wae
wae SuperDork
1/24/19 8:51 a.m.

Made it to Daytona without incident.  Ran out and bought a couple new batteries last night so that's finally taken care of.  But now for some reason the furnace doesn't seem to want to light and the fridge is complaining that it doesn't sense flame even though there's good flame. It was working fine until that giant thunderstorm this morning so I was hoping that once the rain stopped and it dried out everything would be good...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/19 9:41 a.m.
mad_machine said:

My new battery came last night, too late to install. It's warm outside, but pouring down rain.

Warm outside. Hahahahhahhaaha.  I remember that. 

wae
wae SuperDork
1/24/19 9:55 a.m.
wae said:

Made it to Daytona without incident.  Ran out and bought a couple new batteries last night so that's finally taken care of.  But now for some reason the furnace doesn't seem to want to light and the fridge is complaining that it doesn't sense flame even though there's good flame. It was working fine until that giant thunderstorm this morning so I was hoping that once the rain stopped and it dried out everything would be good...

Cancel rant.  I decided to try them both one more time before taking stuff apart.  Now everything is working.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/24/19 10:46 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Nothing happens on time in Florida, ask me how I know....

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
1/24/19 11:49 a.m.

My workload is quickly spiraling out of control.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/24/19 12:11 p.m.
Furious_E said:

My workload is quickly spiraling out of control.

Same here. And if my co-workers would actually do their berkeleying jobs like they're supposed to it would be a little more manageable. At this point I could sit back and watch the world burn.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/24/19 2:49 p.m.

The NIMBY's in my city have finally shown that they will never be appeased. A local church wants to renovate their campus with what would be the first new construction in our downtown area in decades. NOOOO!!!! We can't have change!!!! The church has bent over backwards trying to change their plans to make the shrieking harpies happy when they have zero legal obligation to do so. The other night the church plan was approved by P&Z and the very angry, hyper vocal circus of 12 people against it stormed out like angry children to bitch in the hallway outside.

I realized at that point for most of them the goal was never to reach any compromise, but to stop the project cold. That's not legal in any sort of fashion, but for some odd reason they think stomping around and yelling at people for hours gives them the right to decide how other people can use their property. I attended numerous meetings where these people would just start shouting over anyone they disagreed with, and then get mad that they weren't being heard when asked to respect everyone's speaking time. Last night I snapped and told the whole lot of them to screw off, and that I was done with their circus and its clowns. Small town city politics can be nasty.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/24/19 3:13 p.m.
slefain said:

The NIMBY's in my city have finally shown that they will never be appeased. A local church wants to renovate their campus with what would be the first new construction in our downtown area in decades. NOOOO!!!! We can't have change!!!! The church has bent over backwards trying to change their plans to make the shrieking harpies happy when they have zero legal obligation to do so. The other night the church plan was approved by P&Z and the very angry, hyper vocal circus of 12 people against it stormed out like angry children to bitch in the hallway outside.

I realized at that point for most of them the goal was never to reach any compromise, but to stop the project cold. That's not legal in any sort of fashion, but for some odd reason they think stomping around and yelling at people for hours gives them the right to decide how other people can use their property. I attended numerous meetings where these people would just start shouting over anyone they disagreed with, and then get mad that they weren't being heard when asked to respect everyone's speaking time. Last night I snapped and told the whole lot of them to screw off, and that I was done with their circus and its clowns. Small town city politics can be nasty.

Before my mom retired, she worked at a Nursing home as the Director of Activities. It was a great place, they really cared for and took care of their clients. It was also owned by the hospital next door, so if anything happened, the ER was 2 minutes away if you walked there.

The hospital wanted to expand the Nursing Home's facilities, add more beds, bring in rehab work, and double their staff. Five times they brought their plans to the city only to have them shot down. The city was not about to let them expand at any cost. The hospital shrugged their shoulders, closed the nursing home and bulldozed it. Now it is an empty field in an area that really needs businesses and parking, but because the city wouldn't budge, they lost all the tax income from the residents and the people who worked there.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/19 3:54 p.m.

Way too much to do.  Way too little time, interest, or motivation.

And I'm sick.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/24/19 4:02 p.m.
mad_machine said:
slefain said:

Before my mom retired, she worked at a Nursing home as the Director of Activities. It was a great place, they really cared for and took care of their clients. It was also owned by the hospital next door, so if anything happened, the ER was 2 minutes away if you walked there.

The hospital wanted to expand the Nursing Home's facilities, add more beds, bring in rehab work, and double their staff. Five times they brought their plans to the city only to have them shot down. The city was not about to let them expand at any cost. The hospital shrugged their shoulders, closed the nursing home and bulldozed it. Now it is an empty field in an area that really needs businesses and parking, but because the city wouldn't budge, they lost all the tax income from the residents and the people who worked there.

