1 2
jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
12/15/08 12:40 p.m.

I'm about 90 miles south of Keith at 8700 feet, and winter has arrived. I had 19 inches on my deck last Tuesday, and the forecast is for winter storm warnings the next couple of days at least. The Weather Channel's Weekly Planner shows snow for Colorado, at least, all week, and extremely cold temperatures north, so be sure to take winter survival gear - blankets, food, extra clothes, etc - and be careful. If it gets bad, hole up for a couple of days.

Good luck on the defense and thesis - I still remember mine 38 years ago! Not one of life's most fun experiences, but you'll get through it fine.

And yes, all the 18 wheelers around here have to chain up, too - and do. With the dropoffs we have, it's foolish not to. But a motel is often the best solution.

former520
former520 New Reader
12/15/08 3:51 p.m.

Watch for deer and have a safe trip. My younger brother abandoned a CRV in Butte at a body shop last week. Hopefully it will be done for him to pick up on his way back to Portland.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
12/15/08 10:10 p.m.

I don't know if you decided on Penske, but I used one of their trucks last week. We used the 26' model. Of course, there are no hills in Florida, so I don't know how it would handle that, but it held our 8,000 lbs well. (well... that's what it was rated for. Off the record, it may have been about twice that, but it is of course unverifiable ) I give them the thumbs up, and I'll definitely choose them over competitors in the future. The interior was really clean, and the rig looked close to new.

seann
seann Reader
12/16/08 9:35 a.m.

I made the last minute decision to go with PODS. Loaded it up yesterday and they should pick it up this morning. I'll be flying out next Monday. When I factored in gas and motels and AAA discount, it was only a couple hundred bucks more. I think it's worth it.

Defense went pretty well, revisions on my thesis should be completed before I take off. I'll have over the holidays to reflect on what a complete pain in the ass, writing a thesis was (over many a nog and whiskeys)

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
12/16/08 1:31 p.m.

It's my belief that MS thesis teaches you how not to do research, i.e. you get your mistakes out of the way early and find out whether that particular field of concentration lights your fire or needs to be redirected, and that the thesis and defense introduce you to dealing with real-world politics, particularly if a couple of professors on your committee disagree on some major point and both want you to support their view. Roll with it, and if you choose to continue on for the union card (PhD), you'll have an idea of what's ahead. Or not. Anyhow, contrats on getting through it. Did any of the "interrogators" ask questions designed to confirm that they are the top dogs and you are still a mere acolyte? If so, forget it and celebrate the egg nogs.

Sounds like a wise decision on the move, considering the weather and hassle factors. Good luck.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
12/18/08 4:33 p.m.

Based on the weather reports, looks like you made wise choice. See how smart a graduate degree made you!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jHQWqUzJOk8omrpxeXFeIs1KXrl6eaDl0oGQnC8tDTNYpRHJF8MeRHRXAOop6l8w