1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
3/19/11 11:36 a.m.

I thought this would be a fun thread for everyone.

Question #1) What movies have good car chases that aren't the popular car chase movies (Bullitt, Gone in 60 Seconds, Ronin, etc.)? In otherwords, not a popular car guy movie.

Question #2) What newer movies (2000 and up) have the best car eye candy?

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/19/11 11:43 a.m.

1)the original Italian Job

dkarthik
dkarthik New Reader
3/19/11 11:50 a.m.

1) Made for TV Vanishing point (1997)

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/19/11 11:52 a.m.

Much as I like Viggo Mortenson... that was one god-awful movie.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/19/11 12:23 p.m.

The Transporter series was decent.

The Bourne movies had some good chases...or at least the first one did.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle New Reader
3/19/11 12:41 p.m.

Days of Thunder...

The scene with the Lumina and Taurus beating and banging down the beach.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
3/19/11 1:11 p.m.

I'm going to have to go with the Road Warrior. But then, I'm weird.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
3/19/11 2:01 p.m.

i know not everyone liked it but i loved Death Proof. real cars at real speed just looks right.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
3/19/11 2:51 p.m.

I was watching the movie "The Seven-Ups" this week and while not as good as some chase scenes in some movies, the really long one through NYC that ends in the car under a tractor trailer truck is ....different.

While watching it, I thought, odd, no police cars...then 1 "popped up" and very few bad collisions while driving through (ridiculously) light traffic in NYC.

Also, not really a "classic" chase scene, but in the movie "What's Up Doc", they did a decent job recreating the kinds of chase sequences last seen in silent movies. Ryan O'Neal and BaBa in that VW were fairly funny.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/19/11 2:58 p.m.

I liked the chase scene with smart roadsters in Night And Day. You can see clips from the chase in this trailer

BTW, I just found out that last year there were rumors that the Mercedes-Benz and Renault partnership might resurrect the smart roadster....they may use the Renault Wind platform.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
3/19/11 3:41 p.m.

not a movie, but the new GEICO commercial has a pretty awesome car chase scene- i think i even saw a hub cap fly off around a corner, which to me is the most important part in any chase scene.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
3/19/11 4:05 p.m.

The BMW did a fun series of videos several years back, each basically to advertise one of their cars, but they actually had action hero plots and were directed by big name directors with Clive Owen as "the driver".

I especially liked the E39 M5/Madonna one, directed by Guy Richie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srrbvNNUKrA

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
3/19/11 5:15 p.m.

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World?

Rat Race?

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
3/19/11 5:37 p.m.

History of the World: part 1 has a pretty intense chariot chase..

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
3/19/11 5:39 p.m.

Eleven Harrowhouse is a 1974 movie about a diamond thief. There's a chase scene involving a Lotus Europa, a Ford Transit, a couple of Jaguar S-Types and a about a dozen horses. It's not a great chase, but I think it's probably the only chase scene ever filmed with a Europa.

Youtube link of chase

IMCDB Link

I've never seen the movie so I don't know if the Dino has any good scenes or not.

Bob

egnorant
egnorant Dork
3/19/11 7:06 p.m.

blues brothers

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/19/11 7:08 p.m.

Metal Skin...check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aAtlwm12LQ

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/19/11 8:01 p.m.

While the movie sucked sphincter, "Against All Odds" had a bitchin' chase scene.

ncjay
ncjay Reader
3/19/11 8:33 p.m.

The movie "Eat My Dust" with Ron Howard has a surprisingly good chase scene, but I have to go with "The Blues Brothers" for the obscene amount of cars demolished and the only car chase through a shopping mall that I've seen. If any other movie has a police chase through the mall, I haven't seen it.

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
3/19/11 8:33 p.m.

"To live and die in L.A." 2 cars on railroad tracks & train

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
3/19/11 8:36 p.m.

"Smokey & The Bandit" is about beer right ?

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
3/19/11 8:50 p.m.

What about Mr. Charlie Sheen in "The Wraith" (1986) ??

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
3/19/11 9:03 p.m.
stroker wrote: While the movie sucked sphincter, "Against All Odds" had a bitchin' chase scene.

I dunno- Rachel whatsername naked on that rock.......

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
3/19/11 9:33 p.m.

"Race with the devil" starring Peter Fonda (1975) sticks in my mind...

I do enjoy a movie where the vehicles are punished like a stolen rental !

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
3/19/11 9:39 p.m.

Of course who doesn't enjoy the scene where Arnold test drives the corvette in "True Lies" ??

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SImVTpKSyaZccm4jLGFFY2QEpkseFu3T73gaXetRpXdwpM6CzQ5eIy0Go26ca07S