1 2 3
SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/10/18 11:54 a.m.

'06 Infinity M35X.  V6, AWD. Oh this is nice.

Original window sticker in the glove box, was a $65,000 CDN car when new.  We got it for $3900. Part of me is expecting something to fall off, burst into flames, and leave me stranded, but the car really presented well. Full dealer-only servicing since new, one owner. Average miles for the age. I'm really, really stoked.

This replaces the '02 Buick Century, painted Geriatric Gray, complete with large-print speedometer, and seats that fit a spheroidal octogenarian. I hated the Buick since day one (we bought it two years ago, from family, but I've known it since new), and while it too, was cheap, it's good to move that GM floating-couch goodness along and get back into something Japanese.

I'm stoked. This car is nice!

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
6/10/18 11:59 a.m.

Yeah, I’d take that over a Century every day! Sorry Buick lovers. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
6/10/18 2:35 p.m.

Holy crap you got a heck of a deal on that

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/10/18 3:16 p.m.

Those things are amazing places to spend time. You've done well. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/10/18 3:27 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Holy crap you got a heck of a deal on that

Sure is! 

And, thems is Canuck Bucks (or 1,950 in toonies) making it an even better deal  

Run_Away
Run_Away HalfDork
6/10/18 4:32 p.m.

Nice buy!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
6/11/18 8:06 p.m.

SCOREBOARD!!!!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/22/18 10:36 p.m.

Needs brakes, that's all I can tell so far.

Brakes arrived (yay Rock Auto)!

Took longer to get all the parts, because when I clicked "2" for each rotor, my fingers clicked "1" instead, so I had to re-order.

Also got wipers, filters, hood-holder-up-inators, and whatnot to make sure everything is maintained.

Nothing of death showing up in driving it yet.  I think we totally scored!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
6/23/18 9:08 a.m.

Enjoy, and keep us posted on how things go long term. I've been thinking about a RWD version with the manual for a DD.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/18/18 7:08 p.m.

One month update:

Did front and rear brakes.  Pads could have gone further, but there was quite the pulsation in the brakes.  Fixed.

Replaced the failed hood holder-up-inators.  Fixed!

The driver's seat bottom is worn/torn pretty badly. Local upholstery shop can't get replacement leather because these are air-conditioned seats, and the leather is perforated.  They suggested the dealer.  Dealer said I can get a set bottom for $1800.  When I came to, I checked ebay, and ended up ordering a passenger seat bottom for $70, which the upholstery guy figured he could swap centers for about $100.  Waiting on parts.

Fixed a slow leak in a tire.

Averaging 13.3L/100km according to its computer.  17.7mpg for you 'Muricans.  Mostly city driving.

The more -I- drive it, the more it shifts how and when I want.  The more my wife drives it, the less it shifts the way I want.  Interesting.

Stopped at the Infiniti dealer and explained that I bought the car for a really good price (I believe the Inifiniti dealer and the Wholesaler I bought from are owned by the same guy), and that I was curious if there was something in the service history that I should be afraid of or start preparing for. He rattled off its service history and things that were done.  He said this car has been properly cared for.

Nice!

First service is due in about 2000km's.  I'll be changing everything so it's clean slate.

Papabishop
Papabishop Reader
7/18/18 9:35 p.m.

Nice score, I bought 04 I35 about 6 months ago in same color! Mine was one owner dealer serviced that the guy got rid of it cheap due to hail damage, which is hardly  Noticeable. After 5k miles only issue I’ve had is starter went out, which was the easiest fwd starter I’ve ever replaced. Other then that been great vehicle, great all around DD, but yea gas mileage is poo

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/18/18 10:22 p.m.

The '02 Buick we had was rated at 18 city, and my daily driver (lumpy cam high compression Squarebody) gets 12.

I had a V8 Pinto once that got 5mpg, but that might have been an operator error.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/2/18 12:21 a.m.

Hmmmm.  CD player doesn't work.

