1 2 3
pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
10/21/11 12:21 p.m.

Let's say an eccentric billionaire decides to pay you a good salary to race for as long as you want, in whatever series you want. Could be lawnmowers, you still get a high 6-figure salary to do it. Doesn't matter if you win or loose, you make the same $. And there is plenty of $$$ to build the best vehicle the series allows.

So what would you race? Would you lower the danger factor a bit? Would you go for fame?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/21/11 12:25 p.m.

Go for fun. My preference would be a rally series.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
10/21/11 12:28 p.m.

Bench Racing.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/21/11 12:40 p.m.

Touring car racing. Nothing is more entertaining ... and for all the dramatic fender-banging - the tin tops rarely have career ending injuries. It is everywhere too, so plenty of exotic locals from Bathurst to Spa to Oulton Park to Watkins Glen... south america and japan are all over it too.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
10/21/11 12:41 p.m.

I'd say the Continental Tire challenge.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
10/21/11 12:49 p.m.

I almost hate to say it (to me, it sounds like I'm "giving up" ), but I think I'd go vintage racing. Get me an old B-Sedan BMW 2002 and just enjoy driving the thing. A little polite dicing from time to time, but nothing that would break the 13/13 rule.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/21/11 12:51 p.m.

I'm not sure if i could decide between Rally (tarmac, dirt, ice, doesn't matter), Hillclimb, Time Attack, or Touring Cars...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/21/11 12:52 p.m.

Part of me really wants to play with dirt track Sprint cars but I think really I want to do rallying or vintage racing.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/21/11 12:53 p.m.

Rally. No question.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/21/11 12:53 p.m.

Rally, just not the kind where you can drive off a cliff and die easily.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
10/21/11 12:54 p.m.

ProMods with some Aussie V8 Supercar thrown in.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
10/21/11 12:54 p.m.

Touring cars, Rally or a Formula Series. Probably touring cars or late 80's DTM...

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
10/21/11 1:14 p.m.

Cannon Ball Run. ( A real one )

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/21/11 1:14 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Rally, just not the kind where you can drive off a cliff and die easily.

That's what these are for. Although it is very difficult to win by crashing, and it's walking that fine line between "fast enough" and "too fast" over roads you've never seen before that is really addictive.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
10/21/11 1:16 p.m.

LeMans / ALMS.

Oh, and Rally. Just not WRC, they suck now.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/21/11 1:22 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Oh, and Rally. Just not WRC, they suck now.

Let's see, we have three drivers within three points for the championship and two rallies left. There is an all-out fracas in Spain RIGHT NOW as the most successful rally driver of all time tries to fend off both a fast upstart and a quick and consistent perpetual bridesmaid to defend the title.

And they're still going fast enough to give nosebleeds to spectators, and it would be a huge challenge to break into the top 20. What's not to like?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
10/21/11 1:24 p.m.

I think I would go for Targa Rally, with my friend Jordan as the navigator.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
10/21/11 1:51 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Javelin wrote: Oh, and Rally. Just not WRC, they suck now.
Let's see, we have three drivers within three points for the championship and two rallies left. There is an all-out fracas in Spain RIGHT NOW as the most successful rally driver of all time tries to fend off both a fast upstart and a quick and consistent perpetual bridesmaid to defend the title. And they're still going fast enough to give nosebleeds to spectators, and it would be a huge challenge to break into the top 20. What's not to like?

The fact that every single damn car is as identical as a NASCAR. Booooooooring

I'd much rather go back to the 90's/00's with actual production-based cars all battling it out (Focus vs WRX vs Xsara vs EVO etc) or even the 70's/80's greatness that was Group B, the Stratos, the 037, and the Ur-Quattro.

I can get stupid-close points and race finishes 40 times a year in NASCAR. The manufacturer battle years were faaaaaaaar more interesting.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
10/21/11 2:00 p.m.

Lotus 23 in vintage racing FTW!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
10/21/11 2:08 p.m.
Keith wrote: And they're still going fast enough to give nosebleeds to spectators, and it would be a huge challenge to break into the top 20. What's not to like?

While better with the new cars, the WRC (and its competition) lost a lot of its "character" with the invention of the new-era WRC car (think 2007 up until this year). The cars stopped moving around as much as they used to, which made for more boring entertainment.

Anyways, ANY sort of rally. I've done lots of racing... nothing compares to going 150+km/h sideways over a jump on dirt/snow/ice. And then at the next event, you get to race on public paved roads doing hairpins and jumps. I like the wheel to wheel aspect of road course racing, but if someone said one thing, it'd be rally.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/21/11 2:10 p.m.
Javelin wrote: LeMans / ALMS.

Me, too.

While I love watching all open wheel racing, the only time I wish I could be on the pit wall is when I watch endurance racing.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
10/21/11 2:19 p.m.
failboat wrote: Bench Racing.

I think I could actually stand a chance at this.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
10/21/11 2:20 p.m.

Jet Sprint Boats.

Boats with roll cages kick ass.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
10/21/11 2:23 p.m.

Probably some kind of touring car racing. Continental Challenge, Koni, stuff like that. Production based Door to door racing any day.

monark192
monark192 Reader
10/21/11 3:09 p.m.

Build This

With one of these

And Enter the Carrera Panamericana

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z8kNEcAs40QNJWWZvN0arP1NT4gWJ4XufSxJBTc10ipMHMupk0Af1Cu82lKlPTzq