AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/24/23 9:36 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Theres a strong chance I might have a job with ZF (yes, that ZF) transmissions.

Outstanding!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/24/23 9:42 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Making zeppelins?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/23 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

At one point I had about 3 sets of those wheels, plus a set of R/T wheels.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/23 10:37 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Excellent!  Best of luck to you.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/25/23 9:20 a.m.
Duke said:

Yah, and it used to be you could find them on Craigslist for $80/set, but these took a year of car-part watching and a couple disappointments and eventually a 350 mile round trip and all my fun money to snag.

Welcome to 2023, Neon population zero

wae
wae PowerDork
2/25/23 9:32 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Duke said:

Yah, and it used to be you could find them on Craigslist for $80/set, but these took a year of car-part watching and a couple disappointments and eventually a 350 mile round trip and all my fun money to snag.

Welcome to 2023, Neon population zero

You're not lying!

I used to be able to get a spare 5spd transmission any time I wanted for $75-$150 on craigslist.  Granted, those were the 3.55s not the 3.94s, but still.  I haven't seen one for sale anywhere in forever.  And it's extremely rare that they find their way into the junkyards.  I guess they've just returned to the Earth.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/25/23 9:40 a.m.

In reply to wae :

If you're on FB find a good mini stock page. Neons and parts come up on the local one pretty regularly 

wae
wae PowerDork
2/25/23 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

oooooh, that's a good tip, thanks!

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
2/27/23 6:52 a.m.

Jack was with us since October and he finally found his forever home last week. New foster dog arrives tomorrow and the process starts anew.

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
2/27/23 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

Nice! I've fostered some cats. It's sometimes hard to let them go, but it's rewarding, too.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
2/27/23 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

Good for you, and for him! The Dancer and I considered fostering after we lost Marley after the beginning of the year, but she was convinced (and I can't really disagree) that she'd just get too attached and want to keep ALL THE DOGS.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
2/27/23 11:23 a.m.

After spending last week trying to work on just my laptop's screen sitting down on the couch with the new puppy, Baby Bat (not her actual real name, but it is what we call her a lot of the time) I wanted to try and get back more to working closer to how I sholud be (at my desk in my office with the larger monitor setup I need for some of the more graphical work I do)... but during the day she really wants to be down sitting on the couch against the window watching everything and she's just too young and not totally housebroken (or out of the phase of randomly grabbing things to chew on) to just leave completely unattended.

Thankfully, when I started trying to upgrade my new 3D printer, I had picked up a RPi4 to use to run Klipper on it before opting to go with a completely new control board that essentially has a RPi built into it- so I had a spare one sitting around. A bit of time over the weekend and this morning and printing out a case for it, and I now have a working Bat Nanny Cam for essentially no cost beyond what I already had on hand.

Likewise a win- over the weekend I picked up a dog bed from one of the local auctions to put up here in my office so she'd have a cozy place to curl up when she has to (or just wants to be) be in here with me. The Dancer was not convinced it was worth it since Marley never had any interest in dog beds, but she seems to have figured it out pretty quickly...

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
2/28/23 4:09 p.m.

It looks like I might have scored a slightly used set of Hoosiers for my Miata for $100, which is an extra win since I run 13" wheels and finding affordable tires is almost impossible. I'm going to pick them up tonight!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/1/23 7:48 p.m.

Met with the 2nd shift supervisor at ZF. Seemed to go well.

Apparently they are the only ZF transmissions rebuilt by ZF themselves anywhere in the US. I'd be on the "fun" side rebuilding slushboxes for BMWs and a ton of Mopars, including Hellcats. 

Good God, I want this job.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
3/1/23 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Good luck, that does sound like a cool job.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/1/23 7:57 p.m.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the good vibes.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/1/23 8:03 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Met with the 2nd supervisor at ZF. Seemed to go well.

Apparently they are the only ZF transmissions rebuilt by ZF themselves anywhere in the US. I'd be on the "fun" side rebuilding slushboxes for BMWs and a ton of Mopars, including Hellcats. 

Good God, I want this job.

Good luck, that sounds like fun

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/1/23 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Assuming the Vermin Hills location, I would love to work there. I'd play hockey during my lunch break every day at Glacier. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/1/23 8:04 p.m.

My dad is doing spectacularly better today, so much so that he's being transferred out of the ICU today or tomorrow.

Going from "we don't know if he will make it" to " hell he doesn't need to even be in here" in 48 hours is quite the turnaround 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/1/23 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Berk yeah! That's awesome.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/1/23 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Awesome. I was wondering how it was going, but didn't want to jinx anything.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/1/23 10:38 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Trust me, you can't outself-sabotage me. wink

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/2/23 1:47 p.m.

I got the job.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
3/2/23 2:10 p.m.