Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/30/19 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

It would have been awesome with good tires and a good diff.  Maybe.

Oddly enough I just bought a set of wheels that would have been perfect for it, both in fitment and aesthetics.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
5/30/19 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Its got "better" tires now. I havent decided if its getting a diff. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/30/19 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

More annoying was the correct spline count and offset Chevy 10-bolt diff at Summit for $100 last month that would have been perfect for it.

That requires modifying the housing for clearance, though, and Prepared specifically says stock unmodified housing.  My plan for the car was a Lock-Rite in an open diff, which should fit an open case.  (I think that is the product - it is Locker style internals for an open diff, and I like the Locker in the RX-7)

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/30/19 12:29 p.m.

My kid FINALLY got his E36 M3 organized and got registered for his summer college classes. They start Monday so this was cutting it close. In his defense the classes have to be scheduled through his high school, on a slip of paper, because he only just finished his sophmore year, and the conselor involved is a flake. Holy crap has this caused a lot of stress and friction between the two of us. So glad it actually worked. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/30/19 7:57 p.m.

Dad's got this old chain saw put away, Pro Mac 10-10

me googles for tune up parts

57cc oughta be a berkeleying hot rod

my new project 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/31/19 8:48 p.m.
fasted58 said:

my new project 

Didn't they used to use MacCullough (I spelled that horribly wrong, and I'm sorry) 2-stroke engines for karts back in the day?

Memory is hazy but fed by having borrowed the same 1960s-era kart book from the library about thirty times when I was a kid.  (Tex something-or-other...  I did say memory is hazy!)

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/1/19 7:07 a.m.

i have an engineering issue that I was trying to figure out how to solve with off the shelf parts.  I stared at pictures of the problem while making breakfast (diced potato, fried egg) and I got so lost in thought that I forgot about the potato on the stove, so I turned the heat all the way down and went back to staring.

I had a eureka moment, and I can do it with very easily accessible parts and a couple swipes with a grinder.

Win part two, is the extended time on low heat made the diced potato more awesome than usual.  Cooking is generally not my forte because I am way too impatient for it...

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/1/19 10:15 a.m.
Knurled. said:
fasted58 said:

my new project 

Didn't they used to use MacCullough (I spelled that horribly wrong, and I'm sorry) 2-stroke engines for karts back in the day?

Memory is hazy but fed by having borrowed the same 1960s-era kart book from the library about thirty times when I was a kid.  (Tex something-or-other...  I did say memory is hazy!)

Yes they did.

Ha, the library was the pron site of the day for young gear heads.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
6/1/19 7:27 p.m.

So my new ECU works and the car runs, off to the dyno to get the final tune dialed in.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
6/2/19 6:39 a.m.

Took my bench vise apart. It's had a part interfering with the handle ever since I got it. Disassembled, ground down the offending lip, then realized it was missing a bearing.(bushing?)

I only realized this because of watching some of the YouTube channels where they restore tools... thanks to here.

So, hey why not?

Took it apart further and found a bushing at my local hardware store that should work if cut down. Sanded it down to depth and reassembled. and the vise would not go back together. So I took the other half apart and was able to get it greased and reassembled. SO nice to have it working right like it never really has since I've owned it!

Mike
Mike SuperDork
6/2/19 2:22 p.m.

Need to put posts into concrete for patio string light project. The missus and I are debating how to keep the posts upright. There is tape and ratchet straps mentioned. She suggests sawhorses with a ratchet strap. I suggest we could use the ratchet straps with the ladder.

The missus misunderstands my suggestion as having been something miles better than anything either of us actually suggested.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
6/2/19 3:20 p.m.

Just hit the send button on a huge project  that has pushed me to the limit for the last three weeks. Endless nights and weekend work. Feels good to be done, I guess. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
6/3/19 5:40 p.m.

Hung on for 2nd fastest street tire car yesterday.  It seems my RE-71s may have reached the end of their competitiveness.

BUT!  I have new ones ready to go on this week and next event should be pretty lively.  Race seats coming and lightweight batteries are only $80.   So hopefully I can get back to thrashing half the Hoosier bois around the cones.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/4/19 4:51 p.m.

My wife and I went to Bend for the weekend, and she finally tried mountain biking, and had fun!

Also, Bend's trails are super cool. I dig that high desert.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
6/4/19 7:05 p.m.

Found out KazooJr. and I did better than I thought last weekend.  I was 13 of 83 raw, 8 of 83 PAX.  KazooJr. was 23 raw, 15 PAX.  Proud dad moment.  

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
6/5/19 10:07 a.m.
kazoospec said:

Found out KazooJr. and I did better than I thought last weekend.  I was 13 of 83 raw, 8 of 83 PAX.  KazooJr. was 23 raw, 15 PAX.  Proud dad moment.  

Dang, that is impressive.

I should have included that Allroad Jr (17 years old) was my co-driver and was only 1.5 seconds off my time.   It was enough for him to get 44th raw and 45th PAX in a field of 85 drivers.  To my 10th raw and 9th PAX. 

He’s improving every event and I look forward to the day he beats me (gonna make the lad work for it though)!

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
6/5/19 9:00 p.m.

Rough day at the office.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
6/6/19 8:38 a.m.

The single share of Zynga I got from MTNs robin hood link last year is now up $2 from when I got it. It's worth almost a pack of cigarettes now.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
6/6/19 9:44 a.m.

Today is weigh-in. Gonna mostly stick with the diet, but the freedom to eat "regular" food once in a while (on a date with the mrs, for example) is a huge relief. Also Pizza. Also pretty sure I killed this competition, which means $$$. First place affords me a new guitar amp and car parts. It'll be a good day either way.

*edit:

36.4lbs lost. 17.75% in 3 months. Down 8% body fat. Woot!

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
6/6/19 9:57 a.m.

Renewed driver license and two plates in Ohio this morning in about 20 minutes, including the new "Compliant" Big Brother-qualified version.  (3rd plate was a personalized SWMBO bought me for the b'day a few weeks ago.)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/7/19 5:56 p.m.

Just got out for a quick road ride with my daughter.  At 17, I feel pretty fortunate to have a common interest with her.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/7/19 7:09 p.m.

Was told in passing today that I should expect a substantial raise next paycheck.

We goin' to Applebees after this.

If all continues as it has been, it should amount to almost exactly one FoRS monthly payment.

Maybe next year, if something shinier doesn't attract my attention first.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
6/7/19 10:01 p.m.

Results in today on the company weight loss competition. I won! Got some tax free winnings and now I get to gloat. Been trash talking for three months and now I can add some Jeremy clarkson smugness. Also bought a personal unicorn guitar. Tried to eat a celebratory cookie and thought I was gonna be sick. But I feel pretty good physically and pretty flush. Winning is good. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/7/19 10:05 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Nice job!  Winning is better than finishing 9th.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/7/19 11:26 p.m.

What the berkeley did I just do? Oh, Christ, I think I just bought a house.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OmLqYSdWaQOkJMZvsWdi4Gayb5QT37xSObCq79ve7WUc6yQg3XrRFcfXQOgO06Fv