Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
10/14/21 12:33 a.m.
Duke said:

Dude, some time in the future when you really need it, come back and re-read your response above, and remember that your spirit is berking indomitable.

100% this. Wally, you're an amazing fella.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/14/21 7:39 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

I put on a good show. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/15/21 5:27 p.m.

Bad:  I can't go to the challenge during my week long vacation

Win:  I can't go because my very unhealthy cat continues to defy the odds, and I get to hang out with him next week.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/16/21 4:53 p.m.

Win: despite my rule to not work on daily drivers, I managed to fix the air suspension issue on my wife's Range Rover. Well, so far - one of the air springs was airing down, but the last time I had that looked at, the shop told me that it's not leaking air fast enough for them to diagnose it. Last weekend I diagnosed it (bad airbag, duh), ordered replacement parts from the UK on Sunday (both front air springs plus assorted small junk) and fitted them today. Not bad given that the lead time for the air springs alone from US suppliers was 2-3 weeks.

Bad: I took it for a test drive, noticed that it felt like it had a low rpm misfire and then the check engine light came on with all the misfire codes frown. And one that I find more concerning - a pending code from the BECM about a potential keyfob issue. If that goes from pending to real code, we have a real problem as amongst other things, replacement keyfobs for these are unobtaniums and we only have one key.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/16/21 5:18 p.m.

It was early fall last year when I visited the cabinet shop with the little lady.   All I have left is paint.

The biggest headache was the contractor who told me to gut the kitchen then called to say later he needed another 2-3 months at his current project.  So we became the general.   

Happy wife, happy life and in the end you wouldn't use that 240Z every day, so she tells me.  

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
10/17/21 6:08 p.m.

I went and looked at the ND2 Miata today that a friend of a friend is selling. Poly Metal Grey  Club with the Brembo/Recaro package. Lots of goodies; Titan 7 wheels, Yokohama ADVAN A052s, JDL header, full OS Giken exhaust and BC Racing coilovers. The car only has 3,255 miles on it and includes all the stock parts plus an extra set of 949 Racing wheels with new tires. I told the guy I would give him every cent of his asking price. He told me that he considers the car sold to me. Now I just have to wait for my credit union to pay off the lien and transfer the title to them. I'm like a kid on Christmas who must wait to open their presents until their relatives arrive.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/17/21 6:41 p.m.

Nice Miata.  

Envious.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/17/21 6:43 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Nice Miata.  

Envious.  

Very nice!  Also envious.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/17/21 7:54 p.m.

Successful round trip and much fun was had at the LSSU Family Weekend in Sault Ste Marie MI.

And bonus meet-up with the in-laws in Mackinac City on the way home today.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/17/21 8:04 p.m.

Minor win.

Fought up from 9th place Saturday morning (first three runs) to 8th place Saturday afternoon (second three runs) to 4th place on Sunday, setting fastest individual time on Sunday in the process.

John England looked at me goggle-eyed when I came back to grid and yelled "Where was that???"  I dunno man, but I am glad I found it!

Clawing up to 4th feels better than sliding down to 4th, I tell ya.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/18/21 8:48 p.m.

nicer than expected!

And stupid cheap.

Also, i sold the old wheels and tires from the miata today for $75 less than I spent on the new setup. WINNING. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
10/19/21 7:58 a.m.

I recently accepted what I consider to be my semi retirement job, and had my three month review, something they take very seriously here, last Friday.

In accepting this job, I made the conscious decision to slow down and ease into retirement, which I definitely have done.  So I really had no idea how it was going to go, but was fully prepared to see that decision reflected in my review.

I was really surprised to hear him say, you have exceeded expectation in every category. I hope you find this increase acceptable.

When my apprentice asked how it went...  He said I shouldn't be working so hard, and I should let the apprentice carry more of the workload cheeky

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
10/20/21 4:53 p.m.

