GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
4/15/23 9:25 a.m.

Got out of clinicals 4 hours early yesterday, which let me relax a little afterwards. I likely shouldn't have with yardwork, cooking and studying but it was nice for an hour or two.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/15/23 11:03 a.m.

The Beetle started on the second crank after hibernating all winter.   It's now in the driveway, so there will actually be room in the garage to work on a car.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
4/15/23 11:09 a.m.

Freshly applied passing inspection sticker on my Mazda 6.  I have been fighting brake issues for more than a year on the car.  My youngest is scheduled to take his license test next week and we want this car for him.  Minor win, but it feels so major.  

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/15/23 11:17 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:
mtn said:
Beer Baron said:
DarkMonohue said:

Two words: discount ham.

I'd probably give that 24 hours before declaring that a Win or not...

Day after Easter? That ham has at least 5 days left, possibly up to 2 months.

First thing I do when Mrs Monohue proudly announces how she found something super cheap is check the sell-by date. The ham in question had weeks yet to go and was, by all accounts, spectacular, and nobody has had any trouble yet.

Result: discount ham continues to be a win. It is enormous and we'll have to freeze a big portion of it. Maybe we'll take photos every time we thaw out a hunk so that we can commemorate the good times.

"Discount Ham" sounds like a band name.

Probably a Ska band that wears the cheapest police costumes and mirror shades they can find.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
4/15/23 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I'd go to that show, no questions asked.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/15/23 12:23 p.m.

Second minor win of the day. Got on my plane and it has engines that I helped to make. Super cool feeling. 

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner Reader
4/18/23 9:08 a.m.

Just accepted a new Job offer and put in my notice at my current employer.  Looking forward to the new opportunities, things to learn, chance for advancement and more money.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/18/23 1:25 p.m.

In reply to cfvwtuner :

congrats!

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
4/18/23 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Can they do *ONLY* Ska covers of 'The Police' songs?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/19/23 2:21 p.m.

I'm sitting next to the hellspawn, eating  apple slices,  watching a BS tv show. There nothing special about it all and it couldn't be more perfect.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
4/19/23 3:08 p.m.

In reply to cfvwtuner :

Congratulations!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/19/23 3:22 p.m.

I spent late summer and fall learning to walk after 5 months in hospital beds. Finished physical therapy four weeks ago. At the gym this morning I walked a mile on the track without any issues. Onwards and upwards.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/19/23 4:02 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I spent late summer and fall learning to walk after 5 months in hospital beds. Finished physical therapy four weeks ago. At the gym this morning I walked a mile on the track without any issues. Onwards and upwards.

Major win!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/19/23 4:05 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

That is fantastic news, and nothing minor about it at all.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
4/19/23 10:34 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I'm sitting next to the hellspawn, eating  apple slices,  watching a BS tv show. There nothing special about it all and it couldn't be more perfect.

Copy that. I was crackin' goobers on the couch an hour ago while Little Monohue spurred an inflatable horse to imaginary breakneck speeds while singing "Take Me Back to Tulsa" right along with Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. It's exactly the kind of entirely ordinary occurrence that makes life worthwhile. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
4/20/23 1:06 p.m.

Over the last few months since getting Baby Bat, I've gotten far less done than I'd like due to having to spend so much time keeping her out of trouble and looking after her in addition to all of my usual making sure our house runs smoothly, working my actual 40-hour job, and doing things for The Dancer's non-profit. Once of the things that has been far slower in progressing than I'd like has been my new (to me) larger 3D printer that I'll be using once my original one goes to my Dad in a few months. I've been working on upgrading the new one considerably, and am pretty close except for one thing: since I'm upgrading to a much more powerful bed heater, I got a thicker aluminum plate to mount it to in hopes of not having so much deformation from heating up faster.

I got the plate at a decent price from a local metals shop but opted to not have them drill the holes in it that it needs because that would have cost more than the plate itself, hoping that I could just do it myself, even managing to get them to give me a piece of scrap plate of the same thickness to practice on. But it's been several weeks, and it just hasn't looked like I'm going to have time anytime soon to even start to figure it out and I have a lot of other things farther up the priority list that I should be spending my time on. Now, last Friday I started trying to figure out the newest insane thing that The Dancer wants to have for the show this summer, and in doing so tried to talk to several machine shops in town because making what she wants is way outside of what I can do (or likely anyone nearby- the closest place that looks like they can make it, if we can get the material for a decent price, is over an hour away in Cinci). One of them in particular had really good reviews and the owner that I talked to was the one who pointed me along the path to where I am on that project and was just overall very helpful and knowledgeable.

