DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
6/2/18 3:51 p.m.

Today I phoned my parents on Vancouver Island because they're celebrating their 67th wedding anniversary. It's nice to have them living well and still in their own home. I feel particularly fortunate to be 66 years old and be able to call my parents when I need them, or just wish to. Life is good.smiley

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/2/18 3:54 p.m.

My wide open throttle switch idea works perfectly!

And i love my truck. 500 miles this week of comfort and joy.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
6/3/18 5:26 p.m.

Got myself a utility trailer today. Freebie. Looks like I'll be registering it in Maine, but the price was right, it holds my quads and fits my truck. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/3/18 5:46 p.m.

Scored free taillights, front rotors, and rear sway bar for the stepside today.

Friday i scored a $200 torsen for the challenge car. 

And to top it all off, got to cut up someone else's truck with a plasma cutter to clear big slicks!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/3/18 8:38 p.m.

Scored some free (used) Hoosiers today

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/3/18 11:47 p.m.

Win representative: my mom met Dick Smothers, of the Smothers Brothers fame in health food store this weekend. He was cracking jokes the whole time he was there. He took off in a nice little Porsche.

NickD
NickD UberDork
6/4/18 8:27 a.m.

Had my first autocross with the Miata now that it's supercharged. Ended up in a 3-way SSM Miata shootout with 2 turbocharged Miatas and came out victorious. This car is an absolute rocketship when it can get the power to the ground.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
6/4/18 9:32 a.m.

Last weekend I towed the parts e28 from my parents house over to my garage. Friday I had my little brother-in-law over because he wanted me to help him pickup a push mower from FB Marketplace. We decided to start tearing into the parts e28, and now it is completely in two piles. One pile of parts, one pile of scrap. Friday evening and most of the day Saturday was all it took. We are getting fast at this.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
6/4/18 3:19 p.m.

Major win: THIS IS MY 1000th POST!!! 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
6/6/18 6:51 p.m.

Major Win!

Just got home from the doctor's appointment with dad where we found out the results of his CAT scan and bone scan to see how far his cancer had spread.

It hasn't! No trace in his bones or anywhere else besides the one spot where his prostate used to be.

3 months of hormone therapy, then 3 months of radiation and more hormone therapy.

The oncologist, urologist, and whoever the heck the third doc was all said that they foresee a full recovery. At his age, 83, I was more than a little bit worried.  smiley

Now as long as Mom doesn't kill him when the hormone therapy causes the mood swings the doctors warned us about.....

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/6/18 9:54 p.m.

Is there anything sriracha cannot do?

I just reanimated some five day old instant pizza by dumping a couple tablespoons of sriracha on it.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
6/6/18 10:07 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

That is GREAT news.  All the best.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
6/6/18 10:10 p.m.

Put new suspension parts in my car today.   All went well.  Now I have 2 vehicles, that I would drive anywhere, any time.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
6/7/18 6:29 a.m.

Washed the Miata.

yesterday it popped some coolant smoke after a trip to redline, it appears to be a poorly seated radiator cap.  All good.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
6/7/18 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

Thank you!

It's quite e relief!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/7/18 7:35 a.m.

There's something going on with Deucekid#3's upper jaw. Biopsy tomorrow to figure out what. The good part of this is that whatever it is was found when she's completely asymptomatic. We have a mind bendingly good orthodontist that decided to take an extra x-ray during a retainer check because she just thought a particular tooth should be moving down faster. She's also good friends with an oral surgeon so she got us in for a better x-ray and an opinion the next day. 
From a routine retainer check on Tuesday to a biopsy on Friday, we have good medical professionals in our lives, and that's a win. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
6/7/18 7:47 a.m.

My thoughts are with you.  Try to keep the sunny side up.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/7/18 5:35 p.m.

After the system screwed me, i decided to take a few minutes and try to clean up some challenge car parts.

The win? The first round is the last round! Superclean and a pressure washer made quite quick work of incredibly nasty parts. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
6/8/18 8:32 a.m.

The FCC just approved me for a new vanity call sign: K0PEL.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/8/18 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

Thanks. Biopsy went well. They hurried the sample off to the lab which freaks me the berk out. Again, good doctors, good insurance, lots to be happy about. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
6/8/18 10:14 p.m.

My wife informed me that there was more cash than I thought in my fun car stuff budget so I don’t necessarily need to sell the beater minivan after buying the Oldsmobile wagon.

That makes me happy because I have an irrational affection for that crappy van.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/8/18 11:53 p.m.

I had to return a $500 engine core to Edmonton, so instead of trucking it, a friend and I drove it back.  There is a classic car show at the Reynolds Museum tomorrow, which left us looking for fun on a Friday evening.  Luckily, there is a dirt oval here, and it was covered with 360 sprints, late models, and ministocks.  Best ten bucks I've spent in quite a while.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
6/9/18 4:09 p.m.

Worked on the Suzuki a bit more today.  Got the timing belt on (a really stupid design and far harder than it aught to be).  Still didn’t start and just could not figure out why.  Neighbor pointed out that the cams were reversed (the intake side cam clearly said “exhaust”).   I took them off (and in my defense it says both “intake” and “exhaust”) and promptly did it again.  So I took them off AGAIN and bolted the effing things on correctly.

Fought the stupid timing belt back on and it fired right up!!  My head gasket replacement seems to be perfect, no smoking, overheating, or leaks.  Threw a can of refrigerant in the AC and ice cubes started blowing out the vents.  Get it registered and knock the rust off the brakes and we have an ideal teenager car!

$450 into so far.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/10/18 11:21 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I had to return a $500 engine core to Edmonton, so instead of trucking it, a friend and I drove it back.  There is a classic car show at the Reynolds Museum tomorrow, which left us looking for fun on a Friday evening.  Luckily, there is a dirt oval here, and it was covered with 360 sprints, late models, and ministocks.  Best ten bucks I've spent in quite a while.

And, the show at Reynolds was really good.  Easily 500 cars, plus the museum cars.  Everything from tiller steered electric cars to a Tesla.  

The other 498 were gas powered.

Well, except for an original 1950 Kenworth.  At first glance, looked like the new square nose ones.  I expected it to look 40's, not 90's.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/10/18 12:00 p.m.

I started permanently installing parts on the challenge car today. This feels GOOD.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
74OF4ssOpK60NnrITcVMTdsAZf8naU72DxLpcaswpsMabKSs5bv8H8eQAwnNliRe