Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/29/23 3:54 p.m.

Feeling like royalty spending Spring Break in Florida. For the first time in 10 years, the kids are old enough that this feels like vacation. Since having kids until now, vacations have been hard classified as trips since relaxation and enjoyment was thin on the ground.

Bonus win - new work has left me alone instead of 15 calls a day that start with - "I know you're on vacation but..." 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
3/29/23 5:01 p.m.

After dreading if it would actually work based on some friends reporting bad luck with it, (and some rather dumb frustrations with ice and ladders and hole originally drilled on two different angles), I got my Starlink set up and running and it works really really well.

Like 158Mbps down, 9.3Mbps up and a 39 ms latency good.

The old xplornet we had was 2.4Mbps down, .41Mbps up and an 81 ms latency.

I have a good feeling that I can *actually* continue streaming now that I am home. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/1/23 7:54 p.m.

It was quiet at the shop this month, pretty normal for March.  I was looking for something for my young guy to do, so we dragged in an 89 740turbo that's been sitting at the shop for 5 years or so, after it was abandoned by the owner, who didn't want to spend the $300 it would have taken to have a used distributor put in...

I've paid zero attention to it, other than noticing that the headliner was hanging down.  Turns out it's a west coast car until 2007, and the last oil change was done in 2013, so it only had 6 Saskatchewan winters.  Rust free, has the upholstery I like, engine sounds tight, trans shifts nice, clear coat is baked.  IPD sway bars and springs, Bilsteins, IPD strut brace, only 30% of the rotten interior hard plastic is broken.

Sweet mother of God, does it need new tires...

Oh yeah, it's got 387,000km on it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/1/23 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

That's excellent!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/1/23 10:25 p.m.

I have automotive ADD and now own this.

New powerhaus 1915cc engine New rancho 4spd “freeway flyer” tranny New front disc brakes New 15x5 stock wheels with baby moon caps on 21/2” Coker white walls New upholstery (cognac), has a good set of 40idf carbs on it. Could nicks and scratches but for sub 20K cannot complaint he drivetrain alone is 14K in recipts. 

Product photo of 1957 Porsche 356

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/23 11:44 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Dude that is awesome! I appreciate that you could drive pretty much anything and you choose to drive kooky stuff.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/2/23 6:14 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Dude that is awesome! I appreciate that you could drive pretty much anything and you choose to drive kooky stuff.

Seller got cold feet and I still have my money. He did not realize how much he liked the car, it was his brothers who recently passed so we unwound the deal. Gives me a chance to buy something else. Unfortunate because I had wheels tires and all the little cool 356 speedster specialty parts to really make it into a outlaw. 

Flex buyer also had a medical emergency and needs me to hold the car for another month or so. Not a big deal. The 356 deal falling apart gives me money to get a better daily driver once the Flex goes. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/2/23 6:18 p.m.

My grandsons were over for a visit, and for the first time since my health problems started 13 months ago, I was able to pick them up and hug them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/2/23 6:38 p.m.

To be honest, I would have thought you'd have to add a zero to the price to buy one of those.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
4/2/23 6:51 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

To be honest, I would have thought you'd have to add a zero to the price to buy one of those.

It's a kit. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/2/23 6:54 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Replica as stated. Even replica's are getting up into the 40-50K range when built properly and with the subaru motors. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/2/23 7:17 p.m.

Dang, if that is a replica:

A. Very nice

B. $20k still seems like a heck of a bargain!

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
4/2/23 8:18 p.m.

Compact utility tractor and box blade did a lot better and easier job than I expected on the potholes in the lane at my wife's vet clinic. 

Set the scarifiers and shortened the top of the three point hitch to tear through a winter's worth of potholes, then stowed them and cranked the top hitch long to drag things out. 

Whether it lasts or not is, of course, another question. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
4/2/23 10:48 p.m.

I am getting better at focusing on seeing individual projects through to completion. Not great, but better. 

Also spent the last few nights making small progress on little things in the garage - which has been really nice, with the temperature at/above 40 again. So excited for the spring we're feeling 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/3/23 11:25 p.m.

