Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/24/19 8:30 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

That’s one thing I hate dealing with are bad/no bathrooms. We should be far enough into the future that it’s not an issue but most of the time I decide where to go to lunch based on a place’s bathroom.  My wife laughs at me for going to Subway almost weekly even though I don’t like it just because they have a clean bathroom and they let my drivers use it at the end of their trips so I buy my lunch there and bring them a bag of tp, towels and soap every so often.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/25/19 5:52 a.m.

Vans is now selling slip ons in a proper red color. Racing Red as it turns out. That makes me happy and a pair is on the way. I love red shoes. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
8/25/19 4:00 p.m.

Autocross day.  65 drivers and I managed 12th raw,  6th PAX, and a win in my class (STR).   Only one dude managed to go faster on street tires than me (0.302 of a second).

Next year when I put the Hoosiers on I’m gonna whoop some serious tail!

pkingham
pkingham Reader
8/25/19 6:07 p.m.

The two people in my life who humor my car hobby working on cars in the shop. I broke a rib so my wife is helping on one of the Formula Fords in the background. My daughter is changing the oil on the Miata of which she is a third owner. She is going to the Secretary of State tomorrow to get her learner’s permit. The dog is just supervising. 

Mike
Mike SuperDork
8/28/19 5:24 p.m.

New ride: I just bought a Penny Nickel board. First skateboard ever. They even had the colorway I wanted.

Anyhow, gotta head outside now.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/29/19 10:18 a.m.

About 2.5 years ago, my wife quit teaching. A job she loved, but the school she was at was killing her. We tightened our belts, trimmed the fat from the budget, and made it work. About a year in, she finally got peace. Doing cleaning jobs with a woman from church, mom and wife stuff, girlscout leader. But she had lost her sense of self and was struggling. I never said a word, and NEVER complained about pullingextra hours at work or money. My wife is more important than me. 

About a week ago, my sister in law mentioned that the school she works at (where my daughter goes and my wife volunteered last year) needs a first grade teacher. Unbeknownst to me (i was autocrossing) my wife told her she was interested in teaching first grade. When i got home from the track, dhe had a fire in her eye i hadn't seen in a while. She filled out all the paperwork, did the interview, and then crickets. 

She just called me. Tild me she got the job. Shes so excited she's giddy. Its AWESOME seeing her like this. The senae of direction is back. 

And I'll have to admit, an extra grand a month wont piss me off. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/29/19 11:00 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

And I'll have to admit, an extra grand a month wont piss me off. 

because that's at least $1500 a month in additional car money!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/29/19 11:12 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Not sur i follow your math, but i won't complain if its right 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
8/29/19 4:34 p.m.

I'm grilling burgers.

That's enough of a win in my book.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/30/19 9:48 a.m.

Girl slept in her own bed last night! Thats enough of a win that I cant even complain that I didn't sleep. Woot! 

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
8/30/19 10:01 a.m.

We installed an IKEA kitchen about eight years ago. The white cabinet fronts have begun to yellow. IKEA offers a 25 year guarantee but they’ve changed cabinet styles and the new doors don’t fit the old cabinets. 

We heard back from their claims department and they’ve approved a whole new replacement kitchen. 

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
8/30/19 10:04 a.m.

Its Friday.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/30/19 10:27 a.m.

Four day weekend.  

Scored a $475 GM tonneau cover for my truck for $120.00 off Craigslist so I get to hang out in the garage.

My birthday this weekend so I get to pick a dinner to go to.  

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
8/30/19 1:36 p.m.

We've been working on getting a lot of the bookkeeping stuff for the cabin taken care of with it seemingly approaching being finished, and to our surprise our primary insurance company is actually going to write the policy for the cabin themselves instead of us having to go through one of their partner companies (which would pretty certainly be more costly). We were certain with it being available for short-term rental most of the time that they wouldn't do it since they don't normally insure commercial properties, but apparently ours still fits within what they'll do (and I was as honest as I could be with my answers to their questions about it- obvoiusly had to guess, and said as much, regarding how frequently it would actually get rented and such).

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
8/30/19 2:39 p.m.

EDIT: I had a beer. It was a good beer, but I had no idea how giant the picture from my phone would wind up.

Felt weird about my minor win being a ridiculously overbearing pic of a beer, so now there's just this slightly awkward text.

Had a good day, though. My wife's frantic job allowed her to actually weekend this time and I got to hang out with her today. And I got the giant hedges trimmed.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/30/19 3:37 p.m.

I'm going karting tomorrow laugh

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
8/30/19 4:14 p.m.

Caught a Craigslist ad for two pairs of skis for free.  10 minutes from work, and I get off in an hour.  To my surprise the guy actually answers my email.  Score!

