chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/18/21 5:52 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Trust me, they appreciated the offer. Places like that often have a no tips accepted policy. Taking that tip could cost them their job. Probably because someone, years prior, abused it to the point where corporate made a rule.

Just saying "Thanks, I appreciate it," is more than a lot of customers do.

We have that rule, because there was a culture of asking for tips which is a turn off for most customers. Lots of customers call and have pizzas delivered though which is a great gesture.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/18/21 8:21 a.m.

It's 18 November.  I drove the Miata to work today with the top down.

I know, I know, you Southern types are like, so...?

It's a big deal up here.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
11/18/21 9:29 a.m.
Duke said:

It's a big deal up here.

Some of the best drives I've been on have been in the trans am with the top down when it was snowing or just about to.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/18/21 9:50 a.m.
iansane said:
Duke said:

It's a big deal up here.

Some of the best drives I've been on have been in the trans am with the top down when it was snowing or just about to.

Top down, passenger window up, hat on, gloves on, heat on your feet... I loved that. The only thing that stopped me from driving like that all winter was that it was really, really hard to put the top back up in that kind of cold. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/18/21 10:27 a.m.

I was telling myself i shoulda drove the rx-7 yesterday, but there are waaaay too many deer all of a sudden.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
11/18/21 10:39 a.m.
mtn said:
iansane said:
Duke said:

It's a big deal up here.

Top down, passenger window up, hat on, gloves on, heat on your feet... I loved that. The only thing that stopped me from driving like that all winter was that it was really, really hard to put the top back up in that kind of cold. 

I far prefer driving the E46 with the top down in the Spring and Fall- it's much more enjoyable when the sun isn't baking you, and I can easily turn up the heat to keep it comfortable when it's colder out (and I'm usually wearing a ballcap when the top is down anyway because of the sun so my head stays warmer).

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/19/21 6:24 a.m.
Duke said:

It's a big deal up here.

I can't do that because they already salted the living E36 M3 out of the roads and it's rainy/snowy here. But, I finally have my Miata in out of the elements with a good roof over its head, so that's a win.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
11/19/21 10:26 a.m.

I had a bad wreck on my Sportster. Not sure what happened exactly due to concussion but I do know I hit the back of a stopped 1 ton utility body at 55mph.  I walked away.  I have a big cut on my leg (~60 stitches) and I feel like I fell off a cliff but my gear did its job and I'm in better shape than I should be.  Maybe, you tell me.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/19/21 10:33 a.m.

CHEEBUS!

Yeah, I'd file this under a minor win, if not major.  Sorry you don't remember the details, but wow, yeah, I'd say you're in better shape than you could be.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/19/21 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Glad you're still with us, that sucks!  You're gonna feel like a whole sack of ass for a couple of weeks so take it easy (BTDT).

Time for a Miata, it is the way.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/21 10:49 a.m.

I glad you had real gear on. That should have been so much worse. I shudder every time I see a sport biker in tennis shoes or a cruiser with fingerless gloves, neither wearing helmets. Buddy, its going to hurt.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
11/19/21 12:52 p.m.

Thanks guys.  I am willing to share the before pic of my leg if anyone wants it, and if the above pics are too much I'm glad to remove them.  ATGATT!  I had on an armored name brand jacket, jeans, leather motorcycle gloves and steel toe boots with a good quality full face helmet sized properly for my head.  Anybody that doesn't wear similar is asking for a lot of injury or worse.   Oh, and whatever cut my leg didn't damage my jeans, so unless I had on tight leathers I don't think different pants would change the outcome.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/19/21 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

No pics needed. Glad you're ok. I'm too chicken to ride street bikes anymore. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/19/21 10:20 p.m.

Applied for 3 jobs & got 2 offers.  Going to be moving soon.  More $ (considering cost of living differences approximatly a +17% increase), less responsibility, greater future potential if I want to move up, and better weather.  Located in the area I planned to retire to and I get to go there early! I think this is winning!   smiley

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/20/21 7:46 p.m.

I finally have a car that I can also play on Forza.

Weird I know and it's not exactly the same car but still kinda cool.

I've always owned trucks, Rampages never show up in anything and neither do zx2s.....although I wonder why not on the zx2

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
11/20/21 9:00 p.m.

The Mini runs again.

I'm not sure whether to curse or praise AutohausAZ... "In stock, ships within 1 business day" is funny phrasing for "we'll order it from our BMW contacts as soon as you order it from us" and "orders after 1:00 pm are regarded as happening the next day so we start the clock 1 business day the day after *that*" is also weird.

On the third day I called to follow up on the email (no reply within the advertised "one business day" here, too; order still "processing"), and got the above redefinitions and the info that the crank pulley was supposed to have turned up that day but hadn't, and that if it didn't show up 'til Monday they'd refund my expedited shipping charge but still expedite the shipment...

BUT!!!!!1!

The guy I talked to apparently kept digging around the place and caught a delivery arriving, because an hour after I got off the phone I got a notification from FedEx that I had a shipment arriving The Next Day before 1:00.

AND IT DID!

And I lived happily ever after. So far.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
11/21/21 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

That could easily be a "First World Problems" post too!

I'm glad they finally came thru for you.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/21/21 9:36 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I shudder every time I see a sport biker in tennis shoes or a cruiser with fingerless gloves, neither wearing helmets. Buddy, its going to hurt.

If it hurts, they got lucky.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/21/21 9:42 a.m.

Here is something you might not have seen before.  This is a moonbow.  Cumberland Falls in Kentucky.   To the naked eye it looks like a silvery arch but the 3 second exposure of night mode with an iPhone shows the hidden color.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/21/21 5:49 p.m.

The absolute nightmare of finding a decent used car to drive has come to a close. 2010 Mazda6 Grand Touring. Pretty excited to have an appliance. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/21/21 6:06 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
Appleseed said:

I shudder every time I see a sport biker in tennis shoes or a cruiser with fingerless gloves, neither wearing helmets. Buddy, its going to hurt.

If it hurts, they got lucky.

Or it'll hurt the rest of their lives. However long that might be.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/22/21 1:51 p.m.

My PAX got better again for 2022. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
11/23/21 8:42 a.m.

I had fun at work the other day.

Seal didn't make it past when it did in the full size test, which is very promising as it shows i planned this out correctly. Unfortunately, it didn't make it past when it did in the full size test.

Oh well, next material.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/23/21 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I feel like I need a lot more information.  Testing a safe to destruction?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
11/23/21 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Place I work for wants to get into making UL rated fire doors.  We've had one test that went great up until the seal failed ~60 minutes into a 90 minute test and caught fire.  Now we are testing various other seal materials.  Outside of the door, at the seal, is approaching 460-500F at that time, so we figure something with an auto-ignition temp in the 600-700F range will work.

The melted chunk is what remains of an aluminum continuous hinge that was on the exterior/test side.

90% of the time the job is boring as spit, but that 10% is fun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2fNfWn5FogNA77qca9wMfyZThhzvatUDrRlkedUYYbZ8bbkbERaM84wYjfZZCaBC