How about a major win?

MOM'S CANCER IS IN REMISSION

She's had three different cancers THREE TIMES.  This last one was lobular breast cancer that had metastasized to her spine, kidneys, abdomen, lymph, and one other place I can't remember right now.

Today was a clean PET scan, they moved her to bloodwork every 3 months from 1, office visits to every 6 months from 3, and PET scans to every 6 months from 3.

Go Mom!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/4/23 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

That is just fantastic news!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/5/23 3:24 p.m.

My Mom has been in hospital since late last summer. In a ward where dementia patients go that are a danger, or can no longer look after themselves, until their condition stabilizes and they determine where they're going to go, which recently happened. I filled out the paperwork with our top 5 home choices not more than a few weeks ago, and just got the call. They have a room for her in a home that was our first choice.

For all the talk of our system being in crisis, it's sure worked well for us.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/6/23 8:49 a.m.

Major win time. We just got notified that my daughter was accepted into the Stanley Tech Early College, where she will graduate with both her high school diploma and her associates degree and possibly even certification in cyber security. It's an amazing young woman that is living in my house. She's doing so much better than I was at her age cuz she hasn't been drug home by the cops yet. She even has purpose and direction in life and I couldn't be more proud of her

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/6/23 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Peabody and Dusterbd13:

I'm genuinely glad to hear that on both of your accounts.  Best of luck to you and your families.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/6/23 7:48 p.m.

I completed a Journey in Tripledot's Solitaire game.

The final level was crazy hard.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
4/6/23 8:11 p.m.

Vacation week at the beach with my wife and kids. Only two work phone calls that i voluntarily picked up. Aside from some sunburn on my feet it's been super relaxing. Even purchased plane tickets for our next vacation. Win. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/6/23 9:14 p.m.

My dad has snapped out of his delusional state and is working at getting home again.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
4/6/23 9:32 p.m.
Antihero said:

My dad has snapped out of his delusional state and is working at getting home again.

Wow! Awesome!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
4/6/23 11:20 p.m.

I have two minor wins to report. The first is that the J20 actually started yesterday after a few hours on the battery charger, despite having sat for a few months.

The second, and the reason to get the truck running, was that I snagged this on the way home yesterday.

Okay, so it's Harbor Freight junk and it's several years old and it needs some work and I don't really have room for it and my compressor isn't really big enough and my wife's going to be mad as hell when she has to help keep unload it on Saturday, but dammit, I kind of had to grab it.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/7/23 11:22 a.m.

Things have been rough for a couple months, and I'm hitting a point that I'm feeling good.

Lots of coming to peace with or finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel about lots of things that have been very mixed-emotion for me.

I've been really making a habit of meditating pretty consistently. I feel like I'm no longer constantly wrestling with my 'monkey mind'. I'm sitting here, realizing that even though the anxious and frustrated voice is still there in my head yammering away, I'm actually feeling relatively at peace and happy. That voice is there, but it's in a corner on its own where I can observe it, instead of wrestling with it while it screams in my face.

I'm four weeks past my vasectomy. Recovery was slowed by a hematoma, which kept things uncomfortable for extra recovery time. I'm *finally* feeling pretty decent. I did some light weight lifting two days ago. I ran the dog this morning. I'm going to rock climb this afternoon. I drove the S2000 and finally don't feel like my knees are too cramped not letting me spread to relieve pressure.

I had a good interview yesterday with a startup brewery that has restored some confidence in my professional skills and knowledge that has taken a few knocks recently.

Although I still don't approve of how the owner here doesn't lead, I think I've pretty much made my peace with the situation and understand what mindset I need to keep and boundaries or guard rails I need to set to make this an over-all positive experience. Basically just, accepting that this company is what it is, and that I need to insist on honest realism about how much resources (time, effort, money) are actually going to be put into things before we start on any new projects.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XEZRqEYNjeDAFtYHZmfqGlr3vev3qQUQ3mFvbmzve1lZq65dr5veCrDuOPsOsYoh