DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
6/15/22 5:53 p.m.

Sold my alto saxophone that had sat untouched for about 20 years. A grandfather picked it up for his grandson so they can play together since the grandson 'wants to be like grandpa', I think that's a win.

Also they started painting the interior of the house this week. Soon the kitchen goes in, then flooring, fixtures. A year since the fire on June 23rd. At least soon I get to go home. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
6/15/22 5:56 p.m.

Scored free metal shelves Sunday:

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/15/22 6:00 p.m.
NickD said:

My boss has started turning any classic cars away if they want anything more than a state inspection or an oil change. "Nope, sorry, we're not a hot rod shop, go elsewhere."

Having worked in a shop that did all that stuff that other people turned away....  I get it.  Definitely not a niche for anyone shooting for high volume.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/16/22 12:15 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I can respect a shop that would be upfront about their abilities and desires concerning my car.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/16/22 12:35 a.m.

Double header on my birthday.  Then dinner out and a quiet evening.

That's not bad at all.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/16/22 6:48 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

My boss has started turning any classic cars away if they want anything more than a state inspection or an oil change. "Nope, sorry, we're not a hot rod shop, go elsewhere."

Having worked in a shop that did all that stuff that other people turned away....  I get it.  Definitely not a niche for anyone shooting for high volume.

Yeah, it's just a hassle to us. It's a pain for us getting parts, a lot of calling around and then getting stuff that's not right or doesn't fit well and they end up tying up a lift forever. The main issue is really just the customers. We tell them it'll be a couple days or even weeks before we get parts, they're still down bugging us every day on when it is going to be done. We've had a few instances of them claiming that we damaged something that we never even touched or were working anywhere near, and since we can't solidly prove we did or didn't, my boss ends up paying for it just to make the customer happy.  

I honestly don't even get the mindset of a person who brings, say, a '79 Corvette to a dealership for any sort of work. GM doesn't make parts for them any more, so it's not like you're getting better quality parts. You're getting the same stuff from Advance or NAPA. Most of the techs weren't even born when these cars were new or know how to work on a carburetor, so it's not like you're necessarily getting better service. We don't have any of the service specs or service manuals anymore. You're better off going to a hot rod shop or similar, where they are more familiar with those kinds of cars.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/17/22 10:04 a.m.

Major win, EUAs granted for both Moderna and Pfizer under 5 vaccines!!!

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
6/17/22 4:54 p.m.

Girlfriend scored a cushy govt job, 6 months after we moved because of my own career choices. Now we can both be happy in careers.  Happy for her! 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/18/22 8:19 a.m.

I picked up an 08 civic coupe with the 1.8/5 speed for a daily. It's also going to be my backup autocross car and occasional track day car. 

One of my autocross friends sold his 8th generation SI and still had the koni sport shocks and progress 22mm rear sway bar. Also some enkie wheels and he's giving me a set of Yokohama tires. 

He picked up the car a few days ago and installed all of the parts and aligned it with the crash bolts. Total cost is about the same as the wheels alone would be new. 

And zero street miles on his stuff. He trailered his SI to events. 

edit: he doesn't know that I'm detailing his car while it's here. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/18/22 10:09 a.m.
DjGreggieP said:

Sold my alto saxophone that had sat untouched for about 20 years. A grandfather picked it up for his grandson so they can play together since the grandson 'wants to be like grandpa', I think that's a win.

Also they started painting the interior of the house this week. Soon the kitchen goes in, then flooring, fixtures. A year since the fire on June 23rd. At least soon I get to go home. 

That's definitely a win, music is wonderful

6/18/22 10:26 a.m.
Antihero said:
DjGreggieP said:

That's definitely a win, music is wonderful

So true. I was introduced to my wife since we're both classically trained singers (she's the far better musician).

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
6/18/22 2:06 p.m.

I've worked in radio/TV since I was a senior in high school. This April, I quit because the corporate shenanigans have just become too ridiculous to bother with. 

So where's the win? After 40yrs of working most weekends & holidays, my daughter and son in law invited me over for a Father's Day dinner tonight (they're doing his dad's tomorrow - you married folks know about balancing fam stuff for the spouse).

