vomiting, so I have to quarantine myself from my 6 month old son.

Can I get a G-D break soon?

Damn man, that is all sorts of E36 M3ty.  Seriously, the shutdown is hurting all the wrong people and for all the wrong reasons.

If there's anything any of us can do for you or your friends and co-workers that are impacted by this, let us know.

Honestly, if one of these uber-rich folks wanted to help, they could use one of their foundations to help some of these folks.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/10/19 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Not much to do, most things I would say would be floundering and I don't want to upset the mods. Just doing my best to express non-partisan disgust and inform people of aspects of this most of the public wouldn't be aware of.

We found a substitute teaching gig for the single mom and are keeping in touch. Just hope we get back to work soon.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/11/19 3:07 p.m.

I’ve never had much back pain before, but I sneezed this morning and now my lower back has been killing me ever since.  

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
1/11/19 3:44 p.m.

So let me get this straight. I have to sort through pallets on the floor, I have to find everything that isn't where it's supposed to be, and I have to check myself out? Why do you even have employees and why the berkeley don't I get an employee discount for doing your "employees" job?

From now on, when I get to the line of 20 checkouts and only the 2 self checkouts are open, I'm leaVing my cart full of E36 M3 in front of them and leaving. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
1/11/19 3:52 p.m.

HR decided that instead of giving me a first paycheck with only 4 working days on it they would just wait until the next full pay period and give me back pay for those 4 days.

That's all well and good but I was expecting a paycheck, even a small one.

Oh well, eating is overrated sad

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/11/19 3:57 p.m.

I just defriended someone on facebook. You (person I defriended) should know better than to get pulled into an MLM. Instead of posting something snarky, I just decided to defriend her and her husband.

tb
tb Dork
1/11/19 4:37 p.m.

I want a new car but I don't know what will make me happy. Too many options and they all have flaws... I feel broken or something because everyone has a dream car(s) except me.

indecision

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/19 5:42 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I'm not sure what an MLM is. Man-Lesbian-Man?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/11/19 5:48 p.m.
tb said:

I want a new car but I don't know what will make me happy. Too many options and they all have flaws... I feel broken or something because everyone has a dream car(s) except me.

indecision

All cars suck.  The key is to decide what you feel is the property of suck that means the most to you, and find a car that minimizes that.

I mean, my S60R sucks because it weighs freakin 3800 pounds.  But it won't rust, ever, because Volvo nailed rust prevention on this chassis.   So, tradeoff is worth it.

Emotionally I would much rather have a Mazdaspeed6 or an '04 STI when haunting the mythical hyperturbo AWD sport sedan.  But both of those rust so fast that it is almost audible, and I have had far too many awesome cars rust out from under me, so Volvo it is.  (There's always the Passat W8, which I have a very soft spot in a heart for, and makes the requisite roughly-300hp despite being a naturally aspirated eight, but replacing the timing chains that WILL fail, very soon, would cost about as much as I paid for the Volvo, so....)

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
1/11/19 6:08 p.m.
RevRico said:

So let me get this straight. I have to sort through pallets on the floor, I have to find everything that isn't where it's supposed to be, and I have to check myself out? Why do you even have employees and why the berkeley don't I get an employee discount for doing your "employees" job?

From now on, when I get to the line of 20 checkouts and only the 2 self checkouts are open, I'm leaVing my cart full of E36 M3 in front of them and leaving. 

When I was tiling our kitchen, I had 99% of what I needed in the cart (~ $500 worth) and was looking for a couple of edge trim pieces. Finally found someone with a Lowes uniform on who told me I'd just have to look around for them.  Wrong Answer! Told him to enjoy putting all the stuff back on the shelves and went to a local tile distributor. 30 minutes later, they were loading the stuff into my truck for me. Might have cost me an extra $20.

Another time, stocking up for a week's vacation at a secluded cabin, 2 carts full of food, supplies and beer at wally world. 15 minutes waiting in the checkout line and then the checker tells me I have to go to another lane because she won't ring up my beer because of her religious beliefs.

As much as I respect her beliefs, Not Happening! You took this job, now do it.  Left both carts in line and walked out empty handed.

Have I mentioned that I won't shop at Wally World?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ubP6jqX7TSmti51k7dxgage7ZntxoK2ugxhzC3N1Pr6mPEXWvoJSy8fTv0KSKA54