wae
wae PowerDork
9/10/22 12:58 p.m.

After a near-panic attack during Thursday night's dress rehearsal with Marvin, the new doughnut-making robot, I got all the settings dialed in and worked out how to best run the machine.  The first night of the festival last night was a complete success with doughnuts coming out absolutely perfectly every single time.  And on top of that, they came out so much faster which meant our line never got completely out of control.  In previous years, we've had people wait 45 minutes to get a dozen doughnuts and this year I don't think anyone had to even wait half that long.  It's hard to tell, but it also looks like we made 15% more doughnuts than we've ever done on a Friday, too.

The only bad news, though, is that I am in serious danger of running out of mix before closing time tonight.  And I don't know what I'll do about tomorrow....

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
9/10/22 1:07 p.m.

I'm glad the new donut maker worked out! I really liked the donut thread earlier this year. 

Minor win. I had a total kick in the balls week that I'm not ready to discuss yet but... This morning I got up waxed the picnic table and put the shiner stuff on the wheels. Loaded up the wife and kids and drove it to the AYSO season kick off for the kids, then rode to the cider mill, got some cider and ate in the sun. It's a beautiful day and I got to enjoy it with my family. Win. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/10/22 2:00 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

They're trying to get out schedule changed but as of right now we're working 12hr days six days a week so it's unlikely unless they do get us some help. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/12/22 9:32 p.m.

Taking more mangled metal of the F150 revealed a bent bumper bracket. One that's welded to the frame. Aw, hell.

There is no straight part on the frame horns to check with a square, so a tape measure from fixed points to bracket told the story.

I get the bright idea to use Scissor the Wonder Jack. I stuff it between a body mount and the bent bracket and go to town on the impact. I flex it enough to get it to take a hold. Couple of more and it's close. Massage it with a 4lb. BFH and...dead nuts. Woot!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/13/22 11:55 a.m.

1. Ran into Shawneecreek last night at local SAE chapter meeting

2. guest speaker was Tom Peters, retired GM design guy who did a lot of Corvette design work over the years

3. event was at Lingenfelter Motor Sports

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/13/22 1:02 p.m.

Insulation inspection on the new shop: passed!

Mercifully without the hideously expensive rigid foam upgrade.

On schedule for drywall and paint starting tomorrow, gutters the 22nd, finish plumbing the 23rd! Getting close...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/14/22 2:57 p.m.

The biggest fan of my beer is an Acura master mechanic. I love having hm as a resource in my phone.

"Hey. Found the oil leak on the S2000, but I don't know what this part is..."

Couple days later, I get an O-ring dropped off for me at the bar.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
9/14/22 4:19 p.m.

Today we got to bring home Cosmo

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
9/14/22 9:06 p.m.

Front brake pads on the wife's Rav4 were almost entirely painless after the initial learning curve. Think I might do the back ones tomorrow evening.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
9/16/22 11:24 p.m.

If it's not legible, that's ostrich steaks, kangaroo steaks, and alligator "filet". 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/17/22 1:53 p.m.

Just got a shipping notification.  My new welder, which was supposed to ship in October, is going to be delivered around the 21st of this month.

Soon I'll be able to get back to working on the LS4.9

Woo!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
9/17/22 1:57 p.m.
RevRico said:

If it's not legible, that's ostrich steaks, kangaroo steaks, and alligator "filet". 

I liked Kangaroo, it's a very lean flavorful meat. It kinda reminds me of elk a little. Very filling too

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/17/22 2:03 p.m.
Antihero said:

Oh man, is Cosmo named after the dog in Questionable Content?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/17/22 2:06 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Just got a shipping notification.  My new welder, which was supposed to ship in October, is going to be delivered around the 21st of this month.

Soon I'll be able to get back to working on the LS4.9

Woo!

AND I just found that a place I interned at and really enjoyed has moved my application for an R&D Engineer up to the next level!

WOO WOO!!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
9/17/22 2:23 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Antihero said:

Oh man, is Cosmo named after the dog in Questionable Content?

He's not but that's great! Didn't even know about it.

Basically my wife and I thought he should have a dignified and/or a space name and Cosmo is what he reacted too. He's supposedly Maremma and Labradoodle 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/18/22 5:58 p.m.

I got to see Sparta, The Descendants, Taking Back Sunday, Alkaline Trio, and My Chemical Romance live the other day! 

It was my first concert ever and it was berkeleying epic!!

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/18/22 6:17 p.m.

Yes, it's pretty janky, abusive of an innocent tool, and I did wonder whether I was about to shoot half a C-clamp at myself some of the time, but these things didn't want to come up, and YouTube seemed to mostly suggest special tools or even sketchier workarounds. This was waaaay better than trying to move them around 'til they could be wrestled out or spending all afternoon soaking the area and trying to get a prybar to hook on the bumps...

A 6" length of 4" tubing would have been awesome, I think. I suspect the lifting force would have kept it cocked against the tabs while lifting the bottom outside with one of the protrusions on the jack cup.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/18/22 8:23 p.m.
The_Jed said:

I got to see Sparta, The Descendants, Taking Back Sunday, Alkaline Trio, and My Chemical Romance live the other day! 

It was my first concert ever and it was berkeleying epic!!

I love Taking Back Sunday, that sounds like an awesome concert!

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
9/19/22 10:55 a.m.

For quite a while now- probably in the order of years though at least a full year- our kitchen faucet (the one that the house came with when we bought it) has been very annoying and unless you found just the right position of the handle would drip. I'd looked at what it would take to remove it and put in a new one, but annoyingly the people who had redone the house had clearly installed the faucet onto the sink before installing the sink, so access was very tight. Yesterday I finally got it into my mind that I was going to get the old faucet out and install one that worked normally- and after several hours and the use of tools that should definitely not be needed for such a task (like my oscillating cutter) we finally have a new kitchen faucet that doesn't drip and require 30 seconds of trying to position the handle so the drips are as slow as possible.

wae
wae PowerDork
9/19/22 1:09 p.m.

For about $41, I got 3.5lbs of brisket and 19lbs of pork butt.  I can experiment with the sous vide on that baby brisket without risking a giant bit of meat.  And the pork butt will make some bitchin' carnitas and/or pulled pork.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
9/19/22 2:36 p.m.

The challenge car is faster than little brother's heavily modified Mk4 R32 Golf.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
9/19/22 10:43 p.m.

Got the 1 major room project and 3 minor room projects far enough along to be waiting on materials to arrive, and took the time to go for a run and relax this evening. That felt good.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
9/19/22 11:04 p.m.

We've had Cosmo for 6 days now. He knows his name, knows how to come, knows what "outside" means, is pretty much leash trained and is trying to make friends with the cats.

Not bad at all for a dog that was originally known as "Light Blue" for the first 4 months of his life, bred to be sold and in "a very bad place" is what the next person that got him said, who had him for a week , named him Kitty and told the shelter he was impossible to leash train.

He also has a bump on one of his ribs that makes me think it was broken early in his very young life, which angers me and makes the "a very bad place" worthy of its name. I'm glad the 2nd adopter got him out of there.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/20/22 12:54 a.m.

3k worth of imaging last month (that -naturally - found nothing)

My bill ended up being seventy six dollars.

I don't use my benefits very often (knock on wood) but man they're nice when I do.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
9/20/22 10:35 a.m.

I got an email from Nicole yesterday letting me know that I've won the VIP package for 2  for the Hiilton Head Concours that Classic Motorsport  was giving away.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pamX4hMILXn10QJvjhnJiFOmczdzkv7fyjnr82OyoWN4JWmB5E0sUjAASr3es9mE