Quick Google says that's common. There are folks out there who repair them. Allegedly there are replacement parts that can be purchased, but so far no luck in finding a link for any parts.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
8/2/18 12:52 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

All 00s Infinitis have iffy CD players. The cheap and simple "solution" is to buy something like an iSimple module that plugs into the satellite radio connector on the back of the head unit and gives you aux in or bluetooth/usb/aux depending on the model you choose

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/2/18 9:40 a.m.

The HU does bluetooth, but only phone - I can't seem to play music through it. Or maybe I'm missing something.

An aux input looks like an easy button.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
8/2/18 6:08 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Yeah, factory bluetooth only supports phone calls. The correct AUX kit for your M35 is the iSimple ISNI532 which normally goes for between $120 and $140 Canadian on eBay or Amazon. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/2/18 9:22 p.m.

I did a quick look online, but the ones I saw said I need a satellite-ready stereo to make it work.  Does this one?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
8/3/18 5:15 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

It should. If it doesn't have a button marked "AM-FM-SAT" just push the button that says "Radio" until it (hopefully) comes up with a message that tells you satellite radio is unavailable.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/15/18 8:55 p.m.

Good news everyone!

The passenger-side seat bottom ($107 US, shipped) arrived a few weeks ago. I bought some leather conditioner and soaked the interior and the "new" seat bottom. Yesterday I disconnected the battery, pulled the driver's seat (Airbag inside), and removed the damaged seat bottom and took both to the upholstery shop. For $60 CDN the center panel was replaced with the passenger side one, and the guy beefed up the foam a bit. I cannot tell that this was all done - excellent work!

In putting the seat back in, I noticed something was in the pocket in the seat back. Lo and Behold! An RCA to 1/8" Phono cable! I remembered watching a video where some guys popped the center console back off, and plugged in their own auxiliary input, patching into the DVD system or something.  Interesting.  So I poke around and I am able to open this secret door that reveals a lighter jack and your basic A/V RCAs. Cool!

Then I got thinking..... I wonder if the DVD player will play CDs.

Yes, yes it does.

Not technical fixed, but it will do what I need it to do.  Good times.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/16/18 5:10 p.m.

And with this sled your lower back is in heaven.............'bout time eh???

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/16/18 7:09 p.m.

Absolutely.  I NEVER was comfortable in the '02 Buick, no matter what I tried, even when I drove it when it was brand new. Horrible seats.  Buick has been sitting in the back yard for a month and a half now (did some minor repairs to make is more sellable), and every time I get into it to move it, I'm like Berkeley Me these are uncomfortable.  Have to get the Mrs. to sit in it again, now that's she's used to what seats are supposed to feel like.

Bought a filter and a jug of synthetic oil for the impending oil change next week.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/30/18 10:40 p.m.

Uh oh.

Trans acting weird.  Code P1757 "Front Brake Solenoid Valve."

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/31/18 9:47 p.m.

So, I'm at odds with myself over this.

My Interwebs Googlefu says the most likely cause is a broken trace in the valve body circuit board. Simple as a soldering job and it's good to go. Most shop-success stories are "I got a new valve body for $1000, Alex."

On the other hand, there is a pretty big "what if?" factor as well.  What if it's not that?  What if it's something else? What if, like cancer, we dig into it and discover the trans is pooched?

All this played against the fact that the wife needs the car for work, I am back to work next week, kids are back to school next week, and we ain't got time for this.

So I dropped it off at a good trans shop I've worked with before. They looked at it today and figure it -is- in fact electrical, they'll drop the pam and valve body next week.

Could I have dug into this with a likelihood of fixing it? Yes, I think so. But the "what if it all goes wrong" was strong. Plus I've had a good run of things going wrong the past couple months.  I didn't want more, at my own hands.

Anyone else go through a similar internal dilemma?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/4/18 8:05 p.m.

Well, the trans oil is super sparkly, and the shop suspects the converter is going out. So it the trans is getting rebuilt. 

Our Hella Sweet deal on the Infiniti is now just a "geez, that sure is a nice car."

Still, better than paying regular price and still needing a transmission.  This way we still have a really nice car, and a fresh trans.  Yay.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/4/18 8:51 p.m.

Dang!!!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d8T81rZVq5Rm9MgADWKuD9367A4Zbe9dH57NOtufYY4P5pCkaEEXPi19tFnUctFn