Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
5/25/21 12:25 p.m.

I finally have confirmation that the passport processing center received my passport renewal application, or at least enough of it to put it in the system. (I've been worrying about the fact that I didn't add extra tape over the self-adhesive envelope flap, on top of just worrying about arrival)

When you tell someone "Don't worry for up to four weeks after mailing a thing" then the fifth and sixth weeks become a bit nervous.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/25/21 6:48 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to 11GTCS :

Have you been to a small downtown with a small downtown vibe? Those streets are berkeleyed up. laugh

I’ve spent a lot of time in Boston because work.   Many now quite major routes started out as colonial era paths.  So yeah, I’m very familiar with streets that are wicked berkeleyed up.  cheeky

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/26/21 4:32 a.m.

My Rock Auto package arrived with extra magnets!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/26/21 7:52 a.m.

Somehow I'm being promoted and given a raise. Against my will. 

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
5/26/21 9:08 a.m.

Acknowledgement from seven year old who got a birthday ride in the i8!

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/26/21 11:02 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Congrats?

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
5/26/21 11:26 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I've found that when I try to get something I can't get it. The second I say berkeley it and quit trying it lands in my lap. It happened when I met my wife. It's also happened at work. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/26/21 12:48 p.m.
CAinCA said:
Mndsm said:

I've found that when I try to get something I can't get it. The second I say berkeley it and quit trying it lands in my lap. It happened when I met my wife. It's also happened at work. 

I've been actively turning it down for the better part of two years. I didn't want that level of responsibility. I went so far as to push several people in front of me for it, despite being heavily overqualified. Apparently they're out of options. At least I get new shirts. 

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
5/26/21 2:28 p.m.
Mndsm said:
CAinCA said:
Mndsm said:

I've been actively turning it down for the better part of two years. I didn't want that level of responsibility. I went so far as to push several people in front of me for it, despite being heavily overqualified. Apparently they're out of options. At least I get new shirts. 

Oh damn! Thanks for reminding me. I need to ask for some swag when I get my next promotion. LOL!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
5/26/21 3:51 p.m.

My job has 12 weeks of paid family leave available, but it has taken to be taken 5 days at a time. I took 4 weeks out of the first 8 we had my daughter home, but there was a ton going on at work and it was hard to get away. 

I have 8weeks left and have approval to take them continuously from beginning of July to end of August! Whoo!

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/26/21 5:39 p.m.

Ok, ok I know I’ve been carrying on about this but one last minor win:  The graduate and his 15 year old Focus ZX3 made it from Texas and arrived in Vermont about an hour ago.  Zero issues on the trip other than some shenanigans in the parking lot of one of the hotels the night before last ( nothing involving him or the car).  1,800 plus miles in 4 days, the car rolled past 170K on the trip.  He’s unloading it into his new apartment now and his parents are wicked relieved! laugh    I’ll be heading up to see him Friday morning with a load of stuff.  Life is good!

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
5/26/21 6:21 p.m.

Ziggy still exists.  And every one of his syndicated comics is online.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
5/26/21 6:42 p.m.

My buddy gave me his fiance's old washer and dryer. They are 5 year old Samsung appliances. The washer/dryer in my house are over 15 years old and are held together with tape and chewing gum. In the first 4 months of living here, the washer broke 3 times, forcing me to wash my work clothes in the bathtub. The owner will not pay to have them fixed again.

Let's hope these don't amount to owning a cheap Porsche surprise

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/26/21 6:45 p.m.

Ive sold three sets of wheels in the last 10 days. Ive found the unobtainium set ive been looking for, grm arranged pickup and a relay to me!!!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
5/26/21 7:43 p.m.

Monday the garage door decided to fail.  Loudly and dramatically ripped two of the self tapping bolts out of the pivot mount.

So tonight after work I cut a couple of pieces of 1/8" steel and fabricated a sandwich plate.

Tested it and it's smoother and better than ever.  Yay for the free fix!

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/26/21 8:10 p.m.

I have back and neck pain. I'm pretty annoyed with how little treatment I've been able to get for it. About two hours ago, I was holding my head up and talking when something popped. It actually felt like my neck was rotating around a different point for half a second. And... My neck doesn't hurt. It doesn't sound like a foley artist breaking a celery plant when I look around. Is this how you people move around the world? Holy crap. I'm trying to not move it too much so it doesn't pop back.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/26/21 8:16 p.m.

Sweet Impreza on the road by my work.   Cheered me up after work since I'm not taking my vacation day tomorrow and I'm going to work instead.  

Had the window open and I told the guy it was a really nice car.   

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/26/21 8:38 p.m.
Mndsm said:

This is mostly how I ended up in management 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/26/21 8:49 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:
Mndsm said:

This is mostly how I ended up in management 

That appears where I'm headed. I've read the tea leaves and smelled the wind. I've heard enough rumors that have legs to indicate a massive (relatively speaking) managerial shift is coming, along with a new store, and I already know the short list of all the people they want there. 

The hilarious part is my gm came up to me today and the approach was akin to "give me your E36 M3 and get out" but the delivery was " I'm giving you a set of store keys and a raise". And then there was discussion of more raises. Idk. I was actively looking for jobs somewhere in a hole at Disney. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/27/21 4:08 p.m.

God this place. Now the two people who are suppose to be in charge are stick fighting (with no encouragement by me, of course. Definitely didn't hand them the sticks) and it's keeping me entertained. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
5/27/21 6:25 p.m.

I'm going to need to seat the crown race on the new fork for my road bike. I don't do it often, so I don't want to shell out for a Park or similar tool.

So I found a model on Thingiverse and printed one.

This may be the most practical object I've printed so far. I haven't actually used it yet, so I don't want to celebrate prematurely, but it looks like it's going to work nicely.

Entering the era of calling practical objects into existence in my own home is pretty rad.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/27/21 8:44 p.m.

Tweaked the timing in the truck by four degrees. Trying to regain some of the power and economy i lost with the 4l80e and 1 ton computer swap.

Wow did it wake up the truck! No ill effects that i can see so far, but i want to put a tank or two of gas through before any more changes.

Best part: one lunch break of work. While eating. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/28/21 12:25 p.m.

Wednesday, our daughter had 2 poopy diapers at daycare. Yesterday, she was at home, and had no poopy diapers. Today, she's at daycare, and has had 2 poopy diapers. 

This is what we're paying for!

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/28/21 1:44 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

Entering the era of calling practical objects into existence in my own home is pretty rad.

In the middle of a clutch replacement on the Miata last weekend, the super-cheap clutch alignment tool broke.  Thingaverse to the rescue, and a couple hours later, we had a perfect, stronger replacement.  We also thought it was a cool win to be able to do that at home.

Something to file away for future reference:  there is a Thingaverse design for a parameterized clutch alignment tool which should make it pretty easy to do this for any car.  For the Miata, someone had already done the parameterization and posted the final result, which is what we used, so I haven't personally tried it.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
5/28/21 3:44 p.m.

I just scored a coffee date with a woman that I have been talking with online. It's been nearly 7 months since I last had a date (she was nice but we didn't mesh at all).

I've been single for a looooong time. Hopefully this will help my self confidence.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
osVmsxXw0ovjUOcqXg9nVdedOX1rwjhvd4AGpTjzodZ1CpIpPq1DkaiFfqpNcOVR