Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/30/18 4:21 p.m.

Found this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHKZTEY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

since I have had some neatly styled light fixtures in the hall for a few years now - but they only take the European 2-post bulbs (Which are insanely expensive!).

Now they're using these with LED bulbs - more light at half the wattage as CFL. And no mercury!

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Reader
1/30/18 5:59 p.m.

For years i would ask my Dad how he's doing.   He would answer," Well I opened my eyes, it's going to be good day".  Now I'm approaching the age he started saying it.  You know what?  It is going to be a good day.   Life is good!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
1/31/18 8:19 a.m.
Greg Smith said:

Found this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHKZTEY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

since I have had some neatly styled light fixtures in the hall for a few years now - but they only take the European 2-post bulbs (Which are insanely expensive!).

Now they're using these with LED bulbs - more light at half the wattage as CFL. And no mercury!

Nice! 

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
1/31/18 7:32 p.m.

Sold the Jeep tonight to the first guy that came to look at it after for just under my asking price, which was still more than I had thought I would get. Three days on Craigslist, but could have sold it in one if I didn't have to work late the past two nights. Probably could have gotten full asking price too, since I had at least two other guys ready to come with cash in hand, but oh well, I think it went to a good home. Guy had his E36 M3 together and was easy to deal with too. Hope it works out for him.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
1/31/18 9:16 p.m.

Had a colonoscopy yesterday. Not normally a minor win but this was a two year post cancer follow up appointment. All was good and I don't need to see him for 5 years. Blood test and annual CAT scan is coming up in March. Hoping for more positive news. In this case no news really is good news.

Curtis
Curtis PowerDork
2/1/18 9:49 a.m.

I have been having a terrible time at work.  The new boss is not doing her job and is instead micromanaging everything and criticizing even my best work with passive aggressive put-downs.

I just learned on Monday she is resigning after a whopping 6 months of not even trying.

Ahhhhhh.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/1/18 9:54 a.m.

A lost critical item at work has been found.  It was going to be a $800,000 hit to the facility and several weeks/months of effort for me.  Ahhh :)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/1/18 9:21 p.m.

I watched an asshat weave in and out of lanes, riding up people's asses, myself included. It was the better part of 15 miles of this retarded game. Normally, this goes in the rant thread.

But not today. I did a few lane changes, but, usually just stayed the course and chilled out. Asshat never got ahead of me. I didn't force him out, but didn't give any to him. 

It was immensely satisfying.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/1/18 10:46 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I sat and watched a guy do a half dozen lane changes cutting in front of people and generally being a douche this morning, only to arrive at the same exit as me at the exact same time. Time saved for all his risk (both what he assumed and what he foisted off on others): Zero.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
2/3/18 7:45 p.m.

Since Wednesday, I moved from GA to Michigan, moved into my rental property (hope none of the roommates expect to use the garage), bought a bed and a sofa set, and made the drive to where I'll be working. 

I start on Monday. It's supposed to be a few inches (a Georgia ton) of snow tonight, and a low of 9* going into my 1st day Monday. Can't wait - New adventure and life's never been more exciting.

(Garage has no lights, no insulation, and 1 outlet - I'll be talking to the landlord about how we can upgrade!)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/3/18 8:02 p.m.

Bought a seat for the challenge car from a fellow grm member. 

Also, the stock miata driveshaft is the perfect lengt for the engine swap.

And the 3 inch exhaust is going to fit beautifully. 

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
2/3/18 11:27 p.m.

Last Thursday I had to leave work early for check up appointment on my broken foot. After that my wife wanted to go to her favorite thrift store, because they do 'Thrifty Thursday' where they have sale on one or more categories of items. 

I happily went along, because I got to spend a more relaxed afternoon with her, and I collect vintage tech manuals so you never know what you might find.

While shopping I found this Tamiya model

I knew I really didn't need it, and it has been years since I built plastic models... but, Tamiya are good kits and I was curious to what 'part 2' is.  

Looking around the shelves we find the box Labeled part2, and it contains a bunch of Tamiya and Testors paints.

I figure... Ok the paint is probably worth the $11 Price tag... let's look in the box and see how much of the kit was still there. I opened the box and found this:

A Badger Siphon feed airbrush sitting on top of the unassembled model kit...

