Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
7/21/19 9:25 p.m.

I changed the impeller on my outboard motor today. Honda made this an easy job, since it's a frequent maintenance item. I'm glad I got in there, it needed to be done. I'm now comfortable using my boat. Most of the summer may be gone, but it'll see 6 solid days of constant use coming up soon.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/22/19 9:17 a.m.

Sold my FIL's boat yesterday. Guy messaged me on facebook, after a tiny bit of back and forth we got on the phone. Apparently there is an enthusiast for every model of boat, because he had been searching out this exact model of boat for months--and he wanted to drive ~7 hours each way to pick it up. I mean, don't get me wrong, it is a nice boat and a good family boat, but I was shocked he couldn't find something similar where he lives. Well, he told me he could but he liked my FIL's model. Okedoke, I understand that, but I told him I wouldn't trust the trailer that far. "Oh, no worries, send me the lug pattern and tire size and I'll bring all my tools".

This guy showed up within 5 minutes of our agreed meeting time after a 390 mile drive, looked the boat up and down, was super excited. We drove it to the launch, put it in, he liked just about everything about it, handed me the money, we handed him the titles, and he  proceeds to start changing the tires and repacking the bearings. It may have been the best sale I've ever been a part of.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/22/19 10:11 a.m.

An old friend contacted me this morning out of the blue offering a seat at Gingerman ChampCar. I haven't been wheel-to-wheel in... 6 years?

The want is strong. I miss the sound of a classic Italian 6 at full chat.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
7/22/19 10:16 a.m.

Great story, MTN! It sounds like the boat went to a real enthusiast.

Ever feel like you missed something important after a sale like that? You know, like maybe that particular boat was special in some way. Maybe I'm just paranoid when things go that easy.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/22/19 10:21 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Great story, MTN! It sounds like the boat went to a real enthusiast.

Ever feel like you missed something important after a sale like that? You know, like maybe that particular boat was special in some way. Maybe I'm just paranoid when things go that easy.

No, I really wasn't. It was a nice boat, but nothing special about it. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/22/19 4:21 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

If it’s a matter of $ keeping you out of that race, I’m in for $20.  Who’s with me?

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/22/19 9:25 p.m.

My shift is getting changed at work so I have a 4 day weekend to work on the wagon now. Also going to have normal weekends from now on. (Well still 3 days, just Friday-Sunday and not Thursday-Saturday)

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/22/19 11:50 p.m.

The Mudstain got fresh gear oil in the diff and trans, a new timing belt and tensioner, and I found the source of the annoying noise I get under engine braking. I even cut the grass today. For feeling like utter garbage I had a pretty decent day. 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
7/23/19 12:55 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

If it’s a matter of $ keeping you out of that race, I’m in for $20.  Who’s with me?

I'm in for $20

Heck, i wish I was closer.  I got a metric butt-ton of parts for an Alf GTV6 laying around...

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/23/19 2:06 p.m.

One debt left! And just got it changed from 5.75% to 3.99% so I'll call that a win too.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
7/23/19 4:01 p.m.

Flyin' Miata decided they had too many of the exhaust I wanted for the Miata, so they knocked off $100 (and offered free shipping!)

Actual pick of my finding what I wanted on the "clearance" list:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/23/19 4:33 p.m.

Just had a second meeting with a prospective financial advisor. Based on what he showed us, looks like we can swing having DW retire in 2-3 years, and me in 3-5 years. And none of it using proprietary investments.

That would have us both done working by 60. Which is good, because I don’t come from a line of long-lifers. 

daeman
daeman Dork
7/23/19 4:37 p.m.

I've been ranting and venting a bit on here lately. But yesterday some good news came!

I got a call from both the real estate agent and our solicitor. Agent told me the seller had finally signed and returned the contract of sale for the house we're buying. The solicitor confirmed contracts had officially exchanged and the seller had agreed to reduce settlement to 28 days from 35 because they were slow in signing the contract. 

The best bit, we could possibly settle even sooner still. Apparently, because we're paying cash and not subject to finance, the vendor is willing to settle as soon as their bank is ready to take payment and discharge their mortgage! We could own a new house in under a couple of weeks!

