Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
1/19/19 10:49 a.m.

Related image

I know, I know..... But CL sellers that won't respond to their ads.  Why advertise?   It really ticks me off!!!  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/19/19 10:50 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

You know what?  I used to feel that way, but in some cases I’ve managed to get over it. Just because you can’t choose your family doesn’t mean you’re stuck with supporting them. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
1/19/19 1:04 p.m.

I have lived in this rental house for 19 days. I was interested in it because it has a huge garage, a giant screened lanai, is in a quiet neighborhood and has plenty of bedrooms to store my junk in. The property management company said that they really didn't have enough time to properly go through the house after the previous tenant moved out. Ok, so why was it listed if it wasn't ready to be occupied? I moved in 2 days after I had expressed interest in it. I had called about it before I flew across the country for my new job. I gave them the benefit of the doubt because it was a pretty quick turn around and there were a few issues that needed addressed. I'm a pretty patient guy but I have no patience for incompetence.

The broker did a video walk through and wrote down everything he and I found.

Here is what was promised to be fixed:

Some of the light bulbs needed changed. They had their handyman come by a couple of days after I moved in and change them out. He did put a full size CFL bulb in a ceiling fan that has all compact CFLs in it. Even after the broker wrote down the bulb size (I saw his notes). That's pretty minor though.

There is a remote controlled ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms that doesn't work. I replaced the remote battery and now the fan works but the lights do not. The handyman replaced the bulbs but did not do anything more. So that bedroom does not have a working light.

The bathroom sink needed to be replaced because it was starting to rust where the overflow hole is. The broker made a big deal about this. I really didn't think it was a priority. The handyman replaced the sink basin but not the pop up drain. So now there is a new basin with an old beat up drain. He also installed the basin crooked. Like really really crooked. And he didn't seal it all the way around the basin. There is about an 8" section behind the faucet that has zero silicone sealant on it.

Two of the smoke detectors were beeping due to low batteries. All of the detectors are hardwired in but use batteries as backup. The broker was just going to leave and let me deal with it but I made him replace the batteries. Sorry but I shouldn't have to deal with that when I just moved in. Plus all the ceilings are 10 feet high. I don't have a ladder.

The fill valve in the toilet in the master bathroom shoots water out from under the tank lid and all over the wall. I told and showed the broker this when he was here. He said they would have to call a plumber(?) to get it replaced. Whatever. Just fix it. That was 19 days ago and it still has not been fixed. The broker shut the supply valve off. I have to use the guest bathroom which is at the other end of the house. I'm going to just replace this myself since it's super easy and I'm tired of waiting.

The appliances are older. The washing machine and dryer are probably 20 years old. The washing machine broke twice in the first week I was here. They dispatched an appliance repair guy to fix it. He is a good dude. The stove is a gas stove for some reason. I'm not really a fan of gas appliances but whatever. The left front burner does not light. The oven door has a replacement handle which is the wrong color. The hood light in the built in microwave is burned out and the fan does not work.

The house was full of ants when I moved in. They are little ants. Sugar ants maybe? I have found them in the kitchen, master bath and one of the bedrooms. The house is slab construction and they are coming up through the foundation and out the walls. It's super annoying. The property management company says that I am responsible for pest control. I have soaked everywhere in Home Defense but they keep showing up. It's annoying.

Did I mention that they keep removing my maintenance requests from their tenant portal? I have made 3 requests each for the toilet valve and the stove burner.

The property management company started hounding me about mowing the lawn 4 days after I moved in. Uh, why was this not taken care of before I got here? It looked like it had at least 2 weeks of growth when I moved in. I hired somebody to mow it since I don't have a mower yet.

I'm not impressed at all with these people. They are nice but useless. I'm leaving after my year lease is up. I'm not dealing with all of this E36 M3.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/19/19 4:16 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

Don’t give them a year.  The commute sucks anyway so go ahead and use their failures to break the lease early and rent something else.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/19/19 4:28 p.m.