SOLD!! laugh

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
2/5/18 10:55 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I used to do more lane changing a decade ago and could generally creep my way ahead of a given designated target car. But no (well... few!) risky lane changes and it was as much to keep me awake and focused on driving as anything else. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
2/5/18 12:50 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

That looks exactly like the garage at my first house (in Livonia, near Five Mile and Middlebelt).  I'm in Canton now.  Where's your new pad?

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
2/5/18 11:16 p.m.

After 3 years of searching and losing I finally got one of these.

Then in the same week I bought a tractor that I thought I would never see in my life.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/6/18 8:24 a.m.

OOOOH, a Gravely, and with the brake steering handle!  Nice.  That one looks really well maintained, too.  We had 2 Gravelys, one like that minus the steering bar and with a white hood, and one smaller manual start.  Those things were absolute workhorses.  I plowed a lot of snow and hogged a lot of brush with them.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/6/18 8:45 a.m.

And on the Minor Win topic (that was almost a Minor Rant):

Inspection is due on the TSX at the end of the month.  In Delaware you can run it through up to 90 days before expiration, which of course I haven't.  Yesterday morning it threw a CEL (automatic inspection failure) and the "Stability Control Off" warning lit up.  Great, something I now have less than 3 weeks to find and fix....

...but driving for a bit, and then restarting the car at a stoplight turned of the VSC warning.  And this morning on the way to work the CEL decided the problem was only temporary, and turned itself off too.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
2/6/18 9:45 a.m.
Duke said:

OOOOH, a Gravely, and with the brake steering handle!  Nice.  That one looks really well maintained, too.  We had 2 Gravelys, one like that minus the steering bar and with a white hood, and one smaller manual start.  Those things were absolute workhorses.  I plowed a lot of snow and hogged a lot of brush with them.

Thanks, it is my first modern Gravely. The steering brakes are awesome. We call the snow blower in the background a snow cannon. It will need some work but it should last the rest of my life.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
2/6/18 9:45 a.m.

Got to drive too work this morning in 4 1/2 inches of fresh snow. I love driving in powder before the plows get too it.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
2/7/18 9:42 a.m.

Progress continues to be slow on the ZHP, but my win from last night was that I got the performance headers installed on the block so I could do a motivational test startup. They sound insane!! I know the stock header back will tone it down a decent amount (which is necessary if I would want to drive more than 5 minutes without getting a headache.) but I think the end result will sound pretty nice!

Revving it just a little bit in the garage shook the dirt/dust down from the attic/ceiling, and the guy in the apartment above mine (garage out back, not attached to the house) heard it from up there and was impressed. 

It's really not just that it's loud, it sounds goooooood! 

I wasn't sure how long I was going to keep this car given the issues I've had, but the sound may convince me. Good ol' BMW inline 6! (That's part of what made me fall in love with my e28 too)

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/7/18 6:38 p.m.

I found the air in my brake system.  It was hiding in the inboard side of the left rear caliper.  Brake pedal is much better.

Rebalancing the tires didn't fix the bad 62mph shudder with the suspension set to "berk you I'm not moving", but it's completely gone with the suspension set to "Buick LeSabre".

Also minor win:  Cockpit adjustable suspension.  And suspension that has actual discernable difference in feel when an adjustment is made.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/7/18 7:25 p.m.

Had my yearly check up today. That sucks when you have the flu. However the doctor was impressed enough with my progress to discontinue my use of the blood pressure medication. That's a major win to me.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/7/18 8:39 p.m.
pjbgravely said:

After 3 years of searching and losing I finally got one of these.

Im so jealous!  I use this if its 70 series or taller.  Back when I lived in Michigan I knew a couple guys with machines I could use and just toss them a few bucks.  Luckily I found a guy locally who will do our  50 series Champcar tires fairly cheap.

CJ
CJ New Reader
2/7/18 10:10 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I'm sure you can't say, but do you do that something small enough to loose is worth $800K?  Wow

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
2/8/18 8:00 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

Or maybe the storage facility is, shall we say, ample?

The shop I used to work at would produce maintenance parts for a distillery that would often lose pretty big parts. Their parts storage was the old rack houses originally used for aging whiskey in barrels. 27 acres of rack houses. That's 1,176,120 square feet of what sounded to be a disorganized mess. I got paid to make parts, so I didn't mind.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fY2aVdSDL6y2GI5LWqj6GkiOU8XHX5jHrHuC0sdS3ATQeAyrjCXe1IXfuA7gDcnn