Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/1/21 12:58 p.m.

Looks like the old battery in this thing was a regular 12V lead battery.  Can I just modfiy the wiring and throw an old car battery on it?  Cause I'll be damned if I have another 3D print fail so close to being done for a power failure that  I would have missed if I blinked at the right time.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/1/21 1:17 p.m.

I think I'd try wiring up a larger SLA battery first. What amp/hour size battery did it come with? You could wire up a few SLA batteries in parallel for more capacity.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/1/21 1:18 p.m.

Assuming that the battery in the UPS was 12v, it's possible.

Every battery type has specific charge needs.  SLA should work, and as long as the car battery isn't something funky like AGM it should work.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/1/21 1:25 p.m.

The charging specs on the battery look fairly similar to a car battery on a trickle charger.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/1/21 10:06 p.m.

You can, so long as it's not an AGM and you're okay with it's lifespan being low. Car batteries were made to be drained to 50% and quickly recharged afterwards, so if you loose power and it's below 50% for more than a couple of hours it's lifespan will be pretty trash.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/1/21 10:13 p.m.

Not 100% concerned in lifespan.  Its a spare battery that I'm eyeing using, and generally the power only goes out for less than a minute here.  More looking at this route because I have everything on hand and I'm being a cheap ass for now.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
9/1/21 11:07 p.m.

That is a rechargeable sealed lead acid battery. A car battery is a unsealed (some are sealed) lead acid battery. As GQ pointed out, there is some minor structure that is different between a starting battery (that's what he described) and a "deep cycle" battery, but the difference is fairly minor for your needs. Until the zombie apocalypse happens, you'll prolly never discharge it as much as starting a car would!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
9/2/21 8:22 a.m.

A deep-cycle Marine battery might be a better option.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/2/21 9:32 a.m.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
9/2/21 3:12 p.m.

Nice. Let us know how that works. I have a couple around with bad batteries, I could put them to use.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/2/21 3:23 p.m.

In reply to llysgennad :

I did a quick test while printing a benchy. Unplugged the UPS at the wall for a couple seconds,  seems to do the trick.  Again, who knows till it actually becomes necessary though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ecjz9u6XObFWU7ojk2nxTGKdcd2yaFx5G9UwVoUGFzHUnGflAWDqiTSbLCR0OcFz