Meanwhile the people who stonewalled the expansion are likely patting themselves on the back with how the "protected" the city. When the millage rate goes up due to lower tax collections they will be the same people screaming at the next city meeting. We've voted out most of the "old guard" in city council so things are finally getting done around here, but several members of the now deposed "old guard" have taken up the mantra of "NO" for anything that may change the city. There's been more accomplished in the last 8 years than the previous 25 put together, but all they can do is bitch. Some have threatened to move because they don't like the way things are evolving, to which I say "Bye Felicia!"

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
1/24/19 6:15 p.m.

Politics, in the office.

No, we don't agree...that's fine.

So why in the everloving berk do you guys keep trying to lecture me about it?

I need a job where I work from home.  DESPERATELY.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
1/25/19 8:19 a.m.

In reply to Tactical Penguin :

We have one very political guy in the office. I just like pushing his buttons...

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
1/25/19 9:25 a.m.
mtn said:

Dammit. I just agreed to do a triathlon. What the hell was I thinking? I ain't no athlete; I'm a hockey player.

A friend of mine did one last fall. Except his was 9 holes of golf, a game of bowling and an 8-Ball tournament.

He said it was grueling!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
1/25/19 9:27 a.m.

Trying to help my nephew with getting a beater so he can work farther than walking distance from where he lives.  Dude has no patience, it’s a 29 year old car that hasn’t run in 5 years owned by one friend, and we need the assistance of another friend (and his shop space) to haul it off and work on it indoors in the winter.  Nephew has a hard time understanding that this is going to take a while, as we’re all adults with full time jobs and other responsibilities, and aren’t going to drop everything to cater to this.  Not to mention this is being done to allow him to have a chance to dig himself out of the hole he has dug by being so impatient in general...

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/25/19 10:03 a.m.

Ask ebay seller a few detailed questions about vehicle.

Seller: "No issues. Only surface discoloration in the rear but no rot at all."

DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTIONS! 

I swear it's like sellers actively try to get people to NOT bid on things.   

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/25/19 10:39 a.m.

Referral too the back surgeon finally approved. Closest opening is Feb 25th. Well berkeley 

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
1/25/19 10:22 p.m.

There's something really great about sitting in a theater built before WW2. the seats are definitely not that part, not when everyone around you is my size or bigger

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/26/19 12:59 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to Tactical Penguin :

We have one very political guy in the office. I just like pushing his buttons...

we have one too.. and he won't shut up.. like ever. I swear he talks in his sleep

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/26/19 9:38 a.m.

ABS light is on in the truck, then the check engine light for lean bank one. ABS is easy but 100$ to fix known sensor issue. But the P0171 code repair for the leaking elbow that is causing my lean condition starts with .

(go to page 172, remove entire supercharger assembly and intake before beginning)

wae
wae SuperDork
1/26/19 11:57 a.m.

Dear Mr Craigslist responder,

The local junkyards want $75 each for just the front seats so my price of $150 for front and back is not "left field".  I've got half a mind to call you back and tell you that you were right and my price was wrong and now it's $200.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/26/19 8:28 p.m.

started died in the Disco today. I think driving it for the past 5 months on a dying battery was taxing it. I do not mind, the truck has 112,000 miles on it. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, it's an easy job. The trouble is the Truck is at work in the parking garage and I had to take a taxi home. Tomorrow I get to back with the Abarth, fix it, and then find a way back to work Monday to bring it home.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/27/19 3:19 p.m.

There have been eleven 9-13 year old girls in my house for my daughter's birthday party. 

Im pretty sure that an uncorked ported rotary at 11k through a megaphone is quieter. My ears are bleeding. 

Its also obvious what different behavior standards are considered appropriate between different homes. 

Sweet jesus, we're renting the skating rink next time. And im editing the guest list. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/27/19 3:22 p.m.

Just went to look at a project car.  95 answer with nice seats and wheels.  And literally nothing else going for it.  Rusty quarters, trashed roof, open diff, and a blown motor.  He’d take a grand for it which is really just a part-out effort at this point.   

My rant is that I WANT to rescue old Miatas but they need to have something going for them.  This one though.....the rust was the real killer.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
1/27/19 4:49 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I love the dead bungee cord dangling from the front wheel. Just in case you weren't sure about the level of "bleh."

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/27/19 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Actually those are fair.  The top is so utterly trashed that he keeps a tarp over the car to keep the rain out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ziiu6i0MXZVT5g1crL5UZFHGmizT5iJ0pAfJa08zomIXT72IVaMrTaC7exP8BQYx