RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
5/17/19 3:45 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Unbeknownst to me, this horse race bullE36 M3 is a 2 day affair. I found this out 2 hours into the ride down last night. 

It's ok though, they're only charging $4 per 16 ounce bottle of water. After the $200 tickets to sit in plastic folding chairs on asphalt with a 3 second view of the horses.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/17/19 3:59 p.m.

The Miata is strangely down on power and the boost gauge is reading kind of funky. Not sure if I have belt slip, or a boost leak somewhere, or if the gauge is just making me think that its down on power. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/17/19 4:26 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

IIRC this is most of why Euro automakers don't bother with boost gauges, or if they do it is a unitless unit.  Boost pressure is variable enough by design that they'd have to explain why their engine ran 15psi last week but 12psi now that a different weather front rolled in.

Assuming that they didn't run the gauge on absolute bar like Audi and Porsche did.  That would crack me up - "My 944 runs 2 BAR of BOOST!"  No, it runs 2 bar of manifold pressure...

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/18/19 5:44 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Well, there was definitely something wrong because I fired the car up this morning to go to a Cars & Coffe and the blower belt disintegrated

imgon
imgon HalfDork
5/18/19 6:01 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Bummer, I guess at least you know there is a problem now. Hope it is not too big a problem. Good luck

wae
wae SuperDork
5/18/19 8:36 a.m.

I just found out that a guy I know fairly well just bought a new tire machine and wants to sell his old one.  If I had gotten started on my part-out a couple months ago, back when I said I was going to I'd probably have the money in the shop fund to buy that by now, but as it is I'm going to have to pass.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/18/19 9:19 p.m.

I knew it was going to happen. Anybody who goes on vacation gets punished. 7am on my first day back

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
5/18/19 9:23 p.m.
mad_machine said:

I knew it was going to happen. Anybody who goes on vacation gets punished. 7am on my first day back

I had this flag hanging up in my office before I separated from the military:

My leadership did not really approve of it for some reason devil

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
5/18/19 9:29 p.m.
stanger_missle said:
stanger_missle said:

I didn't realize until after I got home and opened the package that I bought Micro2 fuses instead of Mini. That's what I get for not paying attention.

Dammit frown

Amazon to the rescue! For $9, I bought a 120 piece mini fuse kit that came with a nice little carrying case compared to the $5.99 5 piece pack I bought yesterday at the local AdvanceZone Parts. Even got free 1 day shpping. Now my A/C works again in my Transit Connect. I replaced the fuses that was previously occupied by 2 Add-A-Fuses powering some sort of fleet management GPS dongle. Success!

Ugh, why does the A/C smell so berkeleying terrible?! I should check the cabin air filter.

surprise

Wow, thats pretty disgusting. Not only was the filter BLACK but the compartment that holds the filter was packed with leaves and detritus. Huh, that explains why I found like 30 Little Tree air fresheners when I pulled the interior out. Lets not fix the issue, just mask it sad.

Seriously, a new cabin air filter was like $9.

New vs old:

Now the A/C doesn't smell like rubbing your face on a wet dog that rolled in a cow patty. It's actually startling how much better the air smells coming out of the vents.

Change your cabin air filters people!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/18/19 9:35 p.m.

You assume the heaps we drive have them.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
5/18/19 9:40 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

Hopped in an uber yesterday, dude had about 100 of those damn smell good trees hanging from the wiper stalk in his jeep. All I could think about was your post about the cabin filter.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
5/18/19 9:45 p.m.
Appleseed said:

This is the newest and nicest vehicle I have ever owned. And its a 4 year old, bare bones cargo minivan cheeky

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/18/19 11:07 p.m.

Dude has been here twice to pick up C4 parts so I figure he’s OK.  We agree on $40 for another part, but I’m not gonna be home so I leave it outside my garage with a chunk of 2x4 to put the $ under.  I just got home.  Part is gone but there’s only $20.  Texted WTF, no reply.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
5/19/19 7:58 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/19/19 11:47 p.m.

berkeley deceptive gas station marquees. What looks like $0.20 cheaper is actually $0.10 MORE than the last gas station, but you get a sub-par car wash that beats the E36 M3 out of your paint job. I actually drove back to the first gas station out of spite because at least they were honest about screwing me.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/20/19 12:38 a.m.
Appleseed said:

It seems like the only cars made in the last 15  years that aren't guaranteed to have them are Big 3.

I think they've been standard on Hondas for 20 years now.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
5/20/19 6:50 a.m.
mad_machine said:

Don't forget the "use it or lose it" vacation policy. Meanwhile your manager chides you for having vacation time left at the end of the year, while simultaneously denying all your vacation requests during the year due to it "not being a good time".

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
5/20/19 2:14 p.m.

My phone will usually do me two days on a charge. I'm ok wth that. Downloaded Runescape because nostalgia and nope. This app is a battery whore. 10% life left after about 40 minutes.

*edit maybe this should be a first world problems rant...

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/20/19 2:16 p.m.

OSHA 10 Hour Training. 

And you wonder why I stuck you so bad on the price. 

This complete waste of my time is why. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
5/20/19 3:19 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

That filter is a lot better than what I found when the wife said the car smelled funny suddenly. A momma-mouse with 3 babies hanging on were staring back at me from the filter slot. They had made it their new home and remodeled the filter significantly. I did not take pictures, just straight into the trash bag.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/20/19 3:47 p.m.

Been suffering from unspecified joint aches since my last gout attack and just feeling overall like E36 M3 warmed over and constantly exhausted for months now.

The good news is, I tested negative for Lyme disease. The bad news, I really want a nap right now and am so looking forward to a bunch of 12-15h work days for the next three days.

I'm beginning to wonder if the doc who thinks that part of it might be stress related (trying to avoid the "b" word) is onto something, but I'm too tired to even rant about it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/20/19 3:59 p.m.

OK, minor rant to go with the above - I have a Ranger Quickjack in the garage and am too berkeleying exhausted to put it together.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
5/20/19 5:38 p.m.

Why is the dialog on the show I'm watching so quiet I can't hear it, followed by COMMERCIALS THAT ARE SO FREAKING LOUD THEY DAMAGE MY HEARING!?!?!??!

-Also: Get off my lawn.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/20/19 8:01 p.m.

It's damn fun when somebody leaves the drill we use to run bolts into the fixture plates with the clutch locked and you don't check for it because there is no reason to have it set like that. So when you expect it to slip when the bolt gets tight it instead tries to spin around and break your wrist. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
5/20/19 8:09 p.m.
kazoospec said:

Why is the dialog on the show I'm watching so quiet I can't hear it, followed by COMMERCIALS THAT ARE SO FREAKING LOUD THEY DAMAGE MY HEARING!?!?!??!

-Also: Get off my lawn.

FCC made that "against the rules" in 2012. Specific part of FCC website. File a complaint with them. Since it's not technically against the "law" I don't know what good it will do, but you're much more educated on that than I am. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D2zlJDq7fXUHe4TYNUbza1OdWJtUlOU3bGQaLxCG7irYXi9sryWZSxguJKR5hTd9