Show up and the neighbors are on the front porch.  As we load the skis he tells his neighbor he's just trying to empty the garage and he hasn't been skiing in years.

Neighbor thinks for a second and asks "You want a chainsaw?  I haven't used it since I got my electric."

You know I want a chainsaw.

It's no Stihl, but it fired on the third pull.  Time to go cut some E36 M3 to celebrate.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/30/19 4:36 p.m.

I had to renew my tags today for both motorcycles, the $1200 Miata, the Big Ugly Truck for Towing, the Neon GLH DRT-4, as well as the 3 months delinquent tags on the Three Pedal Minivan.  I arrived at the courthouse to celebrate the monthly meeting of Procrastinators United (motto: Hooray for tomorrow!) but forgot everything but my checkbook.  I had to wait in line for under about 5 minutes and the lady behind the counter was sympathetic to my plight and helped me find all the tags in the system and get them renewed.  Took about 20 minutes total from getting out of the car to getting back in to the car with all six renewal stickers in hand.  Maybe we just do things differently around here, but I have never understood the whole "going to the DMV" schtick.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/30/19 4:49 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Same here.  I am usually in and out in a couple minutes (giggity) unless I decide to go a half hour before closing on Saturday, which is a recipe for failure.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
8/30/19 6:00 p.m.

I'm reliably pushing off regular and getting both feet on the skateboard and turned.

Seems little saying it out loud, but I've been at it over and over again for two days. It's definitely a minor win. 

Not sure if I'm particularly bad at this or all of the instructional videos just condense this part.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
8/30/19 7:37 p.m.
wae said:

I had to renew my tags today for both motorcycles, the $1200 Miata, the Big Ugly Truck for Towing, the Neon GLH DRT-4, as well as the 3 months delinquent tags on the Three Pedal Minivan.  I arrived at the courthouse to celebrate the monthly meeting of Procrastinators United (motto: Hooray for tomorrow!) but forgot everything but my checkbook.  I had to wait in line for under about 5 minutes and the lady behind the counter was sympathetic to my plight and helped me find all the tags in the system and get them renewed.  Took about 20 minutes total from getting out of the car to getting back in to the car with all six renewal stickers in hand.  Maybe we just do things differently around here, but I have never understood the whole "going to the DMV" schtick.

What. State. Are. You in?

DMV is considered a four letter word around here. (even though the people That work there are really nice) laugh

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/30/19 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

I won't speak for Bill's experience in the Bluegrass State, but in Ohio the BMVs have express lines.  If you are registering two or fewer cars, you just go into the express line instead of taking a number.  The locations are generally well-staffed too relative to the size.  (The tiny one a block from my house usually has 2 or 3 people, the larger one that I normally go to because it was near where I worked usually had 6 or 7 minimum)

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
8/31/19 7:38 p.m.

Sometimes really simple things make an awesome meal.

Dinner tonight was freshly shredded skin on potatoes (attachment for the stand mixer makes that easy, shredded several and froze for later), pan fried in butter and olive oil, poached an egg on top, salt, pepper and added a slice of cheese.   Might have also dusted it with a little shredded asiago I found in the fridge.

Damn, that was tasty.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/31/19 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Yep, I'm in Kentucky.  They've got the whole process somewhat decentralized with each county clerk's office responsible for processing the title and registration work, so maybe some counties aren't so great.  While I was in there, I even overheard an interaction with another customer who came in to transfer a car in from out of state without having anything notarized.  Not only did the lady helping her explain what had to be notarized, she also went over all the other paperwork telling the customer that she wanted to make sure that they would have everything they needed the next time they came in.  

That's not to say I haven't had some long wait times before.  I was in on New Year's Eve a decade or so ago to renew a personalized plate.  The line basically filled the halls of the courthouse and there had to have been 150 people in there.  After some quick math, I decided to pay the delinquency tax rate of another dollar and a half and just come back later.

Today's minor win:  After church, I took my girls to Kroger and we got ground beef, buns, bacon, some cheese, a couple cans of hominy, lettuce, tomato, and some baked beans.  When we got home, all three kids pitched in and we made the best bacon cheeseburger dinner I've had in ages.  And then the kids did the majority of the clean-up work.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/31/19 10:00 p.m.

Front water spigot starts dripping so I take it apart and stop at Home Depot and Menards only to be given new $35 spigots that will be a pain to replace. 

This lady at Ace Hardware shows me the replacement washer I need and I buy a second one for the back faucet. She was knowledgeable and helpful.  It made my day and I was back in business in 10 minutes.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j3Pfko3o5HWRXPYXechsxW1leNoORnj91PQTM4aN7gNCmlc3peDZ2EmmKDGXgobJ