Folgers
Folgers Reader
1/23/23 5:59 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

What's a Pittsburg toilet? Toilet seat over the sump pump?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/23 8:52 p.m.

After missing out on what might have been a cool job, I knocked a bunch of bomb out of the park. Got a letter from the state saying that the overpayment was an oversight on their part, and I am not responsible for it (going to call to confirm.) Got an email reply about my missing Motul oil for the FR-S.  It ships tomorrow. The best thing? The 2 and a half year old wizzed in the training potty. One he had been practicing on... for less than an hour.

Berk yeah.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/23/23 9:09 p.m.
EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
1/23/23 9:29 p.m.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
1/23/23 9:39 p.m.

Minor rant - e30 clutch dropped to the floor leaving indoor soccer tonight.

Minor win - had a couple of friends right behind me who pushed out of the road and offered to follow me home while starting in 1st and rev matching up into 2nd and 3rd leaving the city into the burbs.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/25/23 1:28 a.m.

Wife made meatloaf for dinner. I love meatloaf night 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/23 4:19 a.m.

I just have to get through this week then I'm off to California for 9 days.  I can't get away from this clusterberkeley soon enough. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/25/23 1:36 p.m.

Registered for a continued education Certificate that is basically just doing 2-Dozen hours of online training. It's not my favorite way to learn, but I'm excited to be Choosing to learn this time.

One way or another it will be my first educational step since graduating college, and that feels like a step in the right direction.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
1/26/23 8:38 p.m.

Very minor, but New Yankee Workshop has a youtube channel now. They only have the old PBS episodes from back in the 80s and 90s. I'm loving the nostalgia from watching it as a kid.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/26/23 8:55 p.m.
gearheadmb said:

Very minor, but New Yankee Workshop has a youtube channel now. They only have the old PBS episodes from back in the 80s and 90s. I'm loving the nostalgia from watching it as a kid.

I was very disappointed when they pulled it from the This Old House insider website.  Very glad it's available and free, now.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
1/27/23 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I remember watching and and wanting to build stuff like him but at the time I felt like he had such a well equipped shop that it seemed unattainable. Now going back and rewatching it, especially the early seasons I realize he really didn't have that much stuff. If a guy were willing to be patient and buy quality used stuff you could probably outfit a similar woodshop for around $1000. It makes you realize how much skill and talent the guy had. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/27/23 9:56 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

Very minor, but New Yankee Workshop has a youtube channel now. They only have the old PBS episodes from back in the 80s and 90s. 

i did not need to know this.  must.... resist....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/27/23 10:56 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

In reply to Folgers :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_toilet

i used to have one of those in my bedroom.

It was a weird house.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
1/27/23 2:20 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
gearheadmb said:

Very minor, but New Yankee Workshop has a youtube channel now. They only have the old PBS episodes from back in the 80s and 90s. 

i did not need to know this.  must.... resist....

Then you really don't want to know about https://www.youtube.com/@NewYorkshireWorkshop

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
1/27/23 6:22 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Her grandmas house just opened up since cousin moved to TX. We just re-upped our apartment through October, but even if we can't find someone to take over we can tough it out until the fall and go then. 
Pro-

2 more bedrooms. 
basement. 
yard. 
quiet agricultural neighborhood. 
1/3 rent we're paying now!!!

Con-  

-1 bathroom. 
+30 minute commute. 
Old house things. 

Seems like an absolute win. I've seen the place but never been inside. It's small but beats an apartment. There's talk of selling, and I could afford it.. going to a single bathroom might be tough, but that's a small price to pay. Literally save $1200/month, even if I have to drive a bunch more. 

The place isn't so great. 80+ years old. Everything concrete or block is cracked, there isn't a level floor or wall in the place. One bathroom and that isn't usable without a fairly large overhaul. Known rot and termite damage, and the roof is seriously questionable. No AC. Half the place isn't insulated. Landscaping is completely trashed. The trust stipulates the place not be sold, so that's out. Honestly it needs demolished. The lot is really good, .6 acre, agricultural zoning, quiet. 

It boils down to being a very old house in very bad disrepair, which sat vacant for a decade before being "fixed up" by folks who just tried to automate all the lights and add a big fish tank in every room. Dang. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/27/23 8:20 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

I've always felt the same thing.

I had four pipe clamps and Norm and 70 pipe clamps.  I had one Sears router with worn bits and he used three different ones on a single project.  I agree the guy had talent - I don't have anything close.

Did you watch the recent retirement episode about Norm? Such a humble guy - both my wife and I were all crying with Norm in the end.  

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/28/23 8:08 p.m.

Found a cache of plastic steak knives in a random Ollies stop tonight. I haven't been able to find these for almost 2 years.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/28/23 11:27 p.m.

TIL they make plastic steak knives.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/29/23 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I would think that plastic steak would be friable enough that you could take it apart with a fork like pulled pork or a well prepared roast, and wouldn't even need a knife.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/29/23 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

these things are a gamechanger for outdoor parties. Shame they're so hard to find. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/1/23 4:09 p.m.

I just had Shawarma from a gas station.

And it was berkeleying incredible

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
2/1/23 7:06 p.m.

Got a message from my manager today that a 15% increase has been approved for more hourly contract rate. Guess I should enjoy the feel of the golden handcuffs!

Of course, I need to get back to work from caregiver duty for my dad, but that's an easy choice. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/2/23 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

My win today is also a raise/promotion - no change in responsibilities, just have been in this role long enough/done well enough to merit a raise. Whoot!

wae
wae PowerDork
2/2/23 2:49 p.m.

Two days in a row FedEx arrived with a package for me at the shop, discovered I wasn't there, and then they actually set the package down at the door and walked away, leaving it for me to go pick up at my convenience.   Apparently the driver has finally learned to read the sign on the door instructing them to just leave packages!

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
2/3/23 1:00 p.m.

Finally got my CTS V ready for sale!  I'll miss her but it's time to let someone else enjoy her.  It should allow a shiny toy I've been drooling on for years now to join the party...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vEgbEDQZrD6pINMUtODLcjn8zz9h5Lqf7rQOpd8fXvaxE71bZas7qlyb7zLNYoyS