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/23/19 5:19 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:
AngryCorvair said:

I'm in for $20

Heck, i wish I was closer.  I got a metric butt-ton of parts for an Alf GTV6 laying around...

Hell no, I got the moolah, that's just the end of a not-great week to leave work early. I will probably do it anyway.

Angry, if you want, I could probably wrangle you a seat. Bill, you're welcome too, but geographical challenges... I'll mention your euro-spec parts to the team manager, though.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/23/19 6:39 p.m.

A canoe post has me listening to Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" album.  I did that a lot in high school, since the tape was permanently in a friend's stereo and I practically lived at his house when I wasn't at school or sleeping.

Bass, guitar, drums, vocals.  Simple and effective.  There's a reason why Black Sabbath ruled.

(There's a FARK user named "The First Four Black Sabbath Albums")

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/23/19 6:51 p.m.

Thanks for the offer!  Another time, perhaps.  Challenge build is my sole objective for 2019.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/23/19 8:29 p.m.

Minor win: the wheels I bought look great on my Town Car.

For the related lug nut rant, see the rants thread.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/23/19 10:07 p.m.

Sounds like I'm getting a 4 ft square piece of 3/8"armor plate for cheap.  Should make an adequate welding table.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/24/19 7:40 a.m.
RevRico said:

Sounds like I'm getting a 4 ft square piece of 3/8"armor plate for cheap.  Should make 2 adequate silhouette targets.

Ftfy. Nothing like the positive feedback of a steea target.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
7/24/19 8:27 a.m.

The Dancer's new doctor hopefully has finally gotten to the bottom of her problems and she's making an effort again to lose weight with some confidence that it will actually work this time around, and since I could certainly use dropping a few dozen pounds myself at this point I'm along for the ride too. One of the related things I wanted to do was to wean myself back off of caffeine again as a few months ago when I was having to stay up later nights I switched back from the hibiscus tea I had been drinking since my high blood pressure scare at the beginning of the year to my old black tea in the mornings. 

The first two days of this week I made a blend of hibiscus and black tea- and finally today made it without the black tea in it. It's not much, but it's a start.

I've also resolved that I'm going to start making and bringing in salads for my lunches again consistently- they're a double-bonus of being a healthy lunch while also being far more cost effective meals than getting lunch out, something that will be helpful with the budget crunch we're likely going to have while we finish up the cabin.

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
7/24/19 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I quit caffeine cold turkey at the beginning of the year and it is a week of misery. You will have a headache for at least 5 days.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
7/24/19 9:03 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

The good news is that I didn't really drink much of it (normal days was just the one cup of black tea in the mornings), and slowly ramping down the amount of black tea in the mix over the last few days has seemed to help.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/24/19 9:40 a.m.
Knurled. said:

A canoe post has me listening to Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" album.  I did that a lot in high school, since the tape was permanently in a friend's stereo and I practically lived at his house when I wasn't at school or sleeping.

Bass, guitar, drums, vocals.  Simple and effective.  There's a reason why Black Sabbath ruled.

(There's a FARK user named "The First Four Black Sabbath Albums")

There is something to be said for simple and effective, not that complicated prog isn't cool at times too but it's cool to know that Iommi wrote Paranoid in a few minutes when they needed another song 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
7/25/19 3:41 a.m.

An email went out to the entire company that I think usually only goes to the main offices asking for requests to get interns. We applied even though we’ve never seen a road office have one before and we ended up getting one.  We’re swamped with paperwork so he comes at a really good time.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
7/25/19 10:29 a.m.
JohnInKansas said:
Hungary Bill said:
AngryCorvair said:

I'm in for $20

Hell no, I got the moolah, that's just the end of a not-great week to leave work early. I will probably do it anyway.

Angry, if you want, I could probably wrangle you a seat. Bill, you're welcome too, but geographical challenges... I'll mention your euro-spec parts to the team manager, though.

You have a PM sir wink

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mixfGP6tkOH64gVlabHbM8KSqiLFLSqccIcbfLK8Zdw7jtecqQYolePaiQNVYQxY