AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
11/20/17 7:17 a.m.

Picked up a parts car for the challenge car this weekend. Got soaking wet loading up in the rain, but it's going to be worth it!

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
11/20/17 5:42 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Build thread build thread build thread!

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/20/17 7:27 p.m.

New car has an Alpine headunit in it.  Actually very similar to the one that was in my Golf, and I transferred to my Quantum.  (I had that radio for 175,000mi!) I was a little disappointed, rather liking whatever Volvo sound engineer (I'll call him Bjorn) decided to do with the stock audio as far as specification and staging is concerned, but for now I'll take it.

Popped in an MP3 disk with a lot of different folders so I can see if I remember how to navigate folders in an Alpine headunit.  No idea what is on it, disk is labeled "MP3s, full".  Folder 2, track 1 is a high bitrate copy of Black Sabbath's Rat Salad/Fairies Wear Boots.

ICE is staying.  The hairs on the back of my neck stood up.  First time I have had in-car audio that was better than any headphones.  Sorry, Bjorn.

While putting some more disposable tires/wheels in the trunk so the ex-car can go to the junkyard on them and not the alloys with still-decent Sport Comps, I noted a hee-YUUGE amplifier.  And the deck speakers have magnets about as big as the cones.  Oh, my...

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
11/21/17 7:40 a.m.
cmcgregor said:

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Build thread build thread build thread!

Hmmm. I suppose I should consider starting that... I'm not really going to be able to get to work on it till spring though. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/21/17 4:51 p.m.

The trans in the S40 is NOT BROKEN.

The new right side axle slipped in its carrier bearing.  Never had an axle go in and out of engagement before.  And apparently the speedo gets its info from the ABS and not the trans.

D'OH

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
11/22/17 6:21 p.m.

This stuff is worth its weight in gold. I have never seen such a well behaved motor after assembly today. Thing used to leak air into it like a sieve. Rebuilt everything on the top end and carb along with a few new parts and I picked up ~3inHg idle smoothed out and now I am getting proper flow in the motor to get the fuel broken up. Car runs like a bat of of hell now. No more vacuum fluctuations. Got a facotry rubber spacer for the carb as well and got the transmission to kickdown properly as well.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
11/22/17 9:23 p.m.

Atleast ranger parts are cheap.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/24/17 7:16 p.m.

I like trains, Christmas lights, and live music. Sunday night i'm getting to se all three.  The CP Holiday train is going to be in Saratoga Springs so I'm meeting some friends and their kids up there,  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/24/17 7:17 p.m.

All you can eat seafood as a late birthday present.  So full im cosseyed.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/1/17 7:56 a.m.

The lab results from the chunk of flesh they removed came back as non cancerous. Stressful week over! Since my mom died just the word cancer freaks me out a bit.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
12/1/17 11:17 a.m.

Minor Win: A nice young lady from our Department of Family and Consumer Sciences just brought me a bag of freshly baked Christmas Cookies for fixing a piece of equipment for them.

Minor Rant: I know I'll end up eating them all.blush

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/1/17 11:25 a.m.
SaltyDog said:

Minor Win: A nice young lady from our Department of Family and Consumer Sciences just brought me a bag of freshly baked Christmas Cookies for fixing a piece of equipment for them.

Minor Rant: I know I'll end up eating them all.blush

Do you work at the ILSTU?

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
12/1/17 12:05 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Nope.

The OTHER red and white one a bit west of there.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/1/17 12:14 p.m.
SaltyDog said:

In reply to mtn :

Nope.

The OTHER red and white one a bit west of there.

Oh. Well. My condolences then. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
12/1/17 12:24 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

It's a great place to work. Summer's are nice and quiet, the students keep me entertained during the school year.

I have a machine shop and wood shop to keep me occupied. The first time I showed some students how to single point threads on an engine lathe, you would have thought I had performed a miracle of Biblical proportions.

Truly believe this place has added years to my life.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/1/17 12:40 p.m.

Resto-modding an older LeMond road bike.  Powdercoat is coming in about 75% of what I expected.  

Bling bling

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
12/1/17 4:44 p.m.

Looks like I'm spending part of next weekend with the new Continental. Sweet.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/1/17 6:48 p.m.
Wally said:

I like trains, Christmas lights, and live music. Sunday night i'm getting to se all three.  The CP Holiday train is going to be in Saratoga Springs so I'm meeting some friends and their kids up there,  

If you need a little get-away, you can stow away on the train, get off when it hits Saskatoon, and spend Christmas with me.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/3/17 7:44 a.m.

Reset the inertia switch for the fuel pump, took 4 hours to replace the starter, but the $400 Ranger fired up with no problems

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
12/3/17 9:36 a.m.

They gave us a block of cheese at the new job. I like cheese. 

Note: Italics unintentional, no sarcasm intended.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/3/17 9:40 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

I always wanted to take a picture of the sign at the supermarket that said "BIG BLOCK CHEESE".  Never did find the small-block cheese.

Minor win:  I drove my S40 after feeling pangs of regret for buying a new car, because the S40 is so awesome, and i discovered that even though the old car has WAY better steering feel and better brakes (???), I like the new car more.  So, no buyer's remorse.

Also:  It moves under its own power again after replacing the axle that fell apart, under warranty.  Cost to Knurled:  $0 for the axle.  ($100 for the tow bill, but that was to be paid regardless, and that's DAMNED CHEAP for a 45 mile tow)

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/3/17 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

It sounds tempting except it was cold enough here, I didn't know if I could go further north

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
12/3/17 10:40 a.m.
Knurled. said:

Also:  It moves under its own power again after replacing the axle that fell apart, under warranty.  Cost to Knurled:  $0 for the axle.  ($100 for the tow bill, but that was to be paid regardless, and that's DAMNED CHEAP for a 45 mile tow)

I paid more than that for a 15 mile tow.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/3/17 10:53 a.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Being able to say the words "I work for (repair shop that exclusively uses your towing company)" sure helped a lot.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
12/3/17 12:45 p.m.

Sold my lawnmower and associated paraphenalia for more than I paid for the lot of it several months ago, and in worse shape too, quite frankly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SnzhzhUv5JG2R6paB9d6QLGLpV2Lhuahfy7Eq0x4W9bBm9ut35bseCeRoxBbKR6f