I don’t know or care what most of you choose to believe but there is an assclown named Ken Ham polluting my state who is getting REAL berkeleying close to an unpleasant visit from me.

Apparently my ex’s new husband works for this nutsack and they have both subscribed to his claptrap BS wholeheartedly.  Again, shouldn’t be my problem.  BUT!  They have brainwashed my kids into it as well and with a fun twist, the kids have been instructed not to discuss it with me (because it’s all utterly indefensible BS) ostensibly so I don’t “pollute” their beliefs.

This isn’t meant to be a flounder nor do I wish to demean anyone’s belief system (except Ken Ham and his ilk, full offense intended there), but if you’re gonna espouse something like that, you best be willing and able to defend your position with something more than “I just believe it”.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/19/19 4:44 p.m.

Just looked him up. Yeah, serious rage is acceptable there. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/19/19 4:50 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

The Ark guy?  The one that sank a bunch of (not his) money into a replica Ark and then blamed everyone when it failed to do any of the things he promised?

He is so far from someone who actually is part of his chosen faith that it’s brain melting how anyone can fall for his shtick.

Did your ex get brain damage while she was getting her boobs upgraded?  Honestly, involving the kids and telling them to not discuss anything that is going on in their lives with their father is complete and utter BS.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/19/19 6:52 p.m.

I think the neighbor's dog farted so hard that I can smell it through the closed window.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
1/19/19 8:12 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Etsy is filled with Bill Nye t-shirts - just sayin.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/20/19 1:04 p.m.

what a berkeleying pain in the balls.  so admittedly i haven't picked up the ipad3 since sept. it seems.  in that time the wine mag i subscribe to has brought out a whole new app.  so i have about 3 years of mags to re-download and each one takes a considerable while and i'm sure a chunk of my 4g which is 'unlimited' until about 22gigs then it's 3/4g right at the start of the billing cycle.  hopefully it will only be tedious. no

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
1/20/19 1:18 p.m.

I don't know who is worse, Cable Companies and the like, or Cell Phone Service providers....

One line, One phone got it? Skip the up sell.No tablet, no car WiFi, no 5 lines, no I don't need to review the 4 other quotes. 1 phone, 1 line, please.

When I call and tell you that your online confirmation  is showing the wrong phone being ordered, correct it by canceling the wrong phone and getting the right one. Do not signing me up for an additional phone and additional line.

Not only that, when your coverage shows 4G Lte for my hose, my GFs house and miles around, I expect more that 1 bar of no Gs.

Come on Paul, can you hear me now?
Don't brag about your service  when its clearly not true, take note of Chevys current issues. You old employers service is shown af 4g Lte in my area and it is. Last rant, it also does not look like there will be any savings, even after I get the extra phone and line removed from my bill.

PS: I was typing this during hold sessions with the provider, where did the call end ? They want me to pay for 1 month of service on a line I don't have and never ordered and I should be happy it wont appear on my bill after that.

Not happening. They are now escalating again and I have to check back in 24 to 48 hours.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/20/19 2:56 p.m.

Apparently when your waiting for a consult with a back surgeon you shouldnt shovel snow. Ouch

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/20/19 5:25 p.m.

partly because the I don't want to see the Saints lose but mostly because the refs are fixing the game I stopped watching.  I'll watch the Pats game but if the Saints do lose I will be boycotting the SuperBowl despite the Rams having two LSU players. angry

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/20/19 5:28 p.m.

apparently my post was 22x666. surprise

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/20/19 5:33 p.m.

earlier this week a UPS guy knocks on the door hands me a piece of mail I wasn't expecting then bolts...hey, this isn't for me and yes dumbass he doesn't live in one of the other units but he takes it back.  next day there it is again.  berkeleyer.  well across from work by all of 40ft is a UPS.  Go in to drop it off and march out without saying anything and there's no-one at the counter so no muss no fuss.  wonder what they did with it.  I made sure to score out the name and my address well enough even though it was through a plastic wrap. indecision

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
1/20/19 7:02 p.m.

