Antihero
Antihero Dork
5/5/19 2:22 p.m.

Sold our old broken lawn mower for $50, guy showed up, paid full price and there was no muss, no fuss.

And this was listed on Facebook Marketplace, cant believe how little effort went into this sale vs every other one

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/5/19 6:22 p.m.
chandler said:
84FSP said:

Got rabbit back on the road for some commuting at high rpms...

Your car isn’t the one with the tailgate stamping on the hatch is it?

Nope - just a smooth shaved bunny bottom.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/5/19 6:34 p.m.

Used to be one at Treffen every year looked the same but they had cut the Volkswagen out of a tailgate and inserted it at the bottom edge of the hatch. It was pretty cool

tb
tb Dork
5/9/19 7:47 p.m.

My wife gets me and is my biggest enabler

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
5/9/19 9:18 p.m.

I finally fixed something on the Passat in a single try!!

The cooling fans has died an inexplicable death and the poor car had started to run hot in traffic (thanks female driver for not noticing the gauge pointing at the red zone!)

I did a bit of research and it appears that the fan controller is nearly always the culprit.  New controller from AZ is $89.95 but from Bezos & Co I could buy an entire new fan assembly with integrated controller for just $110.   Ordered it.  Pulled out the old one, stuffed in the new one.......AND IT WORKS!!   Nothing on this absurdly over engineered piece of German iron has ever been that easy, but I mended it!

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
5/10/19 12:07 p.m.

I took a vacation day to go to a bachelor party, but had some time this morning to go to the junkyard. 

Got some good parts - a new fan assembly and temperature switch for the BMW, the upper radiator cover/shroud, and 2 fog lights. Hopefully these solve my cooling problems and make the front end look more complete!

I also got some headlight bezels from a 60s BelAir that I'll hope to use as decorations in our new house.

Also, we have a new closing date a week from today! Whoo!

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/10/19 12:16 p.m.

In reply to tb :

Happy Birthday!!

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
5/10/19 3:25 p.m.

Lost my job back in February but I got a decent severance package so no hard feelings.  I took the rest of the winter off and did some travelling with the wife. 

At the beginning of April I decided I better start looking for a new job. Called a few contacts and got a few offers. Picked what seemed like the best fit and it’s working out well so far. As a bonus I got bumped up to 6 weeks vacation and an extra $35k a year. Not enough to leave my old position for but since my old position left me it’s kinda the icing on the cake.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
5/10/19 8:41 p.m.

I just watched a 500 Abarth drag race a Dodge 3500 flatbed Cummins through an intersection. It was berkeleying hilarious and I needed a laugh today.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/10/19 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

Who won?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/10/19 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

I'm sorry, an extra $35k/year? Uhh, I am not poor and that is still a ton of money to me. Congrats!!

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
5/10/19 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

The 500 got the holeshot and had the truck by a fender through the intersection, but just as the Dodge was starting to pull even the Fiat let up. The Cummins would have won through the 1/4 mile.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
5/10/19 10:04 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Same, I'd be ecstatic with either the $35k OR 6 weeks vacation. Given the choice, right now I'd probably take the latter. Congrats Wayslow!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/11/19 12:07 p.m.

It has rained the last couple weeks every time I’ve had a chance to mow the lawn, so the grass is pretty friggin tall. As I was mowing the backyard, I thought “boy it would be really nice if Somebody would make me lunch.” Just as I open the door, my wife says “hey I made you a quesadilla.”

tb
tb Dork
5/11/19 12:21 p.m.
Wally said:

In reply to tb :

Happy Birthday!!

Thanks. Mine was the 9th, wife's was yesterday the 10th, 6 year anniversary is today on the 11th, tomorrow is Mother's day on the 12th and I just got back from my 4 year old daughter's first ballet recital... one long celebration over here!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/19 1:22 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Wayslow :

I'm sorry, an extra $35k/year? Uhh, I am not poor and that is still a ton of money to me. Congrats!!

That's more than I make in a year. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
5/11/19 4:51 p.m.

The ranger lives again!

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
5/11/19 7:32 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Wayslow :

I guess I should clarify that it isn’t all in take home wages. It includes a better pension as well as company shares. I do end up with an extra $1,000 per month, after tax, so I’m pretty happy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/19 8:00 p.m.

Oh, I'm not bagging on you. No way. I'm glad for you. 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
5/11/19 11:21 p.m.

I found a $700-$900 LP at Savers today.

Same pressing as this (mine might actually be in better shape):

Expensive record

It was one dollar.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
5/11/19 11:25 p.m.
tb said:

My wife gets me and is my biggest enabler

Happy birthday. The 9th was my 40th too.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/12/19 9:28 a.m.
Daylan C said:

Finally quit berking around and started working on the garage. Goal is to have my Mustang parked inside before the day is over.

I this is actually a huge improvement over what it was  yesterday morning believe it or not.

Win: a car fits now. Not so win: the car in there isn't mine

Also the square peg I need to cram into this particular round hole is  noticeably larger than an xB.

Oh and the roof needs fixed...and...a lot of other things.

Also ignore the xB. It will be gone soon.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/13/19 9:21 a.m.

About a month ago I helped my 11 year old son build a mix master gaming computer, he has been wanting one for a while.  The first game he go was Mechanic Simulator and he has been playing at it off and on.  Last weekend while we were at Mid Ohio we walked past one of the Cadillac DPi machines with the front clip off and Tyler says "Look, there is the ABS module, just like the ones in the game".  I had a big smile on my face after that.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
5/13/19 9:28 a.m.

I've sold two vehicles in two weeks and have a third one on its way out today or tomorrow. I'm pumped.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/13/19 9:37 a.m.
Powar said:

I've sold two vehicles in two weeks and have a third one on its way out today or tomorrow. I'm pumped.

I need to follow in your footsteps. Two extra cars on hand right now.

My minor win this weekend - I had been considering buying a storm damaged Rainbow Castle play set. A big one, with 4 swings, tire swing, monkey bars, etc etc. The guy was asking $350 but I was uncomfortable with what I saw as far as additional rot when I looked in person, so put it off and hemmed and hawed. He messaged me Saturday to say the play set was now free, and I spent my Sunday morning to early afternoon disassembling it and moving it home. I found a lot more rot than I expected so I'm sure glad I didn't pay the $350. It might not be my best decision, but it's home and I can at least use most of the parts and the damaged parts can be a template for new stuff.

The main beam that went off to the side to support the swings was a tree hit casualty. The A-frame supporting the end also took a hit. I should be able to get this together with about $200 or so in new lumber.

The other win was I used my 1970 Ford F250 to move it and, along with my friend's diesel Cummins managed to do it in one trip. Driving my truck puts a smile on my face.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qN3HiRMZCIBjkyc1l2J11xFvEmIMXcPHNr8GIJSGNzXh5vNMQHpFk52ETCJAXg8j