Pretty much since I started going to the chiropractor they've pushed getting my feet scanned to see if I need orthopedic insoles/shoes. Um, I already know the answer: yes- I have solidly flat feet... even if I didn't have a former ballet dancer for a wife who as a result knows a lot about foot physiology it's pretty obvious that my arches are mostly shot. But, since the scan is free, I said 'Sure'. Surprise- I have very flat feet, so they give me the spiel for the company they work with. Insoles- of pretty much any variety- are $300 for the first one, and they have a 'deal' where you get a second for only $99. 

So I ordered two arch-supporting insoles, a pair of orthopedic sandals and a pair of orthopedic loafers from Amazon for $99 instead.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/20/21 5:08 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Pretty much since I started going to the chiropractor they've pushed getting my feet scanned to see if I need orthopedic insoles/shoes. Um, I already know the answer: yes- I have solidly flat feet... even if I didn't have a former ballet dancer for a wife who as a result knows a lot about foot physiology it's pretty obvious that my arches are mostly shot. But, since the scan is free, I said 'Sure'. Surprise- I have very flat feet, so they give me the spiel for the company they work with. Insoles- of pretty much any variety- are $300 for the first one, and they have a 'deal' where you get a second for only $99. 

So I ordered two arch-supporting insoles, a pair of orthopedic sandals and a pair of orthopedic loafers from Amazon for $99 instead.

I have flat feet too and there's a heel cup that is great and about $6 on Amazon.

When I'm home I'll take a pic of them

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/21/21 12:29 p.m.

My awful neighbor finally burned his last bridge in the neighborhood and put his house up for sale this past weekend. Given the market, he's already in contract. My life is going to get measurably better.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
10/22/21 6:46 p.m.

I've got electrons in the new shop.

(Yes, the light installed there works, too, but it's less picturesque.)

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/22/21 6:54 p.m.

I spent 6 hours on the dyno with my RX7 today. Picked up 10hp. Got some info and advice on building a new header. Supposedly worth another 10hp. I am calling it a productive day.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/22/21 6:56 p.m.

Found a DEM that might be compatible with my Volvo for 10% of what that Canadian company charges for a rebuild.  It's from the same year and trim level, so from what I understand it should work.  If nothing else, I have something to plug the hole so I can keep driving the car in case I do have to send my DEM out for rebuild.

So there I was on the way home from work, after blasting past my bonus minimum by 60% this week, in a sleek, unassuming land missile, seat heaters set to max, listening to "Misery Machine" at sound levels that were a complete gut punch, with no distortion or otherwise lack of clarity, and it was like it was the first time I'd ever heard, felt it.  The drums, the heavily distorted guitars....  Hard to describe.  Still coming down from the thrashfest that was the prep for Nationals, need a catharsis.

Also, a rare Lake Cities (not Atkins) intake manifold arrived today.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/24/21 3:35 p.m.

Found an extra GRM sticker in some files I had from my old truck. Going to go on the new DD. 

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
10/24/21 5:14 p.m.

Sold the 70 truck c4 from my engine donor 3 days after posting it for sale. Guy showed up on time, knew what he was looking at and as a bonus showed me pictures of his cool project. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/25/21 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Here you go Robert, these are great although they are now 8 bucks lol

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
10/25/21 6:46 p.m.

It's a win and loss but used bicycles are finally dropping in price again!  Picked up a parts bike for 30 bucks today that had brand new tires on it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/25/21 7:25 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

I've got electrons in the new shop.

(Yes, the light installed there works, too, but it's less picturesque.)

Hey, is that a Therma Tru door?  Im in the market for a new front door in about that style.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
10/25/21 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Why yes, yes it is!

We have a couple more that are mostly one big pane of glass we put in during the renovation of the new house a couple of years ago. While I'm a sucker for a nice wooden door, these are quite nice, and a whole lot cheaper and less concerning for durability. And more efficient.

On the off chance it's useful, the "similar" doors we were looking at were pulled from this search and we ended up going with the S4810.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/25/21 9:13 p.m.

Yeah, I'm looking for a semi-Craftsman style door like that. Did you happen to check out their faux stained fiberglass doors?  If so, did they look good, or hokey?

Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NiPOKlpeiHoydP1PkofIYtFGWJUS7gEL2oEco7ouiqBXfYztipQ9tGxPb80HfAc5