This will be the first one I've ever had. Can't wait!

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/18/22 3:09 p.m.

Scored a new 6' Werner fiberglass step ladder rated for 250# for $75 including tax at Home Despot with my discount & a not advertised $20 price reduction.  I need a ladder as I'm closing on my new to me (but older than me) house Monday. The spending has begun!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/22 5:18 p.m.

I know it's not a garuntee, but do you have any idea the load off my back this is?

wae
wae PowerDork
6/19/22 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I was negative on one of those and the Binax test.  PCR was positive.  My wife was negative on two antigen tests AND the PCR while being sick as a dog.  Two days later she popped a positive.

I hope you don't have it, but apparently testing is fairly garbage.  You'll pretty much never get a false positive, but false negatives seem to be really common.  Upside is that it's annoying, but not any worse than a flu.  Actually, it's better than a flu - I always puke my guts out with flu and that's what I hate more than anything.  This is all the flu stuff with none of the vomiting, so it's kind of an improvement.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/22 7:02 p.m.

Grandma's came back negative as well.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
6/20/22 3:12 p.m.

The Mrs. and I have newer friends that we have known for a little over a year. They have been super cool since day 1 but we kind of take making friends slow. They invited us to a time share in Vermont last weekend that was a few hours from here. It was a totally awesome weekend, great conversation, relaxing, fun. I can't remember the last time (if ever) someone invited us to do something like that. It was a nice win. As a side bonus the husband of the new friends is my local best friend with regards to F1. We even got to watch the race before we headed home from the weekend! Extra bonus, Killington has a super chill happy vibe and it was great to be around that for a couple days.

6/20/22 5:49 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Daughter #2, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

And her Dad.

Tell her for me: welcome to the profession! Vet School is a long, hard slog.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
6/20/22 6:34 p.m.

I got to play Team F1 this weekend at Montreal, dressed up for it and everything:

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
6/20/22 7:32 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

I'm not sure how minor that win is! Sweet!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/21/22 7:12 a.m.

Got to spend a week playing uncle to my 3 y.o. and 2 month old nieces!

First chance I got to see them because of covid. Great visit. Drive was pretty easy. Great to spend time with my brother and his wife. They were super happy to have us there to tag-team watching kids, and commented several times that we were the best guests they've had visit. Going to visit more often.

Strongly considering relocating to be closer to them to be able to visit on day trips. They live just outside of DC though, so it would have to be an hour or two away to get reasonably priced housing. Special thanks to Flynlow for showing us around Richmond as a strong possibility for that.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
6/21/22 7:58 a.m.

Spent the weekend away with the Missus. Our anniversary is the 22nd and we celebrated by getting an AirBnB in Kalamazoo, vwalking the city in the mornings, getting coffee and chilling. Friday night we were the old farts in the club reminding ourselves that we were once cooler than these kids. Saturday was a quick trip to Indiana for fireworks and brunch then up US131 to Martin where Street Car Takover had, well, taken over. Dinner at Kalamazoos oldest bar and a drink at the bar basketballer Ben Wallace just opened. All in all a super chill weekend. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/22 9:54 a.m.

had lunch with my boss yesterday.  he got a text as we were getting back to the office, and said "E36 M3, check your email as soon as you get back to your desk."

letter from HR awarding me a 5% merit increase.  "Thanks for all of your hard work, PC"

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/21/22 2:26 p.m.

I fill up my fuel tank every two weeks; today marked the first fuel stop where all the driving has been sans tonneau cover, as I removed it three weeks ago. Prior fuel economy with the cover in place was squarely between 12 -12.5 mpg. Today's fill-up gave me the numbers to crunch, and I got 14.8 mpg over this last tankful. That's a motherberkeleying win, right there...

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
6/22/22 8:38 p.m.

Looks like I'm on track to be released to go home tomorrow after only 2 nights in the hospital, and fully intact. Whoo!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CVxYwtURkUrZM68tmyuOdYiBIj6MZDRUY3R2cjVv8Eb9VkpOTsOI7XdZSsUVLrx2