So, he was my first call today when I decided I should see about having someone else drill the holes. When I explained what I needed, he asked what the plate was for- and when I told him it was an upgrade for my 3D printer he says, "Oh, do you know a lot about 3D printers? We've got one here in the shop that we're hoping to use but don't know a lot about, do you think you could look at it when you come with the plate you need drilled?" So it may work out that if I can help them with their 3D printer (something I can't say I consider 'work' since I love tinkering with mine) I may at least get a discount on the work I need done on the plate.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
4/21/23 9:25 a.m.

Buzzfeed is shutting down AND Netflix is being sued. Double whammy of awesome. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/22/23 1:48 p.m.

I'm gonna be a little self indulgent with this one.

I just completed a 10k this morning. Walked it. I've walked a few events before, and I'm used to being in a crowd.

Not today. Maybe because this was a 10k not a 5k and maybe because it was out of town rather than in downtown Chicago, but we didn't really see any walkers.

Besides a few minutes near runners where the course folded back on itself, we were completely alone. The water tables became unstaffed and eventually packed up. Somebody drove past us on mile five and pulled down the timing boards. Scarcely anyone was at the finish. There was a sign for a band, but no band. Thankfully, they still had beer and bananas.

I scanned my bib for results, and the QR threw an error that the campaign was shut down.

Win?

I managed to Google results, and I was not dead last. Dead last in men in my age group, but not otherwise dead last.

I'm telling myself this event was nearly all runners, and that I beat all of the walkers who stayed home.

I'm feeling okay about it right now. Win.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/23/23 2:04 p.m.

Confession, I have a wandering eye. But I restrict my activities to bikes and cars, so it's especially bad in the off season.

TLDR at the end. 
I've been watching a bike for seven months, had some back and forth with the owner and worked out a price. He's 5 hours away and I've been trying to work out a combination trip to pick it up. I found out that he was heading this way last month and suggested he bring the bike with him so we could make the deal. He refused saying, who does that? I was a little pissed and stopped talking to him, but saw on Friday that it was advertised elsewhere and listed a lot closer. So I contact him and, long story short, he was taking a trip, going right by here, and would bring the bike. We set up a meet for the next day and I realize that he probably didn't know it was me from before.  I also realize that I was a lot more interested in the bike when it wasn't so close or such an easy option, and second guess the whole deal. But I set up the meet, I'm  going to buy the bike regardless, as long as it's what he says it is. He shows and the bike is perfect. We exchange pleasantries, I pull my money out, I have $5500. No way he says, im asking $5900. I know but you had it listed for $5600 last week. No I didn't, you must be thinking of something else. We'll, actually no and we agreed on $5500, would you like to see the texts? He huffs and puffs, $5800 is the best I can do. Ok , buddy,  thanks and I walk away. $5700 he shouts as I'm leaving. 

TLDR: I liked the idea of the bike more than I liked the bike itself. I didn't really want it as badly as I thought I did, but I would have bought it because I said I would.  For once somebody being a douchebag worked out in my favour. 

He messaged me two hours later, what's your best offer? Sorry, Dave, that ship has sailed.  His wife was there for the whole thing. I can imagine that was a long trip home. 
I saw it for sale this morning, $5600. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/23/23 5:06 p.m.

Boyoboy, did it ever take me a while to sort through the memory bank to get this thing right.  Runs sweet now.

I even had a spare fuel pressure regulator in the pile'o'junk.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/23/23 5:14 p.m.

Another trivial thing.  This is a British rhd 72 144E.

Someone told me that North America only got 142e, 142s, 145s and 145e, 144 was twin carb only, 144s.

Any old fools remember that to confirm?  It sounds true to me.

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
4/24/23 4:16 p.m.

My 401(k) funds didn't get lost during transfer from my employer to a rollover IRA!

That was kind of a nervous making thing given the amount involved. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/24/23 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Yeah, DW was kind of sweating bullets when she did that earlier this year.  I'm glad it worked out for you too.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/24/23 5:02 p.m.
Karacticus said:

My 401(k) funds didn't get lost during transfer from my employer to a rollover IRA!

How's that even possible?

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
4/24/23 5:27 p.m.
Peabody said:
Karacticus said:

How's that even possible?

Servicing my companies benefits feels like it's been contracted out to the lowest bidder--- you don't exactly feel confident they couldn't find a way. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YrvT31i3KVatgQMdkV9wsDoACZ53T0DglRQQJtmkK8Idh1H0xbt98H06GuBOV7zk