I am not a great fan of incompetence, and I am not an LS expert but this was listed in CL as an LS intake:

Remember, I'm not an expert but ALL LS motors were 4 bbl iirc.... wink

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/21/19 7:16 a.m.

Dang!  It's cold.  Thirteen degrees here in my part of central Virginia.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/21/19 7:42 a.m.

The local news sent a reporter to a Wilkes Barre parts store to do a story about how the deep freeze is hard on batteries.   Also they said you should wear a coat when you are outside because you can get frostbite. 

Now, Im not a native, Ive only lived in NEPA for a couple years, but every winter Ive been here it gets cold.  Surely this isnt breaking news.  I don't think we have had an influx of people moving to Scranton from Phoenix. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
1/21/19 8:10 a.m.
Duke said:

RIn reply to Mike :

Precisely why I don’t have a Reddit account. 5 different browsers across 3 different operating systems and all It succeeded in doing is creating a berked  up account that won’t log in but is valid enough to stop me from making a good one with my email address. 

I seem to be having the same problem with Hulu... tried signing up for their free trial month using the AppleTV when our OTA wasn't behaving properly and while I got the confirmation via Apple that we were subscribed, I can't log on to the account with any device to use the account.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/21/19 8:17 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
Duke said:

RIn reply to Mike :

Precisely why I don’t have a Reddit account. 5 different browsers across 3 different operating systems and all It succeeded in doing is creating a berked  up account that won’t log in but is valid enough to stop me from making a good one with my email address. 

I seem to be having the same problem with Hulu... tried signing up for their free trial month using the AppleTV when our OTA wasn't behaving properly and while I got the confirmation via Apple that we were subscribed, I can't log on to the account with any device to use the account.

It's the perfect business!

1) Sign up subscribers.

2) Collect moneys.

3) Provide absolutely nothing.

4) Profit!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/21/19 8:21 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Dang!  It's cold.  Thirteen degrees here in my part of central Virginia.

About the same here in the southern end of NJ. North of us got snow.. at least it is pretty. If it's going to be bitter cold, at least it can look nice.

With the cold I dread going to work. The back hallway behind the event centre is over the truck dock.. and not even the insulated part where the people actually load and unload trucks. Combine that with two freight elevators at the end of the hall that go all the way to street level and doors to the parking garage at the other.. it's not only a wind tunnel when the breezes pick up, but a COLD one. We were running a high powered electric heater in our control room yesterday just to keep it comfortable, today it will be running just to keep it livable

Ashyukun (Robert)
1/21/19 8:30 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Woke up to 4F here in central KY. 

Remotely associated rant: Looking ahead at the forecast for the week, they're clearly not going to do a lick of work on our cabin this week between the frigid temperatures and the rain/snow. It's doubtful that the digging company will be able to dig the trench for the electric since the electric company will probably not want them to with the chance of it the trench filling up with water before they get all the line run. We also have little doubt that there was nothing done last week either, despite there being several days when it would have been possible to do so. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/21/19 8:38 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

i posted a similar pic a few months ago when i did the brakes on my IT guy's 2011 WRX.

re. doing it for your sister because you share parents, consider instead that you did it for your parents.  might feel a little less abrasive in that light.  either way, you're a good man for fixing it.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
1/21/19 8:42 a.m.

It's cold and my Keurig isn't working.

Ashyukun (Robert)
1/21/19 8:43 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Except in at least my case, it won't net them any money because I'll simply cancel the subscription before we get charged for it. Admittedly that was what I figured I'd be doing from the get-go once we got the OTA behaving again, but if we'd been able to use it properly then at least we could have seen whether we thought having the extra content was worth keeping the subscription or not instead of just thinking it's useless and not ever looking at it again.

Admittedly, many people don't immediately set reminders to review a subscription for a few days before they'll get charged (and I didn't always do that, the apple watch has made things like that much easier). 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6gWpAKZa9Y2EIMFDtVpyJYUSs2baBvS78oNHP9MooVIv0zpVt8AiHHpkoKy4OTEL